• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Air bridges with European countries given "green light"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howardh

Established Member
It's figurative - obviously "other holidays are available" :)
Like the one I still hope to go on in September, pretty well deserted beaches, quiet cafes and bars, nice walks around the countryside and far less cance of catching Covid than in Morrisons. Will admit that the airport and flight are a worry, but then again so are bus/train stations and buses/trains that I am catching regularly here.

I'm also staying on the south coast of the UK next week, in a very busy and probably packed resort/hotel/bars. The governenet seems to want tme to stay in the UK and catch/spread CV, but not abroad where the chances are musch, much lesser. The island I'm going to has a current case rate of 0/10,000 last time I looked.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Howardh

Established Member
It's interesting how entrenched views are on either side of this debate. This polarisation in our society is going to cause ructions over the next few months. My feeling is if we tried an 'elimination' strategy we will end up in the same place as Australia with The Rona spreading through the 'secure quarantine' system and back into the community - and the Australians have an effective customs and immigration regime. Whether we like it or not we are very closely integrated with mainland Europe. Now whether there should be more Europe and Near Europe co-operation on what strategy is best is another matter.

EDIT- Something else sprung to mind - even if we went down this route, the likely long list of 'exemptions' for sports stars and film crews and other groups favoured by BoJo will inevitably cause resentments and hatred....

I still maintain it will be interesting to see what happens the first time staycationers are blamed -rightly or wrongly- for an outbreak here in the UK. The screaming and shouting if the Saeson/Sassenach bring it into Wales or Scotland will be a sight to behold (I am a Celt BTW!!)
I could be wrong - when we get post, goods, foods etc from mainland europe there is a chance that covid could be on the packageing and contents, with the speed of service the virus hasn't had time to disappear, whereas for goods coming half the world, that takes more time. So if the UK wanted to isolate itself then that includes food, goods, post from europe unless they could be quarantined for a certain time.
Is that correct?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I could be wrong - when we get post, goods, foods etc from mainland europe there is a chance that covid could be on the packageing and contents, with the speed of service the virus hasn't had time to disappear, whereas for goods coming half the world, that takes more time. So if the UK wanted to isolate itself then that includes food, goods, post from europe unless they could be quarantined for a certain time.
Is that correct?

It's generally believed that the virus doesn't hang around on things like post for more than a couple of days, so sticking something in the post largely suffices in and of itself.

Reliablebeam

It's generally believed that the virus doesn't hang around on things like post for more than a couple of days, so sticking something in the post largely suffices in and of itself.

Some workplaces are taking this very seriously for domestic and international deliveries but that's a whole different set of mental gymnastics and off-topic....

Status
Not open for further replies.