• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Alfreton Station - What do the disused entrance doors lead to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intercity 225

Hi,

I recently used Alfreton station and noticed that there were two double doors right next to the main entrance that had been taken out of use with the windows covered in white paper so that you couldn't see what was behind.

Please look at the two photos below to visualise what I'm referring to:

Older photo before white paper applied to windows
watermark_no.php

More recent photo with white paper applied
SAM_9939.JPG

Does anyone know what is or was behind these doors? I asked the gentleman in the ticket office but he was unsure. I used this station as a child and seem to remember there being some form of secondary ticket kiosk there but I could be wrong... it was a long time ago!

Any information appreciated.

Many Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Looking at the layout of the building, wouldn't that room essentially be the back of the booking office? Unless they were new or on cover from elsewhere, I'd be very surprised if the clerk didn't know the ins and outs of a station that small. Were the signs in the window evident in both photographs not there when you visited, as that may give some clue?

70014IronDuke

Established Member
It was a Red Star Parcels office.

Yes, it appeared so, but that was just a cover. In fact, it was decided in the late 1960s that due to the abundant local coal supplies, Alfreton was far more suitable than Box to house the strategi ....agh, agh, a ... [sounds akin to strangulation] ...

Established Member
Yes, it appeared so, but that was just a cover. In fact, it was decided in the late 1960s that due to the abundant local coal supplies, Alfreton was far more suitable than Box to house the strategi ....agh, agh, a ... [sounds akin to strangulation] ...

Somebody made a film about that, called "Honey, I shrunk the strategic steam loco reserve..."

Intercity 225

Thanks for all the replies, a Red Star Parcels office makes perfect sense and correlates with my distant memory of it being some form of kiosk.

Also :lol: for the previous four posts!

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Hi,

I recently used Alfreton station and noticed that there were two double doors right next to the main entrance that had been taken out of use with the windows covered in white paper so that you couldn't see what was behind.

Does anyone know what is or was behind these doors? I asked the gentleman in the ticket office but he was unsure. I used this station as a child and seem to remember there being some form of secondary ticket kiosk there but I could be wrong... it was a long time ago!

Any information appreciated.

Many Thanks

There's a local legend that the doors lead through a secret time travelling portal and anyone going through it will find themselves back in the 1980s.

Although the doors are now locked, anyone wishing to have a similar time-travelling experience can simply catch a bus to Mansfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.