• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

all line rover ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

freelander

Hi all, anyone tell me how far in advance can you purchase a rover ticket from a station ticket office or online.

freelander

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

b9_624

In the manual issued to staff it says 3 days in advance. One ticket office clerk showed it me when I was trying to get hold of one back in August.

However this is not consistent across all ticket offices. A clerk at Barnsley was willing to sell one 7 days in advance, and I ended up getting mine 2-3 weeks in advance from Huddersfield. I believe the computer lets them be sold up to a year in advance, the issue is just finding a ticket office that’ll do it for you.

If you want your ALR in advance so you can get sleeper reservations, then from my experience this isn’t an issue. Just ring CS/GWR for your berths/reservations and tell them you’ll have an ALR if they ask. You don’t need to physically have the ticket with you.

StarCrossing

I can't give you an exact answer, but it's months rather than days or weeks when booking online.

Silver Cobra

When I purchased an ALR on GWR's website back in 2016, it was around 4 months before the date I intended to use it (purchased in April; used in August). I think they allow you to purchase rovers up to 6 months in advance on their website, perhaps even more than that.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
When I did an ALR I got my friendly local ticket office to do me the sleeper berth and seat reservations I needed several weeks in Advance. I didn't purchase the ALR itself until the day before I started my travels.

philthetube

Established Member
When I purchased an ALR on GWR's website back in 2016, it was around 4 months before the date I intended to use it (purchased in April; used in August). I think they allow you to purchase rovers up to 6 months in advance on their website, perhaps even more than that.
That could be worth doing to beat fare increases.

janb

In the manual issued to staff it says 3 days in advance. One ticket office clerk showed it me when I was trying to get hold of one back in August.

Interesting, was that a printout or an electronic screen?

Accessing The Manual,
Clicking on Fares Retailing Information > Issuing Tickets In Advance
And it gives the correct answer of up to 12 months in advance for "Rovers & Rangers".

David57

I think it depends on the issuing system, LondonMidland (as was) at Northampton could not issue for more than four weeks in advance, but EMT at Wellingborough were quite happy to issue with a longer period.

b9_624

Interesting, was that a printout or an electronic screen?

Accessing The Manual,
Clicking on Fares Retailing Information > Issuing Tickets In Advance
And it gives the correct answer of up to 12 months in advance for "Rovers & Rangers".

It was from a very thick book he had, I didn’t see the front cover. But it definitely said rovers and rangers can be issued up to 3 days in advance. He spent about 15 minutes finding the right page, if I’m being honest I didn’t want to bother waiting if he wasn’t going to sell it me anyway but I didn’t know how to get away :oops:

Sleepy

Established Member
If a guard was asked I'm sure he would happily sell an All Line Rover starting 15th January 2019 without hesitating !!

Parallel

Established Member
I've asked a guard if I could buy an ALR from him a day in advance (he was using Avantix), he said no and he could only sell tickets for on the day. So I bought it from the ticket office the next day instead.

janb

It was from a very thick book he had, I didn’t see the front cover. But it definitely said rovers and rangers can be issued up to 3 days in advance.

Kind of troubling when people are still reaching for books when the system has been electronic for 10 years. It used to say 3 days, but the relevant section of The Manual has said 1 year since at least 2012.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Kind of troubling when people are still reaching for books when the system has been electronic for 10 years. It used to say 3 days, but the relevant section of The Manual has said 1 year since at least 2012.
More like downright scary!

b9_624

Thanks for the clarification guys, I just took his word for it because I assumed he knew what he was doing... :p

Sleepy

Established Member
Perhaps that TOC's policy for guards is the case, regardless of ticket machine capability. I know Star mobile will issue ALR way ahead quite happily.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Those sort of high value transactions a long way ahead of the travel date can have a nasty whiff of credit card fraud about them. That may be why they are not allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.