All line Rover - when the dust settles

Discussion in 'Trip Planning & Reports' started by CumbrianSausag, 26 Mar 2020 at 08:01.

1. CumbrianSausag

CumbrianSausag Member

Morning,

Ash and I are going to do a 7 day all line when we’re finally allowed out, am interested in how other people on the forum would approach it.

We were thinking of visiting the extremities of the network, 2 nights on the sleeper seats, 2 in hotels, 2 back at home in Yorkshire.

Any advice on what to do, not to do, things that worked for you?

All thoughts much appreciated, guess we have plenty of time to plan.

Ta.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. dave87016

dave87016 Established Member

I’m pretty much doing the same thing as long there are beds available on the sleeper as they tend to be very busy in summer.

A short HST set from Cardiff - Penzance then the Cornish Night Riveria might be a good idea

4. xotGD

xotGD Established Member

Hotels? Nights at home?

When I was young and daft it was 6 nights on the rails!

Although after getting no sleep on the overnight from Preston to Aberdeen recently I was very grateful for a comfortable bed the next night.

I would suggest doing the overnight to Fort William - the scenery gives you an incentive to stay awake. Then there is the option of the kettle to Malling.

5. cactustwirly

cactustwirly Established Member

If you didn't have a hotel, where did you shower then?

6. _toommm_

_toommm_ Established Member

- The 17:16?? from Cardiff to Holyhead (or at least to Chester) in First Class. You get a three course meal for the reasonable upgrade price of £20 or £25, and it's cooked fresh in a kitchen just a few feet away from you.
    - The Fort Bill sleeper and then possibly the Jacobite to Mallaig. When I did this last summer, I then got the ferry to the Isle of Skye, spent a while there, then the coach to Kyle of Lochalsh and the train from there to Inverness which I'd fully recommend!

7. Gathursty

Gathursty Established Member

Two references to the Jacobite on an ALR thread. Whilst you can go on it, is the Jacobite valid with an ALR ticket?

8. fishquinn

fishquinn Established Member Associate Staff Quizmaster

Curveball suggestion - don't do an ALR. Instead (assuming international travel restrictions have been lifted) do an Interrail. It's considerably cheaper and more fun, with some amazing places and scenery to see on the way (and is a more flexible ticket too). The money you save by not forking out for an all line could then be spent on the additional hotels or berth supplements for Europe, or even extending the trip by a couple of days (as there are many lengths of ALRs available).

9. matt

matt Forum Staff Staff Member Global Moderator

No it is not.

10. Kite159

Kite159 Veteran Member

Just remember the sleeper seats are not as comfortable as they were on the old stock for Cally and just dreadful on the Night Riviera.

Also the Jacobite can sell out quite fast with tourists

11. cactustwirly

cactustwirly Established Member

Agreed!!
    Europe has some much more interesting traction/lines to visit, plus many more interesting cities.
    Nothing here comes close to a Taurus hauling EuroCity stock!!

12. xotGD

xotGD Established Member

Strip down in the toilet on the train for a wash and a change of smalls. Trying to find hot water was always a challenge!

13. alexf380

alexf380 Established Member

Depends what sort of thing you're after really. Masses of haulage? Mega mileage? New places? There are quite a few ALR trip reports on the forum, some more recent than others. Have a read and borrow some ideas.

14. sftfan1909

sftfan1909 Member

Totally this, not to say an ALR isn't a great idea but an Interrail is always better in my eyes

15. superalbs

superalbs Established Member

Assuming we get international travel back at the same time we do domestic...

16. CumbrianSausag

CumbrianSausag Member

Interail not for us, both got young families so need to be back home a couple of times to stave off divorce.
    Interests include remote shacks, variety, loco haulage, Scottish HSTs, anything about to disappear from our network.

17. JLH

JLH Member

Start the ALR mid week and have your nights at home on Friday and Saturday as these are the more expensive nights in hotels. Plan the Sunday carefully due to fewer services.

Personally I wouldn't bother with sleepers but that is because I have never managed to sleep on them.

The Cardiff to Holyhead once a day WAG train in business class is a must. If you do get to Penzance then try to fit in the line to St Ives as it is stunning.

I could go on but there are a lot of good reports online and a You Tube search will also give you ideas. For an enjoyable read, but a few years old now, take a look at: http://railwaydave.blogspot.com/2009/08/in-retrospect-all-line-rover-awards.html

18. xotGD

xotGD Established Member

You could go for the Class 68 challenge we discussed on another thread - travel behind 68s in Scotland, on Trans-Pennine and on Chiltern all in the same day.

Get the overnight from Euston to Inverkeithing the night before and away you go...

19. NorthWestRover

NorthWestRover Member

That sounds fun...