Alliance Blackpool service to be run by Grand Central and start spring 2020

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by The Planner, 7 Jun 2018.

1. pieguyrob

pieguyrob Member

Was looking forward to the launch of that service as well, as I live in Blackpool. Which is a bery surreal place at the moment.

2. swanhill41

swanhill41 Member

The chance of this franchise making a go of it,pre Covid-19 was very low,but after this problem has gone away,what will the playing field be like..?
    If it was me in charge ,would be checking to see if there was a low cost exit....Don't forget,all the proper franchises ,have temporarily been nationalised till further notice..So to be honest,no passengers,no need for further trains for the foreseeable future ?......Oh and no income....Unkown of course are the expenses already incurred....Frankly can only feel sympathy for them,with all the hard work put into getting the train service up and running,and then bang,no service.

3. pieguyrob

pieguyrob Member

My dad and myself were going to have a day out in London using this service. Doesn't look like its happening now. Also the bottom has fallen out of the taxi trade in Blackpool, so can't afford it anyway.

4. PG

PG Member

Going by posts by drivers on other threads it appears that for a route to remain on your card you'd need to drive it within 6 months otherwise you'd need to re-learn it. Not sure if the same applies for traction knowledge...

5. DoubleO

DoubleO Member

It's not a franchise, it's an expansion to an existing open access operation. The money must have been allocated to set the service up with limited services due to start in May, gradually ramping up to a full service later in the year, so in that respect there's actually no need to panic as those timescales COULD still be achievable. More of a concern is the sudden lack of income on GCs existing routes which presumably would have been helping to bankroll the investment for the Blackpool expansion....

6. Trogladyte

Trogladyte Member

Little bit too early to tell that

7. bunnahabhain

bunnahabhain Established Member

Except where you've just learned them, in which case you must work over the route or traction within 28 days. Also depending upon the TOC you either manage your own route/traction knowledge or its managed for you. For example for me I manage my own route knowledge so there are a small number of minor routes that I very rarely work but am still competent to go over them, the onus is upon me to put in a route refresh for that route as opposed to having it removed from my card automatically as can happen at other TOCs.

8. Bald Rick

Bald Rick Veteran Member

Let’s not forget two things:

1) the service wasn’t starting until June, with a slow ramp up; so it may be that by that time we are over the worst of this crisis, and train services might be close to getting back to normal.

2) Grand Central are owned by Arriva, who are supported by the German taxpayer.

9. philthetube

philthetube Established Member

Correct whether or not the question wa being asked.:p:p

10. PG

PG Member

Being an outsider I could only go with what I'd remembered from other posts, so you've helped fill in another gap in my ageing memory ;)

11. Chester1

Chester1 Established Member

3 ) Once this crisis ends there is likely to be a big surge in UK leisure travel for a few months. Its a good route to launch in time for a summer when flying abroad may not be possible.

12. pieguyrob

pieguyrob Member

All the hotel staff in Blackpool have been laid off, as far as I'm aware. Certainly at the hotels we have the contract with.

13. swanhill41

swanhill41 Member

I do not think that this open access company will get to the starting line...Just seen that Hull Trains have put up the closed to further notice sign up....This is with a train service that basically has 100% of customers Hull to KX,has a track record going back 10 plus years and has brand new stock....There is a strong hint that train services will not get back to approx normal till very late summer....Nope,no chance of the train service making any money,as even before my feeling as a local to Blackpool could not see a hope in hell of getting loadings that would have made a profit.....

14. Fyldeboy

Fyldeboy New Member

Whilst I share your lack of clarity as to how this will fund itself, I think we have to appreciate that Arriva will have done their research and pre-covid-19 this would have been in with a good chance of success. I suspect an introduction in the Autumn of 2020 at skeleton levels with an even slower ramp-up than initially planned.

15. LOL The Irony

LOL The Irony Established Member

Illuminations time though...

16. 38Cto15E

38Cto15E Member

Does that coincide with the festival of light,Diwali?
    Because of the virus, I would imagine that this new service will be delayed by 12 months, I cannot see many people using the service for the illuminations, then Blackpool is like a ghost town in the winter.

17. VT 390

VT 390 Established Member

Would it not make some sense to start it in the winter (December timetable change) with just 1 or 2 trains per day so they can launch the service when it is quieter so if there are any issues they can be resolved before lots of people use the service?