• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Alliance Rail application for paths between Waterloo and Southampton rejected

Status
Not open for further replies.

winks

I’ve always hoped of a Bournemouth to Brighton Service. Would this be possible ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I’ve always hoped of a Bournemouth to Brighton Service. Would this be possible ?
Capacity limitations on the west coastway would suggest it could only be done as an extension of an existing service, but I reckon only with today’s SWR timetable .

However there are going to be limits to overall capacity between Cosham and Bournemouth as well. SWR’s franchise agreement plans for an additional service from Portsmouth to Bournemouth (was to have been Weymouth), and for portion working of a Weymouth train west of Southampton, so I suggest there’ll be no room for a service along the coast.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Earlier suggestions about including Portsmouth in any through service along the coast would surely make it uncompetitive for time compared to the existing Southern service that runs direct. How long would be added 20-25 mins maybe?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I believe that you can arrive/depart from platform three in any direction (as long as your train is short enough) as whilst there is a full platform face (enough for 12-car I think) there is a junction in the middle which allows trains to go towards Hove but restricts the length to around 4-car.

Indeed, NSE ran a through service from Eastbourne or thereabouts to the West coastway. Remember catching it a couple of times, always to platform 3.

HowardGWR

Established Member
I should add that my suggestion of Exeter to Weymouth has the attraction that it would not involve changing. That is a big plus for pax, especially as there are so many retired in that area. A simple change at Weymouth could then get you as far as Portsmouth if that service was started, or at least to Southampton. It should however be limited stop and interleave with the present stopping services. It does need that cooperation between TOCs though. It doesn't need a new interloper.

Status
Not open for further replies.