• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Alstom Juniper PIS and TMS Systems Compared to ADtranz Electrostar PIS and TMS Systems Compared to Siemens Desiro PIS and TMS systems.

RacsoMoquette

I am interested to compare the PIS and TMS systems on the three unit families during the early days of the privatised railway. What is the TMS system akin to on the 1st generation Desiros? How did it look in the cab? I find the internal green flip dot displays on the Desiros to be reliable and easy to read. I have recently noticed the Desiros displays show a static station name to one side of the display when approaching the nest station after the announcement, have they always had this feature or is it a modification to the system? Also did the Desiros PIS in their early days have an all capitalised words in the centre of the display? I remember seeing a photograph of a Class 444 during their early days and it just read WEYMOUTH in capitals. Did all Desiro units feature this all capitalised static feature from new and when was it altered to the current system? Also are the Desiros able to display customised messages initiated by the driver e.g. "Merry Christmas" or something similar? I seem to remember seeing a photograph of this capability on a SWT Class 450 in the late noughties bearing a custom message akin to the latter. Is this feature still present or has it been disabled? Recently I have not seen any photographs of the phenomenon which leads me to believe it has been disabled, or the system modernised.

Alstom Coradia Juniper/1000- I know what the TMS system in the cap of these units looks akin to, it is blue and has an interesting font to it, What were the Class 460,458 and 334 internal PIS script like when new? I remember due to new RVAR legislation the PIS display housings were heightened on the Class 458s and Class 460s from 32mm to 35mm, however the Class 334 displays were not, for reference they still retain their original tiny red figures in their equally tiny housing. Why did the Class 334s displays never got heightened? are the RVAR regulations different in Scotland? Did the Class 458s and Class 460s have the same sequence that the Class 334s have? were the any differences in the format of the script? Did it feature any static messages? If anyone has a video clip of a Class 458/0 or a Class 460 PIS display (Before heightening with red text akin to the Class 334s) it would be most welcome! I think that the Class 180s and 175s also has the same height of displays to the Junipers, why were they not heightened? I presume the Coradia 1000s had some features non compliant with RVAR akin to the Junipers! while they still retain their original red text with poor syntax!

ADtranz Electrostar- In my opinion I think the Electrostar demonstrated the most contemporary PIS system, the orange LEDs really looked more modern that Siemens green flipdot and Alstoms outdated and unclear red LEDs! What was the TMS system in the cab of early Electrostars like? from memory the displays was grey and had a analogue clock outline with hands (albeit without numbers) It must have been robust and good quality seeing as the same examples lasted on new (Bombardier) builds right up until the 2010s

Images to reference SIEMENS DESIRO PIS DISPLAYS:
pf_450026-first.jpg

How long did the Central Trains/Silverlink Class 350/1s retain this announcement? Did it also have a versions saying “Silverlink” instead of “Central Trains”. Did they retain the same announcement bar the references for the defunct operators until London Midland Days? When was Julie Berry retrofitted to the fleet?

What were the original announcements of the 170s and the Class 377s and 375s? Did the Central Trains Class 170s also have the same DVA as the 350s?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RacsoMoquette

I seem to remember the LTS Rail Class 357/0s having a male voice before being fully changed to Julie Berry upon the same time the /2s and /3s entered service.
Did the Southern & Southeasterns Electrostars also have the same male voice before Julie Berry?
Did the external PIS indicators change to their existing state during the retrofit?
FOR REFERANCE:1715790767445.png

The display text appears to be much smaller and narrower, with all characters in one slide, without it having to scroll as with the new system!

mqdefault.jpg
For Example: The updated external PIS characters are far larger and clearer, however they scroll. Would anybody know when This modification was carried out to the fleet?

Last edited:

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I seem to remember the LTS Rail Class 357/0s having a male voice before being fully changed to Julie Berry upon the same time the /2s and /3s entered service.
Did the Southern & Southeasterns Electrostars also have the same male voice before Julie Berry?
Did the external PIS indicators change to their existing state during the retrofit?
FOR REFERANCE:View attachment 158172

The display text appears to be much smaller and narrower, with all characters in one slide, without it having to scroll as with the new system!

mqdefault.jpg
For Example: The updated external PIS characters are far larger and clearer, however they scroll. Would anybody know when This modification was carried out to the fleet?
This confuses me on SWR 158s too. They cram "London Waterloo" and "Exeter St David's" in tiny letters over two lines, as with that early 377 above, but then "Chandler's Ford" is large, one line, and scrolling.

wls1

Not sure of when they were first introduced, however before Julie Berry, c2c onboard announcements were done by a different female voice, this is the only video I have been able to find of one here:

also note that they say "Great Eastern" services to Romford in 2008! They also kept National Express on there well into Greater Anglia and Silverlink well into London Overground.

stadler

I am interested to compare the PIS and TMS systems on the three unit families during the early days of the privatised railway. What is the TMS system akin to on the 1st generation Desiros? How did it look in the cab? I find the internal green flip dot displays on the Desiros to be reliable and easy to read. I have recently noticed the Desiros displays show a static station name to one side of the display when approaching the nest station after the announcement, have they always had this feature or is it a modification to the system? Also did the Desiros PIS in their early days have an all capitalised words in the centre of the display? I remember seeing a photograph of a Class 444 during their early days and it just read WEYMOUTH in capitals. Did all Desiro units feature this all capitalised static feature from new and when was it altered to the current system? Also are the Desiros able to display customised messages initiated by the driver e.g. "Merry Christmas" or something similar? I seem to remember seeing a photograph of this capability on a SWT Class 450 in the late noughties bearing a custom message akin to the latter. Is this feature still present or has it been disabled? Recently I have not seen any photographs of the phenomenon which leads me to believe it has been disabled, or the system modernised.

Alstom Coradia Juniper/1000- I know what the TMS system in the cap of these units looks akin to, it is blue and has an interesting font to it, What were the Class 460,458 and 334 internal PIS script like when new? I remember due to new RVAR legislation the PIS display housings were heightened on the Class 458s and Class 460s from 32mm to 35mm, however the Class 334 displays were not, for reference they still retain their original tiny red figures in their equally tiny housing. Why did the Class 334s displays never got heightened? are the RVAR regulations different in Scotland? Did the Class 458s and Class 460s have the same sequence that the Class 334s have? were the any differences in the format of the script? Did it feature any static messages? If anyone has a video clip of a Class 458/0 or a Class 460 PIS display (Before heightening with red text akin to the Class 334s) it would be most welcome! I think that the Class 180s and 175s also has the same height of displays to the Junipers, why were they not heightened? I presume the Coradia 1000s had some features non compliant with RVAR akin to the Junipers! while they still retain their original red text with poor syntax!

ADtranz Electrostar- In my opinion I think the Electrostar demonstrated the most contemporary PIS system, the orange LEDs really looked more modern that Siemens green flipdot and Alstoms outdated and unclear red LEDs! What was the TMS system in the cab of early Electrostars like? from memory the displays was grey and had a analogue clock outline with hands (albeit without numbers) It must have been robust and good quality seeing as the same examples lasted on new (Bombardier) builds right up until the 2010s

Images to reference SIEMENS DESIRO PIS DISPLAYS:
pf_450026-first.jpg

How long did the Central Trains/Silverlink Class 350/1s retain this announcement? Did it also have a versions saying “Silverlink” instead of “Central Trains”. Did they retain the same announcement bar the references for the defunct operators until London Midland Days? When was Julie Berry retrofitted to the fleet?

What were the original announcements of the 170s and the Class 377s and 375s? Did the Central Trains Class 170s also have the same DVA as the 350s?
The announcements on Silverlink were the same but said "welcome onboard this Silverlink County service to" so they did indeed have a Silverlink version on the 350s. Silverlink was always announced as Silverlink County (for what is now the LM/LNWR services) or Silverlink Metro (for what is now the LO services) and even the station announcements said this. Julie Berry was introduced in mid 2008 about six months after LM took over.

The 375s and 377s have had the same exact automated announcements since they were introduced. The announcements today are still the same as when they were introduced. Of course there has been minor changes such as the TOC name but nothing major. It has been Julie Berry from day one. So the automated announcements are pretty much unchanged.

The CT 170s and MM 170s never had any automated announcements. So there was nothing playing on these. The LM 170s also did not have any automated announcements either. The screens worked but there was no automated announcements. The XC 170s are still like this today.

FOR REFERANCE:View attachment 158172

mqdefault.jpg
The 357s had a different female voice up until 2008 when Julie Berry was introduced. They never had a male voice. You might be thinking of the FGE/ONE 360s which had a male voice until 2008. Also the HC 360s had a different male voice too until 2008. Finally the HX 360 (the ITT unit 205) had yet another male voice until 2014.