• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Am I entitled to anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intercity Guy

Hi

I was wondering if anyone could advise me if I would be entitled to any compensation due to delays yesterday.

I was travelling from London Bridge to Billingshurst changing at Three Bridges, catching the 8:39 off London Bridge and then the 9:21 off Three Bridges to arrive at Billingshurst at 9:45. The 9:21 was cancelled and the Horsham services after were cancelled as well and the next service wasn't until 10:20. As I didn't want to wait for 1 hour at Three Bridges with no guarantee the 10:20 off Three Bridges wouldn't be cancelled ( This service was 14 late into Three Bridges) I decided to stay on to Haywards Heath and then take a taxi over to Billingshurst eventually arriving at 10:05.

Would I be entitled to any Delay repay or the taxi fare reimbursed or will Southern just say I should have waited at Three Bridges regardless if services are cancelled and could have been stuck for over 2 hours?

Any advice will be greatly received.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Hi

I was wondering if anyone could advise me if I would be entitled to any compensation due to delays yesterday.

I was travelling from London Bridge to Billingshurst changing at Three Bridges, catching the 8:39 off London Bridge and then the 9:21 off Three Bridges to arrive at Billingshurst at 9:45. The 9:21 was cancelled and the Horsham services after were cancelled as well and the next service wasn't until 10:20. As I didn't want to wait for 1 hour at Three Bridges with no guarantee the 10:20 off Three Bridges wouldn't be cancelled ( This service was 14 late into Three Bridges) I decided to stay on to Haywards Heath and then take a taxi over to Billingshurst eventually arriving at 10:05.

Would I be entitled to any Delay repay or the taxi fare reimbursed or will Southern just say I should have waited at Three Bridges regardless if services are cancelled and could have been stuck for over 2 hours?

Any advice will be greatly received.
You are entitled to Delay Repay based on your actual arrival time at Billingshurst - but as this puts you into the 15-29 minute delay category, you will only get 12.5% of a return or 25% of a single back.

Did you attempt to contact GTR and ask them for advice, or to book you a taxi, before deciding to continue to Haywards Heath and taking your taxi? It's unlikely that you would be entitled to be reimbursed for the cost of your taxi if you failed to do so, especially given the context of the expected delay otherwise being 'just' an hour or so.

In theory you should submit your Delay Repay claim with a comment indicating what you did - your claim may otherwise be overpaid on the assumption you waited for the next train. However, doing so may cause your claim to be declined on the basis that 'your ticket wasn't valid to go via Haywards Heath' for instance. I suppose it's down to your conscience whether you'd rather have the claim potentially overpaid or declined.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Concur with @Watershed. Don't reckon that you're entitled to any reimbursement of your taxi fare given the circumstances you describe, and you shouldn't really have travelled onwards from Three Bridges to Haywards Heath, as your ticket (to Billingshurst) wasn't valid that way.

Am I entitled to anything? No.

Chalk this one up to experience!

Status
Not open for further replies.