• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Am I really getting a zones 1-6 Travelcard for just a fiver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jednick

I usually book a journey to London online, and when I get there I buy the one-day off-peak zones 1-6 Travelcard (itself costing just over £13).

Using the CrossCountry app, I've found an advance purchase ticket from my local station to London Euston at a price I want to pay.

I tried changing the destination from Euston to "London Underground Zones 1-6". This costs me £5.10 extra. The itinerary is exactly the same from my home station to Euston.

I assume that "London Underground Zones 1-6" will actually give me my ticket to Euston plus a zones 1-6 Travelcard, but can somebody please confirm this.

My real question, though, is how can this Travelcard cost me just £5.10 extra? Is there generally a massive discount if bought as an add-on to a rail ticket?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I usually book a journey to London online, and when I get there I buy the one-day off-peak zones 1-6 Travelcard (itself costing just over £13).

Using the CrossCountry app, I've found an advance purchase ticket from my local station to London Euston at a price I want to pay.

I tried changing the destination from Euston to "London Underground Zones 1 - 6". This costs me £5.10 extra.

I assume that "London Underground Zones 1-6" will actually give me my ticket to Euston plus a zones 1-6 Travelcard, but can somebody please confirm this.

My real question, though, is how can this Travelcard cost me just £5.10 extra? Is there generally a massive discount if bought as an add-on to a rail ticket?
I don’t think you have a travelcard, but a point to point ticket from your station to any LU station in zones 1-6.
An outboundary “travelcard” is a return fare printed on a single coupon, I don’t think you can get one as an “advance”.

northken

I tried changing the destination from Euston to "London Underground Zones 1-6". This costs me £5.10 extra.

It's not a Travelcard; it permits you to make a single journey using London Underground/DLR services to a tube or DLR station in Zones 1 to 6.

James H

Depending on what you are doing, you may well find using Contactless for your travel in London is more advantageous than shelling out £13 for a paper Travelcard

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
From where exactly do you travel to London?

If an outboundary travelcard is available then it might work out cheaper compared to two Advance singles plus inboundary travelcard.

jednick

From where exactly do you travel to London?

If an outboundary travelcard is available then it might work out cheaper compared to two Advance singles plus inboundary travelcard.
I'm travelling from Worcester Shrub Hill. The ticket I'm buying is via Birmingham / Northampton.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
An Off Peak Day Outboundary Travelcard from Worcester to London Zones 1-6 is £39.10 routed WMT/LNR Trains only.

This allows you to travel from Worcester to London Euston on WMT and LNR trains (there is no need to travel via Northampton, often it's quicker to change at Rugby onto a service that's originated at Crewe and avoids Northampton). You can use trains, underground and buses in London Zones 1-6 and then travel back to Worcester.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
As others have stated, the price you quote is the price of a single fare from a station in Zone 1 to a station in Zone 6 at peak time paying by Oyster or Conactless. Off peak it would be £3.10 on Oyster/Contactless.
Cash it would cost £6.00

Status
Not open for further replies.