• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Amended timetable due to hot weather - 19 June 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alfie1014

GA have an amended timetable for today due to the 'extreme' heat, see; basically service thinned out on the GEML after midday, only houlry Liv St - Norwich for example.

https://www.greateranglia.co.uk/travel-information/service-disruptions/amended-train-service-monday-19-june-2017-due-heat-related
As a result of high temperatures across the region, speed restrictions have been imposed to protect the infrastructure on Monday 19th June. The reduced speeds prevent rails from buckling, as the lower speeds exert less pressure on the rail and they protect overhead lines, which can sag during high temperatures.

As a consequence of the slower speeds, Greater Anglia have had to reduce the train service. The following services have been cancelled or amended:

London to Norwich
12.00 London Liv St to Norwich – Cancelled
13.00 London Liv St to Norwich – Cancelled
14.00 London Liv St to Norwich – Cancelled
15.00 London Liv St to Norwich – Cancelled
16.00 London Liv St to Norwich – Cancelled
17.00 London Liv St to Norwich – Cancelled
17.50 London Liv St to Norwich – Cancelled
19.00 London Liv St to Norwich – Cancelled

Norwich to London
09:30 Norwich to London Liv St - Cancelled
10:30 Norwich to London Liv St - Cancelled
11:30 Norwich to London Liv St - Cancelled
12.30 Norwich to London Liv St – Cancelled
13.30 Norwich to London Liv St – Cancelled
14.30 Norwich to London Liv St – Cancelled
15.30 Norwich to London Liv St – Cancelled
16.30 Norwich to London Liv St – Cancelled
17.30 Norwich to London Liv St – Cancelled
18.30 Norwich to London Liv St - Cancelled

London to Ipswich
17.18 London Liv St to Ipswich – Cancelled
18.18 London Liv St to Ipswich – Cancelled

Ipswich to London
15.52 Ipswich to London Liv St – Cancelled
18.49 Ipswich to London Liv St – Cancelled
19.52 Ipswich to London Liv St – Cancelled

Southend to London
10.50 Southend Victoria to London Liv St – Cancelled
11.50 Southend Victoria to London Liv St – Cancelled
12.10 Southend Victoria to London Liv St – Terminates at Shenfield
12.50 Southend Victoria to London Liv St – Cancelled
13.10 Southend Victoria to London Liv St – Cancelled
13.50 Southend Victoria to London Liv St – Cancelled
14.10 Southend Victoria to London Liv St – Cancelled
16.10 Southend Victoria to London Liv St – Cancelled
17.25 Southend Victoria to London Liv St – Cancelled
18.20 Southend Victoria to London Liv St – Cancelled
19.10 Southend Victoria to London Liv St – Cancelled

London to Southend
12.13 London Liv St to Southend Victoria – Cancelled
13.13 London Liv St to Southend Victoria – Cancelled
14.13 London Liv St to Southend Victoria – Cancelled
15.13 London Liv St to Southend Victoria – Cancelled
15.35 London Liv St to Southend Victoria – Formed of 4 coaches, not 8
17.15 London Liv St to Southend Victoria – Formed of 8 coaches, not 12
17.25 London Liv St to Southend Victoria – Cancelled
18.35 London Liv St to Southend Victoria – Cancelled
19.35 London Liv St to Southend Victoria – Cancelled
20.35 London Liv St to Southend Victoria – Cancelled

London to Braintree
12.48 London Liv St to Braintree – Starts at Ingatestone
13.48 London Liv St to Braintree – Starts at Ingatestone
14.48 London Liv St to Braintree – Formed of 8 coaches, not 12
15.48 London Liv St to Braintree – Cancelled
17.20 London Liv St to Braintree – Starts at Witham
18.00 London Liv St to Braintree – Starts at Witham

Braintree to London
16.00 Braintree to London Liv St – Formed of 8 coaches, not 12
17.00 Braintree to London Liv St – Terminates at Witham
18.33 Braintree to London Liv St – Terminates at Witham
19.25 Braintree to London Liv St – Cancelled

Southminster services
17.22 London Liv St to Southminster – Cancelled
18.36 Southminster to Shenfield – Cancelled

Witham services
16.17 London Liv St to Witham – Cancelled.
18.16 Witham to London Liv St – Cancelled

Clacton services
17.32 London Liv St to Clacton On Sea – Starts at Colchester

Greater Anglia and Network Rail are sorry if your journey has been affected by this disruption.

Advance purchase tickets holders will be allowed to travel on earlier or later trains if their booked service is cancelled.

If your journey with us has been delayed by 30 minutes or more, you may be entitled to compensation for a portion of your fare. Please visit http://www.greateranglia.co.uk/about-us/our-performance/delay-repay for details

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trainfan344

Established Member
14:30 ex Norwich and 17:00 Ex Liverpool Street now re-instated according to twitter.

dave75

I feel sorry for the GA Twitter and customer services team today!
I feel sorry for the Chelmsford commuters (yes myself included).

This means at the start of the main evening peak, 3 straight 12 car trains are cancelled (17:18, 17:20, 17:32).

This does not seem particularly clever planning.

westv

Established Member
I'm so glad my days of travelling on GA "oven class" London to Wickford are a distant memory.

TheEdge

Established Member
I feel sorry for the Chelmsford commuters (yes myself included).

This means at the start of the main evening peak, 3 straight 12 car trains are cancelled (17:18, 17:20, 17:32).

This does not seem particularly clever planning.

It'll be better than when the standard timetable intensity causes a buckled rail or something drags the wires down, then you'll have no trains.

Mugby

Established Member
What happens to the train crews which are not required? Do they still have to report for duty?

Class 466

Established Member
So far it's not going too badly on SE, only 2 30MPH Heat related ESRs imposed on the Hastings Line (Covering about 4 miles).

In previous years, NR would have already imposed restrictions across the network, but nothing much thus far...

dave75

It'll be better than when the standard timetable intensity causes a buckled rail or something drags the wires down, then you'll have no trains.

I think my point is the poor planning. Cancelling 3 services in a row and leaving a 26 minute gap between mainline GEML trains going to Chelmsford and beyond seems a little odd between 5 & 6pm.

If you're going to have a summer contingency timetable for heat, then leaving one of the busiest stations without a calling service from London for 26 minutes is poor planning IMO.

westv

Established Member
Why no "timetable amendments" on the old WAGN side of GA?

Alfie1014

Sadly doesn't seem to be getting better. The 11:00 NRW-LST sat down somewhere between Gidea Paek and Ilford for 20 mins or more and now the 12:30 LST-NRW has been at a stand without power for nearly an hour in the same area. Down Main currently blocked Forest Gate Jn to Gidea Park. Some of the rural diesel services seem to be suffering too.

Alfie1014

Reason usually given is the old OLE in the London area isn't tensioned so sags easily. Though much has been replaced probably 90%+ there are still some old sections to be done especially in the Ilford area, where it appears there have been problems today.

Alfie1014

It also appears that the 13:00 NRW-LST didn't get any further than Trowse, now returning to the station, hauled by the station pilot or something else possibly?

rebmcr

Established Member
In previous years, NR would have already imposed restrictions across the network, but nothing much thus far...

Has there been an improvements programme that we (other than GA, sorry) are now seeing the benefits of?

Alfie1014

Passengers now being evacuated from the 12:30 LST - NRW which as been stuck near Goodmayes for over 2 hours with no power. Police and ambulance in attendance for some passengers suffering from the heat. Down Line between Church Lane Xovers (nr Ingatestone) and Chelmsford now blocked all services having to use the Up Line. 13:30 ex Liv St has arrived at Chelmsford around 70 late. Not all good day my thoughts are with all the staff doing their best on the ground.

jamie_r

Are stations not able to shut up the automated tannoy? I'm currently at Ipswich waiting for the 13:44 to Norwich (yes I know it's 15:25), and the tannoy continues to sound off about all and sundry of train being cancelled. It also announced the arrival of a train to a platform five minutes before it arrived. Someone has been doing manual announcements but when the most recently one finished the tannoy jumped to part-way through announcing the diagram of a train to Cambridge!

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Are stations not able to shut up the automated tannoy? I'm currently at Ipswich waiting for the 13:44 to Norwich (yes I know it's 15:25), and the tannoy continues to sound off about all and sundry of train being cancelled. It also announced the arrival of a train to a platform five minutes before it arrived. Someone has been doing manual announcements but when the most recently one finished the tannoy jumped to part-way through announcing the diagram of a train to Cambridge!

Didn't know diagrams were announced over the tannoy. Something strange going on if they are. Never mind, I think I can grasp what you mean.:):):)

dk1

Veteran Member
What happens to the train crews which are not required? Do they still have to report for duty?

Of course. They will become spare/standby which hopefully means many will get an early day as these can then do others 'last bit'. It will be even stuffier in the messrooms today if they are full & standing.

Kristofferson

I feel sorry for the Chelmsford commuters
Even when the trains are running, they have a pretty poor deal... Property and rent prices aren't far off Greater London, yet it's a much longer journey at 40 minutes and the season ticket prices are far higher! :lol: Whoever marketed Chelmsford as a commuter town (sorry, city...) was certainly an optimist...

delticdave

Probably because the WAGN side network was electrified new with AC power & tensioned OHLE.

The remaining original & untensioned ex. 1.5 kV DC OHLE, as is still in use at at Manor Park has been known to droop in hot weather, which is why it's being replaced............

ScotGG

Established Member
Cannon Street now entriely closed after signal issues and a broken down Southeastern train which begun about 3 hours ago. London bridge not much better. Failures on the Sidcup Line. Some passengers stuck in SE Metro trains (none have air con) for at least an hour

fgwrich

Established Member
Does anyone know what's causing severe delays along the GWML this evening? Just as I type this at 18:50 the 16:53 is just arriving, while Reading is a chorus of "We are sorry to announce"...

FOH

5MPH ESRs between Streatham Hill and West Norwood and between Crystal Palace and Norwood Jn

Darandio

Established Member
Does anyone know what's causing severe delays along the GWML this evening? Just as I type this at 18:50 the 16:53 is just arriving, while Reading is a chorus of "We are sorry to announce"...

I'm guessing this from NRE?

The obstruction on the track between Hayes & Harlington and London Paddington has been removed allowing all lines to reopen.

Major disruption is expected until 19:00 due to trains and train crew being out of position.

LAX54

Established Member
Sadly doesn't seem to be getting better. The 11:00 NOR-LST saat down somewhere between Gidea Paek and Ilford for 20 mins or more and now the 12:30 LST-NOR has been at a stand without power for nearly an hour in the same area. Down Main currently blocked Forest Gate Jn to Gidea Park. Some of the rural diesel services seem to be suffering too.

Think an ECS lost its pan, damaging the OHL in the process, with 1P28 ending up in a dead section :(

Status
Not open for further replies.