• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Amended timetable due to hot weather - 19 June 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I think my point is the poor planning. Cancelling 3 services in a row and leaving a 26 minute gap between mainline GEML trains going to Chelmsford and beyond seems a little odd between 5 & 6pm.

If you're going to have a summer contingency timetable for heat, then leaving one of the busiest stations without a calling service from London for 26 minutes is poor planning IMO.

When I saw that, knowing I would have to travel at around that time, I chose not to bother at all. I certainly have some sympathy with your view.

FGW_DID

Established Member
Does anyone know what's causing severe delays along the GWML this evening? Just as I type this at 18:50 the 16:53 is just arriving, while Reading is a chorus of "We are sorry to announce"...

Take your pick:

1. An exploding pigeon (yes you did read that right! :lol: ) at West Ealing.

2. 6L21 stopped to examine train near Newbury / Aldermaston after a report of smoke from one of the wagons.

3. Points failure at Southcote Jn

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Take your pick:

1. An exploding pigeon (yes you did read that right! :lol: ) at West Ealing.

2. 6L21 stopped to examine train near Newbury / Aldermaston after a report of smoke from one of the wagons.

3. Points failure at Southcote Jn

Re the exploding pigeon, I believe the pigeon came into contact with the OHLE and exploded, the said explosion causing masonry from a bridge to drop onto the track and platform. At least that's what I've learnt from a Facebook page and later from GWR Tweets.

Last edited:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
GWR (and posted on BBC Travel Text) say difficulty in maintaining the Cardiff to Portsmouth Hbr service due to so many units falling down, the usual patter "more than usual undergoing repair", but will attempt to run the last services of the day in each direction. 2 x 158/9s worked down to Paignton today but they set off before the bubble burst.

D1009

Established Member
GWR (and posted on BBC Travel Text) say difficulty in maintaining the Cardiff to Portsmouth Hbr service due to so many units falling down, the usual patter "more than usual undergoing repair", but will attempt to run the last services of the day in each direction. 2 x 158/9s worked down to Paignton today but they set off before the bubble burst.
It's not the first time 158/9s have been deployed on other routes to the detriment of the Pompey service. I was not impressed to be presented with 150926 for my journey back from Salisbury last Wednesday on 1F34. Warm day, all windows open, high pollen levels, many people sneezing.

D1009

Established Member
It's not the first time 158/9s have been deployed on other routes to the detriment of the Pompey service. I was not impressed to be presented with 150926 for my journey back from Salisbury last Wednesday on 1F34. Warm day, all windows open, very high pollen levels, many people sneezing.

Starmill

Veteran Member
There has been quite a bit of work done on replacing overhead line equipment in the Shenfield area hasn't there? I'm not sure if its complete, or if the project had any further phases planned. Hopefully it has helped today.

dave75

When I saw that, knowing I would have to travel at around that time, I chose not to bother at all. I certainly have some sympathy with your view.

Turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Seeing as friends who got the earlier trains were significantly delayed due to signal failure anyway.

My original point stands though......

Hope this isn't true - extremely unprofessional if it is:

@LondonMidland 16:50 Euston to Northampton #roasting. #noaircon [emoji30]

@LondonMidland No trace of the guard

--------------------

@LondonMidland I'm on the same train. She's in her air conditioned office in my carriage and when people try to complain she asks them to close the door.

------------------------

Crazy temperature @LondonMidland EUS 1650. Guard asking people not to open her office door to complain as her aircon works & it lets heat in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

83G/84D

Established Member
Re the exploding pigeon, I believe the pigeon came into contact with the OHLE and exploded, the said explosion causing masonry from a bridge to drop onto the track and platform. At least that's what another Forum says.

Nearly correct from what I hear, pigeon hit OHLE and then collided with bridge. This caused cracks on bridge that had to be attended by a bridge examiner. OHLE also tripped causing disruption.

Must have been some pigeon!

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
South West Trains has some signal failures yesterday. Were they caused by the heat?

I'm surprised they weren't more affected yesterday. Be interesting to know what's been done that has stopped them being so affected? It's good news for passengers if improvements have lead to less heat related issues.

Obviously those with 15-30 minute delays to their services might disagree with the notation of improvements but they can't please everyone.

BestWestern

Established Member
Hope this isn't true - extremely unprofessional if it is:

@LondonMidland 16:50 Euston to Northampton #roasting. #noaircon [emoji30]

@LondonMidland No trace of the guard

--------------------

@LondonMidland I'm on the same train. She's in her air conditioned office in my carriage and when people try to complain she asks them to close the door.

------------------------

Crazy temperature @LondonMidland EUS 1650. Guard asking people not to open her office door to complain as her aircon works & it lets heat in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like nonsense. What's the traction? If her 'office' is within the carriage (350?) then she'd be getting the same aircon as everybody else, if it was the back cab the punters wouldn't be able to open her door of their own accord.

BestWestern

Established Member
It's not the first time 158/9s have been deployed on other routes to the detriment of the Pompey service. I was not impressed to be presented with 150926 for my journey back from Salisbury last Wednesday on 1F34. Warm day, all windows open, high pollen levels, many people sneezing.

It's highly likely the sets were sent 'off patch' in order to work diagrams of shorter distances due to the above mentioned aircon issues, thus offering less discomfort to travellers than if they were left on the Pompey - Cardiff runs. A 150 with the hoppers open is considerably more tolerable than a 158 with no cool air at all (the four opening windows per car aren't very effective).

Sounds like nonsense. What's the traction? If her 'office' is within the carriage (350?) then she'd be getting the same aircon as everybody else, if it was the back cab the punters wouldn't be able to open her door of their own accord.

RTT is saying it was 1Y61 - scheduled as a Class 350 EMU

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
It's highly likely the sets were sent 'off patch' in order to work diagrams of shorter distances due to the above mentioned aircon issues, thus offering less discomfort to travellers than if they were left on the Pompey - Cardiff runs. A 150 with the hoppers open is considerably more tolerable than a 158 with no cool air at all (the four opening windows per car aren't very effective).

They were actually allocated to these jobs early in the morning because things really went pear shaped and may have been the only units available and, at the start of the day, it could have been that all 158/9 jobs had been covered by 158/9s except for one starting at Fratton, maybe, which would have been in the wrong place to do any juggling. Some were stopped due to Air-Con failures during the day (or an inefficient product).

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

Three Cardiff to Portsmouth circuits today reduced to 2 Cars. identities unknown apart from one being a 150/1. In addition, 0859 Brighton to Great Malvern starting Bristol TM due to shortage of a unit at Fratton as a result of cancellations last night. Also 0600 Portsmouth Hbr to Cardiff terminated at Bristol TM due train fault and it's return (1030 ex CDF) will start Bristol TM.

FartinLewis

Amended services again from 12noon until 9pm on Greater Anglia, I hope this won't be a repeat of Monday when I was 3 hours late home!

Any other services affected?

sk688

And now we just sit and wait for the Daily Heil to publish a completely overexaggerated , OTT , most likely false article , about heat and the railways

BestWestern

Established Member
They were actually allocated to these jobs early in the morning because things really went pear shaped and may have been the only units available and, at the start of the day, it could have been that all 158/9 jobs had been covered by 158/9s except for one starting at Fratton, maybe, which would have been in the wrong place to do any juggling. Some were stopped due to Air-Con failures during the day (or an inefficient product).

I'd be very surprised if the Marsh hadn't begun to put those 158s with known A/C problems out on other diagrams, to prevent having to deal with the inevitable crew failures during the day?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I'd be very surprised if the Marsh hadn't begun to put those 158s with known A/C problems out on other diagrams, to prevent having to deal with the inevitable crew failures during the day?

158/9 working 150/9 job on Severn Beach route this morning. I've already posted elsewhere that the 3 overnighter 158/9s at Fratton last night were in the guise of 150202/150001 and 150122 and one of these must have failed as the 0859 Brighton to Great Malvern started Westbury due train fault.

_Morsey_

Had a 3 carriage class 175 ATW service towards Milford Haven yesterday, and heading into Cardiff Central there was an announcement over the speakers saying that we all had to alight and change trains. No reason given but they put us on a 2 carriage class 150.

It's fair to say that in the stifling heat, I much preferred the air con of the class 175 as opposed to the open windows...

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Had a 3 carriage class 175 ATW service towards Milford Haven yesterday, and heading into Cardiff Central there was an announcement over the speakers saying that we all had to alight and change trains. No reason given but they put us on a 2 carriage class 150.

It's fair to say that in the stifling heat, I much preferred the air con of the class 175 as opposed to the open windows...

Were you running late or not and what time was the train ? Because, if a train down the Marches is running late a fresh train will be started from at Cardiff at Right Time.

Class 466

Established Member
There's currently a threat of some additonal ESRs across Kent, a points failure at Cannon St and a route setting fault at Charing Cross - however any disruption isn't likely to flag up after this mornings disruption caused by the train I commute in on hitting someone at Hither Green.

341o2

Established Member
South West Trains has some signal failures yesterday. Were they caused by the heat?

I'm surprised they weren't more affected yesterday. Be interesting to know what's been done that has stopped them being so affected? It's good news for passengers if improvements have lead to less heat related issues.

Obviously those with 15-30 minute delays to their services might disagree with the notation of improvements but they can't please everyone.

Apparently the track buckled due to heat in the vicinity of Totton on Saturday

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/15355955.Hundreds_left_queuing_at_Bournemouth_Railway_Station_after__track_buckles_in_heat_/

RAIL passengers travelling between Bournemouth and Southampton have described "chaotic scenes" when the service was suspended on Saturday afternoon after the track apparently buckled in the heat.

On one of the busiest travel days in the south this year, and with temperatures soaring, reported track problems at Totton caused the suspension of all services between Southampton Central and Bournemouth railway stations for several hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.