• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Amsterdam - London on the train

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
I can get a cheap enough ferry ticket from Newcastle to Amsterdam, but thought this would be more interesting in going via rail from Amsterdam to London through the tunnel. I have very little experience of train travel through Europe, but just wondering if anyone has done this journey before?

I expect I can get a trhough ticket but might choose to break the journey someone along the way (probably Paris, although just a plan at present).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jamesontheroad

Established Member
I can get a cheap enough ferry ticket from Newcastle to Amsterdam, but thought this would be more interesting in going via rail from Amsterdam to London through the tunnel. I have very little experience of train travel through Europe, but just wondering if anyone has done this journey before?

I expect I can get a trhough ticket but might choose to break the journey someone along the way (probably Paris, although just a plan at present).

Well, Paris isn't exactly "on the way", so you'd be looking a combination of tickets in that instance, but there's no reason you couldn't snap up a cheap 'Prém' (French advance purchase fare) for the Thalys from Paris to Amsterdam.

If you want to travel from London to Amsterdam, the cheapest option is still (if I'm not mistaken and/or out of date) the "any Dutch station" option on Eurostar, which is a flat fare on top of your ticket to Brussels. Specifically choosing Amsterdam as your destination will route you onto more expensive high speed services.

That said, it's been a few years since I went to the Netherlands by rail - perhaps others have more up to date tips and info.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
The cheapest fares used to be had by avoiding the Thalys services between Brussels and Amsterdam and travelling on the tradiitonal Belgian/Dutch 'Inter City' trains which were hourly between the respective places.

As always, the seat61 website http://www.seat61.com/ is a good place for up to date information on times and fares for international travel.

broodje

You're best option is to go to Brussels and then change to the 'Benelux' the normal IC that runs between Brussels and Amsterdam. If you want you can go with the Thalys, but to my opinion the fee they ask (opposed to the flat fee for the 'any destination ticket') is way to high for the value given.

I'd advice you to count on an hour changing time in Brussels, of the 12 times I went to London by train 8 of the trips had a lot of delay and you have to walk from one end of the station all the way to the other end. This can take up to 20 minutes if it is busy.

If you do go to Paris, then I'd go with the thalys to Amsterdam, you will win a lot of time in France and Belgium that way. If you're lucky you can get some cheap tickets.

Established Member
I'd advice you to count on an hour changing time in Brussels, of the 12 times I went to London by train 8 of the trips had a lot of delay and you have to walk from one end of the station all the way to the other end. This can take up to 20 minutes if it is busy.

Cheers for that - will have a look later today to see what is available.

D6700

I've used "Any Dutch Station" to York tickets a couple of times in the last year or so - flying out and getting the train back. The fare to London was actually cheaper than a Brussels to London ticket, whilst the add-on to York was cheaper than an Advance from London to York.

When I looked the other week, these tickets had disappeared from the Eurostar website. However, I've heard that they are still available from the Dutch HiSpeed website. I don't know whether that will allow extending beyond London, though.

The "Any Dutch Station" tickets are very useful, as they allow a break of up to 24 hours in Brussels and you can travel on the hourly loco-hauled services that go to/from Amsterdam.

radamfi

Established Member
Just a quick question... how long does the InterCity take to Amsterdam from Brussels as opposed to the Thalys option?

Example timetable:

(Intercity)
Amsterdam 0746 - Bruxelles-Midi/Brussel-Zuid 1042 (2 hours 56 minutes)

(Thalys)
Amsterdam 0816 - Bruxelles-Midi/Brussel-Zuid 1010 (1 hour 54 minutes)

The two services take much the same time between Brussels and Antwerp, and between Amsterdam and Schiphol, as conventional lines are used on these sections, but Thalys uses the high speed line between Antwerp and Schiphol, thus saving an hour. The Thalys route is also shorter as it doesn't go via The Hague, which is a signficant diversion from the direct line from Rotterdam to Schiphol.

Eventually the Intercity service will be withdrawn in favour of the Fyra high speed train which will take a similar time to Thalys. If you want to continue using the slow (i.e. cheap) route you will have to change at least once, if not twice, at Roosendaal and/or Antwerp. I believe this is meant to happen during the current timetable. I don't know if a final decision has been made as to when Frya will start running to Brussels and if there will be some kind of replacement for the Intercity train, for example extending some Belgian IC trains from Antwerp to Roosendaal to connect with Dutch domestic Intercity trains.

Anyone know more?

Belgian Railways have an offer from Any Belgian station to Any Dutch station for 19 euros 2nd class, 25 euros 1st class at the moment. You just have to book 3 days in advance. You may travel on any train en route between your chosen stations that day as long as you go via Antwerp and Roosendaal.

Established Member
€25 doesn't sound too bad, hope there is some sort of off on like that in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.