• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

An hour in Sheffield (first time visit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harlesden

I have an hour between trains in Sheffield mid-morning and I am a non-drinker. Is there a shopping centre close by? Have tried Google maps but it doesn't really indicate distance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Go to Meadowhall station.
Also there's the Supertram link which is great.
Sheffield station is only close to Castle Market, on street shops and a university.
No shopping centre close by.
A McDonalds near the station, or the Burger King in the station are where I wait usually.

Last edited by a moderator:

dk1

Veteran Member
Yeah I was going to say Meadowhall. Not a shopping Mall fan as such, but if I was, this would be way up there. Fantastic transport links & may not appeal to you but does have a spanking new Wetherspoon The Steel Foundry located in the Oasis area.

Andyh82

Established Member
Sheffield station is only close to Castle Market, on street shops and a university.
No shopping centre close by.
A McDonalds near the station, or the Burger King in the station are where I wait usually.

There would not be enough time to get a train to Meadowhall, walk from the Interchange to the shopping centre, which is quite a significant walk, and then again in reverse in enough time to arrive back in Sheffield for the next train. You'd have about 5 mins in Meadowhall.

I don't think there is a shopping centre as such in Sheffield city centre, but it's a 5-10 min walk uphill into the city centre shopping area with all the usual outlets.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
What's the journey? It may be possible to break the journey in Meadowhall, but not all trains call there, and you may not be going via Meadowhall. If Meadowhall isn't a calling point for either service, I would advise against going there.

There is time to walk or get the tram to/from the shops in Sheffield, and if your mobility is good, the walk uphill will be good for you :)

CyrusWuff

Established Member

Castle Market's closed down and been replaced by a new indoor market down at The Moor.

There's Granelli's sweet shop (possibly with an extra n and one less l) just off Park Square roundabout, for all your pic 'n' mix needs.

Bevan Price

Established Member
A lot of the shops in Sheffield City centre are about 10 - 15 minutes walk from the station. From the station, cross the road and turn right, where you should see the bus station. Walk through / past the bus station, uphill along Pond St. until you reach the tram lines. Turn left along High St., continue until you see the cathedral on the right. Just before the cathedral, fork left into Fargate. There are shops in this area, and they continue for about ¼ mile along Pinstone St & The Moor. There are short cuts between The Moor and Sheffield station (but hard to describe) - see map:-

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3802245,-1.4707161,434m/data=!3m1!1e3

Last edited:

Chapeltom

Established Member
Could walk in a circuit, up Howard Street onto Arundel Gate to where the Millennium Gallery is. Up to the Peace Gardens then right, past the Town Hall, left up to the City Hall on Barkers Pool, then down Fargate, quick look at the cathedral and continue down High Street then back to the station.

Nice walk, shouldn't take more than 30 minutes. Chance to get something to eat too. Google Maps indicates 1.2 miles.

Last edited:

M7R

Could walk in a circuit, up Howard Street onto Arundel Gate to where the Millennium Gallery is. Up to the Peace Gardens then right, past the Town Hall, left up to the City Hall on Barkers Pool, then down Fargate, quick look at the cathedral and continue down High Street then back to the station.

Nice walk, shouldn't take more than 30 minutes. Chance to get something to eat too. Google Maps indicates 1.2 miles.

This is pretty much ones of the strolls I used to do when I was at Hallam Uni 10 years ago, it was a nice way to kill some time.

I also used to like having lunch on the platform just watching the world go by... But that was more a summer thing as it could be bitterly cold in winter (does it show I wasn't the normal student type..my wife recons I'm at least 65 in my head :lol:

sheff1

Established Member
If you just want somewhere pleasant to visit the Winter Gardens/Millenium Galleries is the best option, in my view

There's Granelli's sweet shop (possibly with an extra n and one less l) just off Park Square roundabout, for all your pic 'n' mix needs.

There is, but I wouldn't recommend anyone unfamiliar with the area to try and find it in a limited timeframe !

Harlesden

It's a Leeds-Sheffield-Leeds journey with tickets already booked and collected.
The reason for the journey no longer exists but still using the tickets for the opportunity to see what Cross Country stock turns up.
Roughly an hour between arrival and departure.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's a Leeds-Sheffield-Leeds journey with tickets already booked and collected.
The reason for the journey no longer exists but still using the tickets for the opportunity to see what Cross Country stock turns up.
Roughly an hour between arrival and departure.
What day of the week are you travelling? If it's not one of the trains listed here, it will be a Voyager (probably 5 cars, and likely to be overcrowded if it's a Friday or weekend) in desperate need of refurbishment and you'll wish you hadn't caught it ;)

I recommend travelling via Barnsley in at least one direction, assuming you have a non-Advance ticket.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
What day of the week are you travelling? If it's not one of the trains listed here, it will be a Voyager (probably 5 cars, and likely to be overcrowded if it's a Friday or weekend) in desperate need of refurbishment and you'll wish you hadn't caught it ;)
Finally, someone talking like me then ;)!

Harlesden

I recommend travelling via Barnsley in at least one direction, assuming you have a non-Advance ticket.
No idea what made me think if was Cross Country. It is Northern both ways. Preparing to be shaken rattled and rolled.
10:33 Leeds-Sheffield
12:50 Sheffield-Leeds

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Both via Barnsley. Outward is additionally via Castleford and all shacks. Do you have Advance fares or a walk-up ticket? If the latter you may want to go a different route in one direction?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I have an hour between trains in Sheffield mid-morning and I am a non-drinker. Is there a shopping centre close by? Have tried Google maps but it doesn't really indicate distance.

sorry my advice is based around drinking!

You could go in the tap and have a soft drink, relax, keep warm and read a book

thejuggler

Winter gardens and the Millennium Gallery will easily pass an hour. The John Ruskin collection and story is interesting.

About 10 minutes walk each way from the station and the Gardens have a cafe.

talltim

Established Member
A slight variation on what other people have suggested

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
Status
Not open for further replies.