• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

An Incident slightly less bad than a big one at Worcester Foregate Street (12/06)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Local press reporting Worcester Foregate Street (WOF) Station has been locked down, all lines blocked and police cordon set up with armed officers in attendance.

Anyone able to shed further details - am due to be heading that way at 6pm.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Local press reporting Worcester Foregate Street (WOF) Station has been locked down, all lines blocked and police cordon set up with armed officers in attendance.

Expected to continue until at least 18.30 apparently

ChrisHogan

from LM Journey Check:

Following passengers causing a disturbance on a train at Worcester Foregate Street all lines will be reopened shortly.
Impact
Train services running through this station may be cancelled or delayed by up to 30 minutes. Disruption is expected until 18:00 12/06.
Customer Advice
1650 UPDATE:

Owing to disruptive passengers, services through Worcester Foregate Street are subject to delay, cancellation and alteration.

Services are starting/terminating at Worcester Shrub Hill station.

Road transport has been ordered to run between Worcester Foregate Street and Hereford. Coaches are being operated by AJK Travel and are expected at Worcester Foregate Street at 1730.

Last edited by a moderator:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Unusual.
Is this the many school students kicking off?
They are normally exuberant but not in any way angry.

tony_mac

Established Member
Just had reports of what’s happened.

Police got phone call reporting someone on Hereford bound service carrying a firearm. Police detained suspect - nothing was found.

Everything now open and running back to WTT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theironroad

Established Member
Member of public reported that a person was carrying a gun.

A 22 year old man detained but no firearm involved.

Station reopened.

'disruptive passengers' seems a little misleading but better than saying a person has a gun during the disruption I guess.

Established Member
Member of public reported that a person was carrying a gun.

A 22 year old man detained but no firearm involved.

Station reopened.

'disruptive passengers' seems a little misleading but better than saying a person has a gun during the disruption I guess.

There was a passenger, that turned out to be disruptive...

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Could the OP or a mod change the title of this thread - given the current climate I really did fear the worst when I first saw the thread title.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Could the OP or a mod change the title of this thread - given the current climate I really did fear the worst when I first saw the thread title.

Agreed. Major incident to me implies something similar along the scale of the events we've seen in Manchester and London.

Robertj21a

On Moderation

? Why ? - it was referred to as a Major Incident at the outset, with armed police attending. Just because it turned out ok doesn't alter the fact that it was being treated as a major incident.

BestWestern

Established Member
There was a passenger, that turned out to be disruptive...

Without knowing the specifics, of course; is it right that such a stout reaction should be put into play for an unsubstantiated phone call from persons unknown, or should the authorities attempt a more cautionary response to such a report? I'm not complaining, just interested as to peoples' thoughts.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Without knowing the specifics, of course; is it right that such a stout reaction should be put into play for an unsubstantiated phone call from persons unknown, or should the authorities attempt a more cautionary response to such a report? I'm not complaining, just interested as to peoples' thoughts.

I'd expect that after recent events any report of a person wandering about with a gun should be treated as a major incident.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

At the moment it probably is, yes.

Lockwood

Major Incident: "An event or situation with a range of serious consequences which requires special arrangements to be implemented by one or more emergency responder agency."

So, the question is does the deployment of armed officers constitute "special arrangements"

Established Member
Major Incident: "An event or situation with a range of serious consequences which requires special arrangements to be implemented by one or more emergency responder agency."

So, the question is does the deployment of armed officers constitute "special arrangements"

But there weren't any serious consequences because there wasn't a major incident.

"Possible major incident" or Reports of a major incident" might have been more accurate.

JamesP

The fatality at Levenshulme last week resulted in multiple police vehicles rushing to the station and it being completely closed off for a time, which led to much speculation on social media that it was something more sinister than someone being hit by a train, especially given that the local area has recently been the scene of much police activity in relation to the Manchester bombing.

gray1404

Established Member
I wonder if the person who made the false report will be investigated and be done for wasting police time.

TheEdge

Established Member
I wonder if the person who made the false report will be investigated and be done for wasting police time.

What is it with you and hoping people get punished? As quoted upthread;

CONCERNS a passenger was carrying a gun forced the evacuation of Worcester Foregate Street station...
a 22 year-old man has been detained, no weapon has been found and it is believed the call, made with good intent by the member of public, was a false alarm.

So no, there will be no public flogging.

skyhigh

Established Member
I would rather 5 false reports get investigated; than one person thinks "oh, if I report it I might get in trouble" and someone actually does have a gun on a train.
Indeed. The police have already said that they'd much rather get false reports with good intentions than to miss something, and that the caller would face no consequences. It'd be disastrous if people felt they couldn't report things due to the possible consequences if they were wrong.

hawk1911

Having worked in Emergency Planning, it is probably worth pointing out that 'Major Incident' can mean different things to different organisations.

Typically, any agency/organisation can declare a 'Major Incident' within its own area. Exactly what that means can vary from organisation to organisation, but it roughly equates to the deployment of resources well in excess of the norm.

However, beyond that is the more formal declaration of a multi-agency Major Incident, which stretches the resources of several organisations, responding to a significant event.

For the public, I appreciate hearing the term 'Major Incident' can be somewhat confusing, but the organisations involved have well tried and tested escalation and co-ordination arrangements in place.

Oh, and if a 'Major Incident, is significant enough, in terms of resources involved and/or of national significance, then the government will get involved and you may hear reference to COBR (or Cobra as the media incorrectly refer to it), which stands for Cabinet Office Briefing Rooms. In reality, this is a Ministerial (often PM) led committee that looks at the very high level issues in respect of an incident.

Oh, and if a 'Major Incident, is significant enough, in terms of resources involved and/or of national significance, then the government will get involved and you may hear reference to COBR (or Cobra as the media incorrectly refer to it), which stands for Cabinet Office Briefing Rooms. In reality, this is a Ministerial (often PM) led committee that looks at the very high level issues in respect of an incident.

Just to deviate for a second - a friend who worked in Whitehall told me it's referred to as COBRA as they meet in Briefing Room "A" for the highest profile stuff.

hawk1911

Just to deviate for a second - a friend who worked in Whitehall told me it's referred to as COBRA as they meet in Briefing Room "A" for the highest profile stuff.

Yes, I've heard that one and, to be honest, I'm not sure as to whether or not there is any historical truth in it and I am sure that some people, within, do refer to it that way. However, all the documentation I saw, within my time, referred to COBR. Either way, it probably doesn't really matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.