• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

And the Apple Creation is.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dai.

Established Member
Surprise surprise.... it's a bigger iPhone, with a computer!

Death

Established Member
Considering my anti-Apple standpoint, I'm inclined to think that would be an excellent addition to Apple's product line! :lol::razz:

Incidentally, does anyone know how The Onion manage to cook videos like that up? Unless they somehow managed to get Steve Jobs to actually star in it (Unlikely!) I can't see how they would've produced it...There's a little too much there for it all to have been edited together from stock footage with a bit of CGI thrown in! :shock:

Surprise surprise.... it's a bigger iPhone, with a computer!
I would imagine that it's exactly the same as an iPhone 3G "under the hood"...Maybe with a little more RAM and bigger NAND flash, but no more difference than that. ;)

It does show what Apple's über simplistic approach to product development is like though! They sit around for ages and brainstorm ideas for the next "must have" gadget...And after two years they simply conclude Why don't we just take an iPhone 3G, give it more RAM and a bigger screen, then give it a "fresh" name? Surely our customers will be so blind to the words new Apple product that they won't spot the short-cut we've taken on this one? :lol:;)

Personally, there's only one "Apple" that's served me perfectly well and reliably over the past twenty years...And I'm sticking by it all the way!
apple_green_fruit_240421_l.jpg
:lol::razz:<D

jamesontheroad

Established Member
I'm actually sympathetic to the way that Steve Jobs introduced the device. It absolutely isn't a "large iPhone" and it absolutely isn't a "touchscreen netbook". As long as people consider the iPad one of these two things, they will miss the point and miss the genius of the device. People may be sceptical, but Apple have been brilliant at defining new niches for their products. No-one took mp3 players seriously until Apple launched the iPod and the iTunes Store as a way of selling music, video and apps directly. Suddenly they made sense commercially and weren't a pain to upload music on to.

The iPad is priced very aggressively: it's not much more than some eBook devices and it has a much better interface. I think that Apple converts (i.e. people already using their desktops, laptops and portable devices) will be drawn to the device as a handheld home entertainment centre. Movies, television etc etc, all in a comfortable hand held device. With app developers going crazy to produce new software, I reckon we'll see the iPad also carving out a niche as a tabletop game pad for social games... family board games, chess etc.

I've owned many Apple products, and have learnt one important lesson over the years. Never buy the first generation of any Apple product! There are already dozens of rumours from people who have acquired iPad components revealing that the machine is ready to be shipped with an inbuilt camera (a big missing piece in the jigsaw) and some have even spotted the lens of a camera in the prototype Jobs waved around on stage last week. And whenever Adobe and Apple get off their high horses, we can start to have fun with Flash and HTML5.

Although like so many people, I do find Jobs' style a little grating...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHZzb42s3y4

:D

Last edited:

EM2

Established Member
Y'see, as someone who uses a netbook all the time, I really can't see what the iPad does that my netbook can't. Yes, it has a longer battery life and yes, it has a touchscreen but my HP has much better storage, will be easier to prop up on my lap and won;t get fingerprints all over the screen.
Why's everybody so excited about the use of apps? What's wrong with downloading software in the traditional way?
And the netbook cost me £200 a year ago, was already slightly out-of-date then but can still do pretty much everything the iPad can.

starrymarkb

Established Member
I might, not now, but in the future my ibook G4 is going to need replacing (its 5 years old) - its pretty much just used for web browsing, email checking, playing music streamed from the PC and watching the occasional DVD.

Now a new Macbook would cost twice as much as this device. So yes I might get one.

Death

Established Member
I have an iPod Touch, or as I now like to call it, an iPad Nano :D
Nice one there mate, nice one! :lol::D:lol:

A pile of unimaginative sh*te! :D:lol:
Someone shares my sentiments on Apple's "new" products, it seems! <D
That said though, I seem to recall ye recently mentioning that ye had two iPods that obviously Died because Apple told them to (That is to say; The battery and HDD both had pre-defined "use by" dates set on 'em)...So where exactly do ye stand on the Apple problem? ;)

If Jobs does that with the entire Apple product line, then I'll be glad of it for one reason: It'll "evolve" the Mac Pros' enclosure into a floor standing full height tower case, that'll have plenty of space for multiple RAID-5 arrays and be perfect for mid-scale server applications! 8)

As long as people consider the iPad one of these two things, they will miss the point and miss the genius of the device.
I'm sorry...But IMO: The only thing "Genius" about the iPad will be the automatic playlist function that's been a part of iTunes since around version 7! :razz:

No-one took mp3 players seriously until Apple launched the iPod and the iTunes Store as a way of selling music, video and apps directly. Suddenly they made sense commercially and weren't a pain to upload music on to.
It really depends on everyone's personal viewpoint, and I know they may differ...But I have to say that my view looks to be the complete opposite of yours. :!:

I bought my first MP3 player (A 128Mb Technika job) around about the time the 3rd gen iPod was doing the rounds, and despite it being my first ever USB device and a very sparsely documented one at that (Basic instructions, no supplied software, had to trace and download drivers to use with Win98 etc.) I found it extremely easy to use...All I had to do was mount the player in Windows, drag/drop music onto the players window in Explorer, and that was it.
Despite the "low" capacity of the device, the ability to mount it with native OS drivers in Win2K/XP (No need to ask network admins to evaluate and install driver software on the network) and ability to store/carry any type of file was a real bonus when it came to transporting work between my home PC and the college network! 8)

On the other hand, I once tried out an iPod on 14-day home approval and was so displeased at the inflexibility and proprietary nature of the device that I sent it back only three days later. Bad enough that the iPod couldn't be mounted in Windows (Or any other OS including MacOS!) directly as a removable HDD...But I'd also been running a packet trace program on a second machine to allow me to track what iTunes did in terms of bandwidth usage and data transfer, and when I found that iTunes was uploading parts of my music collection to Apple and other iTunes clients without any form of consent from myself whatsoever, I immediateley Killed all traces of iTunes and implemented a strict "No Apple Software" policy on my network. :shock::!:<(

I reckon we'll see the iPad also carving out a niche as a tabletop game pad for social games... family board games, chess etc.
And why would one want or even need an iPad for such purposes? :roll::?:

We've only had technology of this grade for the past ten years or so (Twenty if ye count basic programs on slower CPUs) yet games like Monopoly and Scrabble have been on the market for over 60 years, or so I believe. Indeed; Chess and Othello have both been played in a number of forms since at least the 10th century! 8)

In my view: If humanity has "progressed" to the state where having a complex and expensive electronic device to hand is necessary to play a game of Poker or Chess, then we've already gone well past the point at which human existance actually meant something worthwhile. :roll::!:

I know that I'm a compulsive Internet and computer addict myself, but if the above is true - And I fear it might be - Then I'm really looking forward to the day where the Gods decide that enough is truly enough, and they simply erase all knowlege of electricity (And thus electronic circuits etc) both from our minds and the annals of History... <D

I might, not now, but in the future my ibook G4 is going to need replacing (its 5 years old) - its pretty much just used for web browsing, email checking, playing music streamed from the PC and watching the occasional DVD.
Hang on...Ye consider thy iBook to be "in need of replacement" after only five years? :shock::roll::?:

I have a Compaq Presario which up until last week had been my main PC since the start of 2006CE, thus it's been in heavy continual use now for at least four long years. Last week, I decided to have a bit of a "network reset" which basically meant backing up data and wiping every machine to make a fresh start from scratch.
When I came to sorting out the Presario, I thought I'd take the opportunity to refurbish it at the same time. Before I started, the machine was full of dust, the HDD was fragged to heck, and Windows was about as much use as a contraceptive to a Eunuch.
To make a good job of it, I completely tore down and dissected the system into component parts, dusted/cleaned everything, reassembled it again, ran DBAN to completely wipe the HDD, then used the OEM recovery disks to restore everything back to so-called "factory settings".

As a result, I now have a Presario that - Despite being in heavy use for four years - Is in exactly the same pristine state that it was in when I got it, and is once again capable of running on top form for another 4-8 years...And to get it that way, I spent three hours on some simple refurbishment work.
Although I plan to keep this machine alive for at least another 15 years, I could lawfully resell it as "Refurbished - In 'as new' factory condition" if I wanted to. 8)

So what I'd be interested in is: Given that ye must've paid at least £800 for that iBook, how the heck can ye consider retiring it after such a short space of time? :shock::roll::?:

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
when I found that iTunes was uploading parts of my music collection to Apple and other iTunes clients without any form of consent from myself whatsoever, I immediateley Killed all traces of iTunes and implemented a strict "No Apple Software" policy on my network.
I believe that's in the software agreement when you install it. Therefore by having it, you did consent.

That said though, I seem to recall ye recently mentioning that ye had two iPods that obviously Died because Apple told them to (That is to say; The battery and HDD both had pre-defined "use by" dates set on 'em)...So where exactly do ye stand on the Apple problem?
I'm sorry, there are people who actually think that Apple deliberately break devices after a set time limit?

Established Member
That said though, I seem to recall ye recently mentioning that ye had two iPods that obviously Died because Apple told them to (That is to say; The battery and HDD both had pre-defined "use by" dates set on 'em)...So where exactly do ye stand on the Apple problem? ;)

I'm sorry, there are people who actually think that Apple deliberately break devices after a set time limit?

The battery on one mini, which I bought because of that to use the HDD on my one, I think that's just because it was old and was no longer holding it's charge (as all batteries will do after a time).

The dead HDD on my old ipod, however, was a fault that was caused by a version of itunes, and affected many (different) ipods. The problem with itunes was fixed within about 24 hours, but they refused to even admit that it had anything to do with the HDD failure of those it had affected. There were many complaints about it, but they refused to admit there was any problem.
On the Apple forums (which i went and had a look at after), there were multiple threads about it, with hundreds of complaints.
Apple's response?
They locked the threads and refused to allow any discussion of it.

I sent a complaint to them afterwards, but was essentially told that it was my fault for breaking it, because I must have done something to it (I can assure you I hadn't, I'd installed the new itunes and synchronised my ipod because I wanted to put new music on it)

Whilst I don't believe they deliberately set them to break, they seem unwilling to admit to mistakes like that, instead blaming the customers and accusing them of causing the damage.
This is the reason I have no time for them anymore, and no longer buy any new apple products (I was given the shuffle).

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Sounds fair enough, but it's a bit far to go to assume that Apple deliberately break products after a certain time limit.

starrymarkb

Established Member
Hang on...Ye consider thy iBook to be "in need of replacement" after only five years? :shock::roll::?:

I have a Compaq Presario which up until last week had been my main PC since the start of 2006CE, thus it's been in heavy continual use now for at least four long years. Last week, I decided to have a bit of a "network reset" which basically meant backing up data and wiping every machine to make a fresh start from scratch.
When I came to sorting out the Presario, I thought I'd take the opportunity to refurbish it at the same time. Before I started, the machine was full of dust, the HDD was fragged to heck, and Windows was about as much use as a contraceptive to a Eunuch.
To make a good job of it, I completely tore down and dissected the system into component parts, dusted/cleaned everything, reassembled it again, ran DBAN to completely wipe the HDD, then used the OEM recovery disks to restore everything back to so-called "factory settings".

As a result, I now have a Presario that - Despite being in heavy use for four years - Is in exactly the same pristine state that it was in when I got it, and is once again capable of running on top form for another 4-8 years...And to get it that way, I spent three hours on some simple refurbishment work.
Although I plan to keep this machine alive for at least another 15 years, I could lawfully resell it as "Refurbished - In 'as new' factory condition" if I wanted to. 8)

So what I'd be interested in is: Given that ye must've paid at least £800 for that iBook, how the heck can ye consider retiring it after such a short space of time? :shock::roll::?:

A big issue is that it is Power PC based, it's from before the switch to Intel. A lot of developers (apple included) are dropping support for the PPC based systems. I'm probably going to keep using it until something breaks.

GB

Established Member
Y'see, as someone who uses a netbook all the time, I really can't see what the iPad does that my netbook can't. Yes, it has a longer battery life and yes, it has a touchscreen but my HP has much better storage, will be easier to prop up on my lap and won;t get fingerprints all over the screen.
Why's everybody so excited about the use of apps? What's wrong with downloading software in the traditional way?
And the netbook cost me £200 a year ago, was already slightly out-of-date then but can still do pretty much everything the iPad can.

I agree with this. The iPad may well be worth another look a couple of generations in but as it stands at the moment (going by the limited information about) I dont see what the big deal is or how its better over a netbook.

The internal memory is low (16GB I think) though I assume its flash memory which is faster than conventional HDDs. Doubtful that it will support flash which has been a problem on the iPod Touch or iPhone.

There have been complaints on the net regarding lack of camera or phone capabillities but I cant see the value of these items on note pads unless you want to look like a tit with such a huge thing against your ear or infront of your face.

I think Ill pass for know (unless other information surfaces to convince me otherwise) and look at either the 2nd or 3rd gen.

Death

Established Member
I believe that's in the software agreement when you install it. Therefore by having it, you did consent.
From what I can recall, there was no such clause in the agreement that I was presented with when I installed iTunes.
And aye, I'm one of the few who do read EULAs in full...Especially if I'm having to agree to anything drawn up by a house that I'm not sure if I can trust or not! :shock:

It's possible that Apple might've changed the EULA after I installed iTunes and my installation didn't highlight the existance of an updated EULA...But in such cases - Given both the reasonable expectation that iTunes will automatically inform users of new EULA versions (It is an online utility, after all!) and my own policies requiring explicit notification of changes to T&Cs under which I'm bound - New requirements on my part as a user (And any new "rights" granted to Apple under the new EULA) cannot be used/enforced until I have been explicitly notified of the new EULA, and given a chance to read/accept/reject it as I see fit. :!:

The dead HDD on my old ipod, however, was a fault that was caused by a version of itunes, and affected many (different) ipods. The problem with itunes was fixed within about 24 hours, but they refused to even admit that it had anything to do with the HDD failure of those it had affected. There were many complaints about it, but they refused to admit there was any problem.

I sent a complaint to them afterwards, but was essentially told that it was my fault for breaking it, because I must have done something to it (I can assure you I hadn't, I'd installed the new itunes and synchronised my ipod because I wanted to put new music on it)
That's out and out illegal on Apple's part however one looks at it, and - Although I'm not familiar with the event in question myself - I hope to the Gods that a number of people bought successful class action suits against Apple afterwards! :mad:

Bad enough that iPods have a "sell-by" date in them as it is, but wiping out whole swathes of the device to try and force a bit more revenue by making customers buy new ones (Presumably to increase iPhail production?) goes beyond even what SouthEastern have done to their mainline services to make the new "High-Speed" HS1 services look like they're worth the extra £5-10 in suppliments! <(

Apologies to any Mac fans about the forum...But if I posted my honest opinion about Steve Jobs here, I'd probabally be banned because I'd blown the RailUK profanity filtering software into oblivion! :!::shock::lol:

On the Apple forums (which i went and had a look at after), there were multiple threads about it, with hundreds of complaints.
Apple's response?
They locked the threads and refused to allow any discussion of it.
Goes to prove my personal theory that Apple Corporation's practices and thinly-veiled attempts to dominate and control the masses are far worse than anything the Soviet Government ever managed to come up with. <(

I don't suppose anyone managed to archive all of those threads somewhere, did they? My own thoughts are that those threads (And Apple's subsequent locking of them to "shut people up") could constitute valuable legal evidence both of the widespread scale of the damage done to iPod devices by Apple (Whether by accident or otherwise, Apple should be obliged under UK law to make good the damage or issue a replacement iPod with all data restored from any failed unit) and quite possibly severe and unlawful malpractice by Apple themselves as well... :!:

Sounds fair enough, but it's a bit far to go to assume that Apple deliberately break products after a certain time limit.
It would also be illegal for them to do so.
It's been proven as fact in my eyes through at least two events, which do not including anything I've heard about Apple and their devices via the 'net. I describe one of these events in detail below:

A friend of mine visited the USA a number of years ago, and bought himself a 2nd gen iPod whilst he was over there as it was a lot cheaper than similar units over here. Upon returning to the UK, he installed iTunes and registered his new iPod in the normal way. Because he'd registered his iPod, he'd also activated a one year product warranty provided by Apple themselves.

During it's working life, the iPod worked exactly as intended and had no problems whatsoever...Until that one day about 13 months after purchase, when he turned it on only to find the iPod would not boot up and was showing a clear fault indication. Of course, he called Apple's UK tech support hotline and gave them his details...Only for them to tell him "I'm sorry sir, your iPod is now out of warranty. We can still repair it for you, but this will carry a standard service charge of £110 plus parts and labour for the repair." :roll:

My friend was unwilling and unable to pay this quite obscene repair charge, so he handed the offending device to an experienced low-level Hacker in the area for analysis and a possible fix. On further inspection however, it turned out that the iPod was in perfect working order - With all user data intact and still accessible via direct addressing of the HDD.

More interesting however was what he'd found after dumping the iPods firmware onto his PC and inspecting it with a hex editor: Although most of the firmware image was encrypted (Standard approach for Apple software) some user specific data was visible in plain-text; Including the owners name/address/e-mail, iTunes username/password (Encrypted), date of iPod first boot, date of iPod registration, and - Interestingly enough - A "DEV_LIFE" parameter which was set at 372. Although it seemed a little too easy, he changed the DEV_LIFE parameter to around 845, dumped the new firmware image back on the iPod, and powered it on again.

Result: One fully live and working 2nd gen iPod, which kept running fine for months afterward until it was next synched with iTunes...Which reset the DEV_LIFE parameter back to 372 again, causing another iPod "Death"... :shock::roll:<(

I'd always thought iPods were a bit too "samey" and popular for my liking when I first learned the basics about them...But as soon as my friend had the above experiences with his 2nd gen, I vowed that the only time I'd have an iPod about would be if I was doing any form of product testing (On a unit that I hadn't paid for) or hacking it... <(

Rant over. My apologies to the Mac enthusiasts/users that we have here on the forum...But IMO, ye are all being taken for a far worse ride by Steve Jobs than we Windows users ever got from Microsoft! <D

Tom C

Its funny, but as a Windows user for many years I have just decided (and indeed purchased) an Intel iMac to go with the iPhone which I have had since it came out.

As someone who doesn't exactly keep up with tecnological advances, the main reason for choosing the imac was boot camp. I can use the frankly excellent Snow Leopard plus for all the stuff which won't run under OSX I can have a complete version of XP (or indeed 7, if its any good??) just in case. I can apparently also have a 3 way partition and try Linux as well if the mood so chooses.

It might be a strange choice to pick a Mac just because it can run Windows but I am fed up with the failures which came with it and can start to lose reliance of Windows but I don't have to give up all the software and games which I enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.