• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Andy's Wanderings

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyb2706

They were two massive clear outs. Very productive indeed. Bizarrely the day I cleared my Bakerloo Line stations I also cleared the Northern stations too!

That's a bit spooky!! Has anyone else done the same as myself and Noddy?

Next day trip now booked to London :) and doing something a bit different and playing Oyster Bingo!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I've seen your thread on Oyster Bingo, I can't open Excel spreadsheets on my devices so I haven't commented on that.

andyb2706

I've seen your thread on Oyster Bingo, I can't open Excel spreadsheets on my devices so I haven't commented on that.

No worries about that. I've still got 239 stations to chose from that I still need in Zones 1-6. Telestarbox mentioned a random number generator that I could use to randomly pick which stations to use in Oyster Bingo which I had never thought of.

Established Member
Well, I'm just back from holiday and am starting to work my way through the trip reports, this one made an excellent start.
Nice to see plenty of winners :)

Established Member
An awesome read there Andy, took some catching up but as has already been said, a very highly productive few trips there.

Congrats are in order clearing the tube shacks, on the Northern and Bakerloo lines. This tube bashing has gone epidemic. Its certainly the in thing among you lads.

I look forward to the Scottish episode of the 3 capitals adventure

Thanks for sharing.

Kite159

Veteran Member
An awesome read there Andy, took some catching up but as has already been said, a very highly productive few trips there.

Congrats are in order clearing the tube shacks, on the Northern and Bakerloo lines. This tube bashing has gone epidemic. Its certainly the in thing among you lads.

I look forward to the Scottish episode of the 3 capitals adventure

Thanks for sharing.

Better to do tube shacks this time of year before the tunnels get warmed up :)

Established Member
Better to do tube shacks this time of year before the tunnels get warmed up :)

Very good point there Kite, never gave that a thought, your average geordie would be reduced to just there speedo's on the tube lines in the summer, considering we all apparently wear short sleeved shirts in a blizzard on a friday night up here and thats just the lasses.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

andyb2706

Hope this works as I have prepared and submitted this entire report via my phone while on the move around the country!

So what was planned for today. It was quite a late decision as I knew I wanted to go out but wasn’t quite sure where to go, however after consulting my requirements and the knowledge of the upcoming doom of the VTEC fleet (okay, I know it is still 2 years off but the amount I need I may struggle in clearing them anyhow! – Ed) I decide to head off to York armed with gen as what should be running on what. From the outset I am not too fond of the VTEC network only because there is such long run between stops, for example there was quite few requirements at York were its next stop was London Kings Cross! I think this may be why I need so much. Also I am starting to photograph buses too, I am slowly being dragged into that field of spottadom, although I have a hard time keeping up with the trains.

So off on the twenty minutes walk to Brooklands tram stop to pick up dud 3014, although it was operating a service to Etihad Campus I decided to alight at Deangate-Castlefield and walk across the city photographing buses.

On eventually arriving at Manchester Piccadilly I discover I only have seven minutes to wait for my train to York and a dud 185151, not much to report on the trip to York just the odd unit noted en-route.

Arriving at York I only have sixteen minutes to wait for the first of what I hope to be a productive day. Armed with my camera I seem to be on a photo frenzy today taking pictures of anything that is motorised public transport!! 185108 in the new Transpennine livery, 91101 in its Flying Scotsman livery, other 91’s and even a 142 which was sat on the blocks all day. It wasn’t long before my first copped of the day arrived as 91119 rolled in to take me to Darlington.

Darlington I have to say could do with some TLC. I personally think it is a bit dark and dinghy and seeing over the next few years brand new spanking state of the art trains will be serving it there needs to be something done with the station. I had twenty-five minutes to kill here so had a quick look out idea of the station and discovered it to be in the middle of nowhere so returned to the station taking photos of the trains as and when they arrive. I have to say that the VTEC 43’s look really well in the Virgin livery. It wasn’t long before dud 43295 and required 43239 arrived to take me back south to York (I’m going to get bored very quickly doing this!!-Ed).

Back at York my next movement is another forty minutes off so head out of the station to photograph the local buses returning in time to pick up required 91125 as far as Darlington, baked at Darlington with another thirty-five minute wait I grab a cup of tea and sit ad wait when required 43317 and 43313 arrive to take me back south to York.

Back at York and another thirty minute wait and this is were it starts going a bit awry. The 1536 to Edinburgh was not worked by what I was expecting and was a dud, so was the 1531 to London Kings Cross...hmm, think the gen has gone out of the window, so I am now looking for any requirements and the 1602 to London Kings Cross is formed of a dud 43308 but a good 43274 which I board for a short trip to Doncaster and by now I am bored of the York – Darlington route.

At Doncaster I have had enough so change tact and pick up dud 91129 to Leeds to see if there was anything there I needed. VTEC chasing has ended for the day. Arriving at Leeds I was in luck as therein the station was one of the remaining two 322 units I need for all age and was due to depart in twenty minutes, just enough time to nip outside and see what the photo situation was for buses, not much so I returned to the station and boarded 322484 for my journey to my first and only new shack of the day.

At Saltaire I alighted and had a twelve minute wait for dud 333005 to take me back to Leeds. The plan now was to head home, however on arriving at Leeds I noticed a required 144014 waiting to depart in five minutes to Sheffield so a mad dash over to the platform I head off to Castleford, the train was too busy to note what was at Midland Road or the freightliner terminal but thought I would grab these on my return trip.

At Castleford there are two trains within five minutes of each other to Leeds so double chance of a requirements...no such luck. The first was dud 144021 and the second was 142066 which I boarded for the trip to Leeds. I noted 8 locomotives between the freightliner terminal and the sheds but also think I burnt my leg n the heating on the 142.

Back at Leeds I have Tenerife minutes to wait for dud 185130 to take me back over the Pennines and once back at Manchester Victoria (yes the TPE I got was the Liverpool via Victoria service) I headed to the tram stop and got a required 3108 to Piccadilly Gardens where dud 3017 took me home.

Overall not a big bang trip but quality was had. With the elimination of seven locos/units which are threatened with extinction over the next couple of years I have to say it was highly productive.

NEW STATIONS
Saltaire

NEW UNITS
43239, 43274, 43313, 43317, 91119, 91125, 144014, 322484

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I don't blame you getting bored of the Darlo to York route, it's really not exciting! About as fun as Swindon to Bristol Parkway several times in one day, or 6 round trips in one day between Reading and Slough (OK one was broken at Slough for a leap to Windsor, but still)...

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Sounds like you had a fun day! I agree, York to Darlo can begin to get annoying after a while. I can't believe the combo of trams you had on the 16:02 from York to Kings Cross though. A pair of (my last 3) VTEC power cars!

andyb2706

Seeing it worked with yesterday’s log here is today’s already via my phone.

Well a more leisurely get up this morning, alarm went off at 7.30 and I got up prepared breakfast and didn’t rush out. I as waiting for off peak tickets on the Metrolink to come into force, so at 9.20 I left home to head off to the tram stop where I picked up dud 3052 as far as Deangate-Castlefield where it terminated and I had a two minute wait for dud 3096 to take me the rest of the way to Manchester Piccadilly. Once there I had a twelve minute wait for a service to York and I have to say it is one I will have to remember as it only stopped at Huddersfield and Leeds, of course it was formed of dud 185151. Only thing of note for the journey was that we went bang road through platform 3 at Network Rail staff were working on the track of platform 4. Not sure whether it was a fault or routine maintenance. It was one of my best runs to York, it seemed as if he was really giving it some welly.

On arriving at York I have a couple of options as there was the 1154 to Darlington, which turned out to be formed of duds 43308 and 43274 which I had had yesterday. So it was off to the second option which was the 1203 to Doncaster which was formed of required 91122, success!!!

On the trip to Doncaster I noticed that there was no train back to York for 40 minutes, so resided to the fact of a wait I made my way to the end of the platform to photograph whatever of interest came through, within a few minutes two GBRF trains came through and got decent shots of then and got talking to another spotter who pointed out a HST dropping in the other platform, anyhow carried on talking to him for another minute and glanced over to the HST and noticed it was donned with 100 Craigentinny markings and thought it would make a nice photo so made my way there and saw it was 43300 and guessed, seeing there was nothing due for York it must have been a Leeds service and my heart got going....do I need this HST!? I had to quickly check as it was preparing to depart and I did, so I quickly jumped on at 1st class and walked through having no idea what was on the other end. Apologies to the guy who I just disappeared on if he is reading this.

At Wakefield Westgate I had about a 25 minute wait for the next Virgin Train back to Doncaster but as I got of the HST I made my way to the front to find that the other Locomotive was required 43307, that’s another 2 HST’s down. While waiting for my train my inner child came out when I noticed on the electronic display of a Cross Country service to Penzance that the display is only showing Pe for its destination. Anyhow serious Spotting head on when the childish laughing was over and the Cross Country train departed I made my way to the north end of the platform so that I could check on what the power unit was when my train arrived and the God’s were smiling on me again when required 91118 arrived for my journey back to Doncaster.

At Doncaster it’s time to grab some lunch and had noticed earlier a Subway on the station....yes!! So a Turkey & Ham Sub, sunb it’s and Coke Zero later I head over to the opposite platform were I have a choice for two trains. 1410 to Newcastle or 1414 to Leeds. The 1410 to Newcastle arrives and is formed of dud 91130, however I take a punt and board it because there is more options at York than Wakefield so I settle down to my lunch.

Annoyingly when I arrive back at York I just get onto platform 5 as required 91107 started shutting its doors to depart, next possibility is at 1454 to Edinburgh, fingers crossed. Well that didn’t work!! Dud 91104 arrived on the 1454 to Edinburgh, next one is in 5 minutes but that is 1st stop London, think more realistically I am going to wait 35 minutes when there is one in each direction within 4 minutes, I’m going to have to be patient, which isn’t one of my strong points. Patience paid off, when 91127 rolled in on the 1531 to London Kings Cross. Train was heaving though and standing room only due to the previous train running late and having not yet turned up. However I did have some entertainment as a mother and grandfather got stuck on the train and ended up in Doncaster after seeing and helping their (grand)daughter off to Thailand where she was working as a teacher. The daughter thought it was hilarious, the staff were magnificent though they calmed the situation and sorted out a free ticket back for the two, well done Virgin Trains East Coast!

At Doncaster I have a 13 minute wait for my next possible cop in the form of the 1610 to Newcastle, unfortunately that turned out to be a dud 91106, well I decide to wait for only another 4 minutes to see what the Leeds service has to offer and I’ve hit jackpot again as required 91109 pulls in, I jump on board and travel as far as Wakefield Westgate where I have time for a PNB and grab a coffee and gingerbread robin from the Costa. Here I have a choice of two. The 1658 to London Kings Cross or the 1700 to Leeds, doesn’t give me much time to get across to the opposite platform but in a way I am not too bothered if the 1658 is a dud because if I get to Leeds I would probably start a bit of a shack attack, although my primary target is he VTEC fleet and I had needn’t of worried as a required 91131 rolls in on the 1658 to London Kings Cross while on the 1700 to Leeds was the dud 91122 (which I had copped earlier in the day).

Back at Doncaster I have over 50 minutes to wait for the next Virgin Trains heading north, but no matter plenty of trains to get photos of while I wait, the time passes pretty quickly but it starts to get cold and damp and when the 1810 arrives it is formed of duds 43307 and 43300. But never mind, another 8 minutes and a Leeds service is due and I’ve decided whatever is on this I am heading back to Leeds as I have had another good dynamic with another 7 of the VTEC fleet eliminated from my requirements. Unfortunately it was dud 91118 to take me to Leeds.

Back in Leeds I decide to have a run out to Castleford to see what is at Midland Road and Freightliner terminal, when the train arrives to form the 1912 to Knottingley it is a 158 and 153, I though cracking I stand a good chance here with a copy. But unfortunately not as they take the 158 off leaving dud 153316 which is full and standing by the time we leave. These units are really unsuitable for a lot of journals they do now as single coaches. The last one before this was a service from Lincoln and exactly the same thing happened. Can’t wait for these to disappear too in a few years.

At Castleford I leave the train and only have a few minutes to wait for my return journey which is the Goole to Leeds service and is formed of duds 153304 and 150114 to take me back to Leeds and a second glance as to what locomotives are knocking around.

Back at Leeds it is time to head home and I board the repainted 185108, which at 2009hrs is standing room only. Today I have had numerous occasions were it is shown at how little investment in rolling stock capacity there has been in the North and how the governments have been too London centric over the last couple of decades. The new rolling stock can’t come quickly enough.

Back at Manchester Piccadilly I have to say this journey to Manchester seemed to take a lot longer than the journey I made yesterday, maybe he answer is to get the service that calls as Manchester Victoria as it is a quicker journey? On arriving at Piccadilly the train guard apologies for being late...by 1 minute, I do think that is a bit excessive, I mean the apology not that the train was 1 minute late.

Anyhow I head straight to the Metrolink and find my tram isn’t due for another 9 minutes and there is an Eccles and Rochdale tram before mine, a chance here for a sneaky newbie? Well not with the Rochdale one as this is one of the older ones in the form of 3010, as for the Eccles tram this was formed of a pair of duds too with 3100 and 3091 working the service. I might as well wait here were I was sheltered and dry from the inclement weather. Eventually the tram for Altrincham arrived and is formed of duds 3034 and 3027 for the final leg of my journey on what has been two very good days.

NEW UNITS

43300, 43307, 91109, 91118, 91122, 91127, 91131
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Planning a Bristol to Swindon session for next month as I still needs ALOT of the GWR 43's. Not looking forward to doing too many of those trips but I need the locos.
Down to needing 12 Cls 91's and 17 HST's from VTEC now, I did put a bit ofurther a dint in them.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Day two sounds like a great one too! Feel free to PM me if you want any tips with getting the gWr trams around Swindon.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Epic jealousy levels in me as you got 43274, one of two VTEC power cars I need! I haven't checked on the 91s but estimating 4 of those would have been winners for me.

A top read, and I see you had a bit more variety in routes this time which must have helped. Single 153s in this day and age is just loony in Leeds (ooh a hashtag idea there...), like you I look forward to 153s being withdrawn for being well under-capacity. Bang them into 155s and it wouldn't be so bad! I'll miss 153 thrash in the Midlands mind when it happens...

As for GWR HST bashing, I'll PM you in the next couple of days. Former HST basher on just that area, so I should have more than enough expertise to guide you there. As a taster, I can promise you Swindon to Chippenham is far more interesting than York to Darlington! :lol:

andyb2706

Epic jealousy levels in me as you got 43274, one of two VTEC power cars I need! I haven't checked on the 91s but estimating 4 of those would have been winners for me.

A top read, and I see you had a bit more variety in routes this time which must have helped. Single 153s in this day and age is just loony in Leeds (ooh a hashtag idea there...), like you I look forward to 153s being withdrawn for being well under-capacity. Bang them into 155s and it wouldn't be so bad! I'll miss 153 thrash in the Midlands mind when it happens...

As for GWR HST bashing, I'll PM you in the next couple of days. Former HST basher on just that area, so I should have more than enough expertise to guide you there. As a taster, I can promise you Swindon to Chippenham is far more interesting than York to Darlington! :lol:

Well they say.....(sounds like a former BBC presenter there!) the 153's will be withdrawn by 2019 due DDA but like you said why don't they convert them back to 155 units, we need all the units we can get.

Thanks, I look forward to any gen you can give me in regards to knocking off the GWR 43's.

As to VTEC I still need loads more so guess what I will be doing again probably later this year and the choice of doing Doncaster-Wakefield and Doncaster-York was a lot more appealing, however not everything stops at Doncaster like they do at York.

alexf380

Established Member
A couple of nice reads there, Andy. Perhaps popping up to Newcastle on a couple of turns could have added a little bit of variety to break the monotony. A good, productive, few days nonetheless.

Established Member
Seemed very productive indeed Andy, certainly tweeting a pic of my last 144 was uncallled for;):lol::lol::lol::lol:

Great reads indeed, it shouldnt take too long to put a dint in the VTEC stuff, Im on a 2nd time with the blunts. The HSTs are still proving a little more difficult but Im getting there, without chasing them, so Im confident, you'll knock em all off in due course.

andyb2706

A couple of nice reads there, Andy. Perhaps popping up to Newcastle on a couple of turns could have added a little bit of variety to break the monotony. A good, productive, few days nonetheless.

Thought of Newcastle but it was bit of a run from York and I was trying to maximise my trips, also I'm up in Newcastle for a few days later this year so I can have a play then.
Seemed very productive indeed Andy, certainly tweeting a pic of my last 144 was uncallled for;):lol::lol::lol::lol:

Great reads indeed, it shouldnt take too long to put a dint in the VTEC stuff, Im on a 2nd time with the blunts. The HSTs are still proving a little more difficult but Im getting there, without chasing them, so Im confident, you'll knock em all off in due course.

had to tweet a picture of the 144. it was so spooky we had been tweeting about it and then it turned up, you would never had believed me. :D
Doncaster- York is better than Haymarket - Edinburgh ;)

Totally true. For one its worth sitting down on the Doncaster - York and secondly ther is something to see:D

Established Member
Have to agree Andy it was rather spooky, especially as we were only just talking about that very unit. I should've said, has Cheryl Cole not been pestering you to spend the night with her.:lol::lol:

andyb2706

Warning: This report does not only pertain to trains or trams, if you are averse to reading about buses please read another report (I feel like one of those programmes that has to warn people about flashing lights and strobe lighting – Ed).

This morning was totally un-planned, okay a slight lie. I had an idea for the first hour and then the rest of it was off the hoof. Having read a few reports which included the odd trip on a bus to get to the stations and a colleague at work who likes photographing buses I decided to give it a go and to tie it into a train/tram bash around Manchester, so it was off to Wythenshawe Park tram stop where I purchased a Tram/Train/Bus ticket for £9.60 ( unlike the Wayfarer this ticket does have peak period restrictions on it for the trains in the evening but for some strange reason you cannot purchase a Wayfarer from a tram stop. Most annoying – Ed).

With the requirement for two stops on the Metrolink Airport line I set my sights on these first so I boarded dud 3081 to take me to the first of these and left the tram at Roundthorn where a twelve minute fester was had while waiting for the next tram, in the meantime I started photographing buses, or trying, as I was in the wrong location due to where the sun was and came away with only one decent shot. While waiting there I realised I had not had any breakfast and was starting to feel hungry so when 3083 arrived I boarded for a short trip to dud station of Wythenshawe Town Centre where I purchased a Greggs breakfast before spending about forty minutes in the glorious sunshine photographing buses at the fairly new Wythenshawe Interchange bus station.

After finishing my breakfast and drink I head for the next tram and board dud 3092 to take me to Shadowmoss which is my final stop on the Airport line, all I have remaining on the Metrolink is the majority of stops on the Ashton and Bury lines and the new St. Peters Square when it opens. From Shadowmoss I board my first bus of the day which is MX59 JDK (Alexander Dennis Enviro 200 of Stagecoach Manchester) operating the 18A Trafford Centre to Manchester Airport, after inspecting the timetable I decide to head off on the 18 service to Hale so as to be able to grab my last Mid-Cheshire line station within the Greater Manchester area. The bus was MX61 AVF (VDL Bus/Wright Pulsar 2 of Arriva North West) operating the 18 service from Manchester Airport to Altrincham. On arriving in the Hale area I leave the train and then realise I have no idea where I am as I thought the route went across the level crossing in Hale but instead went over a railway bridge. By the time I realised this the train was due in five minutes and I had to quickly consult with Google maps to locate the station, which it indicated was four minutes away to walk, this was going to be tight, anyhow a brisk walk found me arriving at the station with a minute to spare and 150268 rolled in to take me on stop along the line to Altrincham.

At Altrincham I decide to swap railway lines and need to do another bus journey to do this so I have a few minutes to wait for CX07 CPU (VDL Bus/Wright Cadet of Arriva North west) operating the 247 service from Altrincham to The Trafford Centre) through the beautiful Cheshire countryside to Flixton. On the Manchester to Liverpool line I still require three stations within the Greater Manchester area and two of them are Chassen Road and Humphrey Park, however I discovered due to the frequency of the trains if I tried to do these by train only I would take me over two hours! So a plot was devised.

After a fifteen-minute wait at Flixton I boarded a required 156487 with 150103 on the rear to take me to a couple of stops down the line to Humphrey Park. After I left the station I should have had about a twelve-minute wait for my bus but after twenty-minute wait I was beginning to wonder whether I would make my connection! Another four minutes and the bus turned up and it was BX54 DLJ (Dennis Dart/Plaxton Mini Pointer of M Travel) operating the 276 service from Withington Hospital to Trafford General Hospital, I stay on the bus until we reach The Roebuck pub on the corner of Chassen Road in Flixton where I leave the bus and realise that I have not stopped since I left the flat this morning and require a PNB so I just have enough time to pop into the pub to use their amenities and a quick soft drink. Don’t like the idea to use the toilets in any establishment without having drink or food. Anyhow after a quick diet coke I left the pub for a five-minute walk to Chassen Road station where I had only about five minutes to wait for the train which was dud 156427 to take me through to Deansgate, only Glazebrook now remains on the Manchester-Liverpool line that is within the Greater Manchester area now.

My plan at Deansgate was to get the Metroshuttle across to Manchester Victoria to pick up the stopping Liverpool service to get Patricroft which is another awkward station to get as you would have a long festering time on the station if you wait for the next train back. So we duly arrive at Deansgate and I leave the station and the bus stop is just outside the station and I do not have long to wait for YJ60 KCE to arrive (Optare Solo Hybrid SR of First Manchester) and I climb aboard for the trip along Deansgate to Manchester Victoria. I have twenty-six minutes to complete the short journey of 1.3 miles along Deansgate, plenty of time…… fifteen minutes later and only half way into the journey I started to worry I was not going to make it in time, with only four minutes to spare I enter Manchester Victoria and head to the platform and wait for dud 319363 to take me to Patricroft.

At Patricroft I leave the train and am happy to have knocked another one of the awkward stations to get of my requirements list and start the short walk to Liverpool Road to catch a bus back to Manchester, after a few minutes of waiting MX07 BPY (Volvo B7TL/Wright Eclipse Gemini of First Manchester) working the 67 Cadishead to Manchester Shudehill arrives to take me back to Manchester, however at Eccles I have the sudden urge to bail, don’t know why but I do and after taking a few photos I climb aboard MX58 DWL (Volvo B9TL/Wright Eclipse Gemini of First Manchester) working yet another 67 service from Cadishead to Manchester Shudehill, you may now think I will stay on this back to Manchester but no….at Salford town centre I bail yet again as I now know what I am after and after another PNB stop in Tesco and locating where my next bus goes from I have a short walk to find the bus stop, after a ten-minute wait my chariot arrives in the form of BL65 OYZ (Volvo B5LH/Wright Eclipse Gemini 3 Hybrid of First Manchester) working the V2 bus service from Manchester Stevenson Square to Atherton via the guided busway, yes I am going to see what all the fuss is about with the guided busway.

At this time of the day (1625) the bus is pretty full, it was standing room only downstairs so I head to the upper deck and towards the back of the bus as there are not many seats up here neither but I find an aisle seat so cannot see out to well as they are high backed leather seats with USB charge points in the back of them, there is even a table on each side! The first part of the bus route is no different to any bus route until you enter the guided busway, which at the first stop I alight and examine the scene, there is the guided busway with pit in it, this is known as a car trap so should a car decide to try to use the guided busway it will fall down it. Now I can see the reasoning for a method to stop cars using the guided busway but this one may be counterproductive as these pits if a car falls down them you simple can’t reverse out it is a recovery job so the guided busway would be out of use for a while, it might have been better to design something where if you try to use the busway and you hit the trap the only way you can go is backwards and try a different route. Also at the stops there are screens showing you when your next bus is and also the diversionary route and stops for your bus should the guided busway be out of action (for example when a car becomes trapped). I don’t have to wait long for my next bus to arrive BW65 DCO (Volvo B5LH/Wright Eclipse Gemini 3 Hybrid of First Manchester) on the V2 bus service from Manchester Stevenson Square to Atherton, this one is quieter so am able to get a seat upstairs at the front and the first thing that strikes me is the guided busway is that it is very hilly as we proceed down it, they have landscaped it beautifully with young trees and a wide walkway for people to walk or cycle along and once the wildlife and trees begin to grow it will be an haven for the wildlife.

At Astley Street the buses diverge with the V2 turning off the guided busway to head to Atherton bus station so I alight my bus here as I want to do the entire length of the guided busway and wait for a Leigh service which is only a few minutes behind and is BL65 YZK (Volvo B5LH/Wright Eclipse Gemini 3 Hybrid of First Manchester) on the V1 Manchester Stevenson Square to Leigh bus station.

At Leigh bus station I have a wander round the station and see operators I’ve not seen before. I didn’t realise the variety of bus operators just within the Greater Manchester area. I decide to head back to Manchester and it was either the bus I came on….I think not, or SN65 DZE (Alexander Dennis Enviro 400 MMC of Stagecoach Manchester) which is operating the 34 service from Leigh to Manchester Piccadilly. So I jump on the latter which is not a bad journey considering I had just come on what was considered the fast journey and this bus also had USB points. Anyhow, back at Manchester Piccadilly I decide it is time to head home and my final trip is on SN14 TUH (Alexander Dennis Enviro 400 of First Manchester) operating the 41 service from Manchester Piccadilly to Sale Metrolink stop.

It has not been a bad day, a lot of new bus stuff but also two new tram stops (Roundthorn and Shadowmoss) meaning the airport line is now cleared, four new train stations within the Greater Manchester area (Hale, Humphrey Park, Chassen Road and Patricroft) which I could not have done in one day without the help of the buses and the surprise one was a new train in the form of 156487. I think I might do one of these days again to help to knock off a few more of the stations I still require.

Established Member
I'm not averse to reading about buses - only riding on them :)
I fancy doing Shadowmoss tram stop at some point soon, if only so I can attempt a Shadowmoss/Shadowplay Joy Division gag ;)
Anyway, looks like a good time was had.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Quite a decent day there all in, fair game :) The guided busway sounds interesting, it must be said. One day I might get to try it.

I'm mind-blown I cleared the Airport line shacks before you, but you'll have the Rochdale line done before me, without a doubt!

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Sounds like a fun day! It wouldn't be one for me because of the buses but it sounds like you had a good time anyway.

Established Member
A good read Andy, not a bus crank myself, so regarding, the types of buses you used, you may as well be talking Swahili to me but a wise move to scratch of those awkward shacks and you certainly seemed to enjoy your day, a new unit and a few more shacks, no doubt a fair few buses also scratched off, so a productive day all round.

Keith Jarrett

Another excellent read and there's nothing wrong with using buses while out bashing. There's plenty of multimodal bashers out there so no need to feel ashamed. Agreed that rail only guys will probably think that you are talking gibberish but that should not stop you adding a bit of detail to your reports.

And that guided busway sounds like fun. Just hope that idiot car drivers do not mess things up.

Status
Not open for further replies.