• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Andy's Wanderings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Congratulations on getting it in at last with 3036, I had to smile to myself this morning when I saw it was not present on my list of requirements! I hope to knock down my Metrolink requirements somewhat on Monday, only got 5 hours up there but it should be enough to make a big dent at least.

Good work on the local shacks too!

EDIT: 6X sounds good, I haven't yet tried it but will do when I find some!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

andyb2706

Congratulations on getting it in at last with 3036, I had to smile to myself this morning when I saw it was not present on my list of requirements! I hope to knock down my Metrolink requirements somewhat on Monday, only got 5 hours up there but it should be enough to make a big dent at least.

Good work on the local shacks too!

EDIT: 6X sounds good, I haven't yet tried it but will do when I find some!

Thanks for that and thanks for not telling me that you didn't need it, it is appreciated.

If you just stay round the city centre you should knock off quite a few of them but you won't get many shacks. Try Manchester Victoria, I was stood there on the railway station the other week looking over at the tram stop and I am sure there are more trams using the station than trains as it seems like one after another, of course you have the short hop to the new Exchange Square and try to avoid around St. Peters Square(unless you want to see how the new stop is coming on) as it is a bit of a bottle neck. The highest tram number I have seen about is 3109.

Funnily enough we might pass each other on the trains as you head up to my neck of the woods and I head off down to the midlands. I'm now wondering what your hashtag for Monday has anything to do with Manchester, do mind what you say I am a proud Mancunian ;)

I might be telling you things you know here but if you are also looking for a spoons there are 5. There is The Piccadilly at Piccadilly Gardens to be honest I find this a bit rough the others are better. You have The Waterhouse near the building site that is to be St. Peters Square new tram stop, The Moon Over the Water which is on Deansgate (roughly 10 min walk from Victoria), The Paramount on the corner of Portland Street and Oxford Street and the final one and probably the closest to any station is actually a Lloyd's Bar in The Printworks at Manchester Victoria.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I was in two minds as to mentioning it or not, understanding after all what being competitive is like, but as you've got it now all is gravy :)

To be honest I doubt I'm going to have much time for Spoons, I get into town at 1115 and leave again on the 1630 out of Piccadilly. It would normally be the 1730, but off to my mate James' to print out New York stuff and I wanted to be back in Hereford before he finishes work at 1900. We'll see how things go though.

Exchange Square is certainly required, and as it stands the last bit of track I need on the light rail network around the country. Until the new Midland Metro bit opens of course.

andyb2706

I woke up this morning about 50 minutes before the alarm was due to go off and I had to get up as I needed to get out of bed so I decided I would stay up and have a look at Railforums and to get a few bits and bobs done. I had also decided I want a reasonable lazy day so decide to drive to the tram stop instead of walking it ... that didn’t last long. Don’t get me wrong I drove but when I parked up I noticed there was a tram due in 1 minute and had to run from the car park to the stop, luckily I had purchased a weekly ticket so didn’t have to muck around buying one. I headed of to Manchester on dud 3047 coupled to 3035.

At Piccadilly I head to purchase my ticket to Stoke and then try and get a Greggs but unfortunately there is a long queue and I only have 10 minutes for my train so with a heavy heart I forego my Greggs bacon roll and instead purchase a bacon roll from Sainsbury’s hot counter in the recently refurbished and expanded Sainsbury’s on the station. It was okay but it was no Greggs. I then make my way to the train and it is due to leave in under 5 minutes. Although I need quite few 30 for haulage unfortunately this was it one of them so I find a table seating coach F of 390156 a settle down for my journey to Stoke, an uneventful journey with just the usual Northern, Cross Country and Virgin Trains knocking around.

At Stoke I bid farewell to the 390 and have about 15 minutes to wait which will give me enough time to buy a coffee, after buying a coffee from Pumpkin I check RTT for my next train, the 0928 to London Euston and find it calls at Stone – a required station although this was not the plan for today so after an internal battle I decide to stick to my original plan and Stone can wait for another time when I can plan it into some moves, best time to do Stone I think would be when having a play around Crewe/Stoke/Derby as it is served by an hourly service and is best to do Stoke-Stone-Stoke as you only have a 15 minute wait doing it this way. My first decent unit pulls in to take me onwards with 350121 to my first new shack of the day.

At Lichfield Trent Valley my first new shack of the day I leave the train and head upstairs for the Cross City line and this station kind of reminds me of those old films, or even Thomas the Tank Engine cartoon were you have the mainline trains running with a bridge over the line and on that bridge the little local train waiting for the passengers off the main line, and today it was a dud 323206 to take me on my hunt for shacks on the Cross City line.

On arriving at Butlers Lane I leave the train to strike off another shack and head to the opposite platform for a 12 minute wait back towards where I had just come from, I’m hoping for better luck on the unit front. My hopes are dashed as a dud 323243 pulls in so I climb aboard for a 2 station hop to Shenstone for another required shack were a 5 minute wait will bring me another dud unit. When it arrived I wasn’t surprised as I saw it go the other way and 323222 (I need 220 and 221!) took me to the next station along the line for another new shack.

At Blake Street (shack no:3 for the day on the Cross City Line) I leave the train and am able to amble across to the other platform with plenty for time to spare as I have 20 minute wait for my next train, with my fingers crossed. Need to cross more than my fingers!! When my train arrived it was 323211 a dud, and guess what, I need 323212. They all seem to be one out today, surely my luck during the day should change?

At Lichfield City I leave the train to score another shack and have 15 minutes to wait for the 1145 to Redditch and when it arrives it is a good 323214, now I am down to 5 Class 323 to clear the entire class and all of them are London Midland. On departing of Lichfield City I notice the 3 spires of the church or cathedral, whichever it is. I think that at some point I may have to have a look around them....but not today.

On my journey to dud station of Aston I notice a few decent units going the other way which puts me in a bit of a dilemma as I want the units but I also want to do Bordesley later on. At Aston I leave the train for a 4 minute connection and a dud 323207 to take me on to the next station.

At Duddeston I leave the train and bag myself another station and I think I have figured out how to bag another unit so I wait for the next train back to Aston. After a short wait a dud 323207 arrives to take me back to Aston were I have a 7 minute wait for what, I hope will be a decent unit if I have worked it out correctly, and I have with 323205 to take me to my first visit of the day to Birmingham New Street.

At New Street I walk over to Birmingham Moor Street and prepare to do a positioning move for my next shack. In doing so I board the dud 172219 to take me to Spring Road. The original plan had been to bail at Small Heath but it would mean about a 20 minute wait in the cold for the train but if I went through to Spring Road it would bring it down to only 8 minutes.

At Spring Road, sure enough I had 8 minutes to wait for pair of duds 172222 and 172213 to arrive and I boarded 172213 for my next shack cop of Bordesley!!!

Yea!! Bordesley done and photo evidence on twitter. Now for the next move. From here there is no train so it is a walk back into Birmingham and my original plan had been to go to New Street and hopefully grab a few things from there but I need to be back at Moor Street for around 1530 to get another station I want, all will be revealed in a bit, this was going to be a pain so on the train trip to Bordesley I interrogated RTT and found there was another way of doing it but the train left Moor Street at 1355. When I got to Bordesley I set up Google Maps and it told me the walk to Moor Street would take 20 minutes, the time was now 1338...need to shave at least 4 minutes off!! So I thought I would give it a go, whoever says next that train Spotting is not energetic or exciting will get the rough end of my tongue. As I was going along the ETA dropped a minute here or there, a few slow moving people were side stepped, it was the cars that were a pain in the backside as I didn’t fancy arguing with them. At 1353 I entered Moor Street Station, at 1354 I was boarding the train and at 1355 we were leaving the station. I know I have done runs were I just have a couple of minutes to swap platforms but they all now pale into significance to what I have now just accomplished and to make it even better I’m sat in a coach with 68010 giving us a good push from behind hurtling down the Chiltern Main Line. The locomotive is a dud but I don’t care I just love these engines and after what I’ve just gone through it was a prize well worth claiming. Plus, I have a future needed station in a while.

At Leamington Spa I say farewell to 68010 and just cross the platform to board the waiting 165022 to wait for our departure time.

On arriving at Lapworth I leave the train for a new shack and with the next train not being for over an hour I head of to the pub recommended to me which is only a 10 minute walk each way so time for a pint and some warmth before probably getting the same unit back. At the pub I try the Wadworth 6X that was recommended and I have to say a fine pint it was and I had to be careful because it as going down too well.

It came the time to leave the pub and I didn’t really want to as I had a nice pint, food looked good and I had settled in front of the log fire! But I forced myself out of the seat and headed back to the station were after just short of 10 minutes dud 165022 arrived to take me to Leamington Spa where the train terminated, I crossed to the north bound platform and had a 10 minute wait for my train, although I did have the opportunity to jump on a Voyager back to Manchester Piccadilly but it is too early for that yet and I am glad I didn’t as the 1626 to Birmingham Moor Street was formed of 168322 and 168324, both needed since heir conversion from 170/3 and the interior is totally different.

Back at Moor Street my plan was to head off to New Street and continue with my Cross City line to the far south (nothing needed up to no including Longbridge) unfortunately the next train was to Longbridge and was a dud unit so a quick check of RTT showed there was a Redditch service in 12 minutes on platform 11 so I headed over there, however when I arrived I noted 170633 to Worcester Shrub Hill on platform 10...a required unit and first stop Bromsgrove, a required station. Blow Redditch, seeing I can get two for the price of one, of to Bromsgrove I go.

At Bromsgrove as I am about to leave the train I notice a big concrete wall has been built on the opposite side and was going to ask about it but as I went over the bridge I saw the brand new station being built and I have to say that is one heck of a big BR sign on it! This does mean I will have to do Bromsgrove again once the new station is open buy it does also mean I have visited the old one before it shuts. Is the new station having more than 2 platforms? A few minutes late and 170506 and 170503 arrive to take me back towards Birmingham with 170503 being required I climb aboard for the trip back.

At University I leave the train with the plan of trying to get some more of the 323 units I need, however it is now dark and cold and I think I would like to get home at a reasonable time so it is yet another change of plan as I check RTT and find out that the 1815 to Birmingham gets there and 6 minutes later a train to Manchester departs from the next platform so I board dud 323201 and start my journey home, at Birmingham New Street I board dud 220026 to take me back to Manchester, the train is busy as it is 1830 on a Saturday evening and I’m feeling tired so I plug in my headphones and listen to music throughout the journey, back at Manchester the final leg of my journey is aboard a dud 3049 to Brooklands.

Throughout these two days I have said that the third day on Monday will be for Oxford, however after consideration I’m postponing that for later in the year when I can spend at least a night there to make the most of the ticket and I still have a load to do in the rest of the area so I plan to get a few 323 units and more stations on Monday.

NEW TRACK
Lichfield Trent Valley to Four Oaks

NEW SHACKS
Blake Street, Bordesley, Bromsgrove, Butlers Lane, Duddeston, Lapworth, Lichfield City, Lichfield Trent Valley, Shenstone.

NEW UNITS
165022, 168322, 17050, 170633, 323205, 323214, 350121.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Quite the decent day overall in my part of the world, despite several dud Starships.

Yes Bromsgrove is getting four platforms, one of which at least will be used by extending the CrossCity line services. I think that happens next year, but not sure. I've not noticed any discussion on that lately so maybe 2018.

I'd imagine you need a ton of stuff, both train and shack wise, down in Oxfordshire so I'd agree with leaving it until a day you can dedicate to the area.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Sounds like a good day in Brum! 185143 and I passed you at about Small Heath on your ride to Bordesley and we were at Moor Street when 168322 and 324 arrived.

Kite159

Veteran Member
We would have passed each other yesterday around Stone (as I was heading up on a lovely 220 towards Manchester).

Well done on getting Bordesley, certainly beats Clifton in terms of lack of train frequency ;)

Oxfordshire will take a good couple days to clear out, especially the Cotwolds line and the likes of Combe, Finstock & that other one, which only get 1 train a day (I suggest borrowing a bike)

andyb2706

I was definitely going out today if for no other reason but the date. Plan is to do a bit more around the West Midlands but with those of you who regularly read my reports you will know I don’t often stick to my plans so I’ll see how it goes.

Was up an hour before my alarm so decided to update a few things in my mileage logs and am now only 6 miles short of 4000 miles for the year . Think I will break that today. At 0730 I was heading to the tram stop to pick up dud 3009 to Manchester Piccadilly and to be honest any tram I have on the Altrincham lines will be duds because all you can get on the Altrincham line are trams numbered up to somewhere round the 3060 Mark due to the signalling system at Altrincham.

On arriving at Manchester I head up to the station and purchase my ticket to Stoke, my plan is to get the 0827 Cross Country direct to Birmingham but the ticket office lady told me the next train for Stoke is in 5 minutes and is the 0815 to London Euston, still wanting a coffee and breakfast in thought I would take a quick look to see what is on it and found it to be 390005, a required train....dilemma! Food or haulage, okay it didn’t take me long to decide and I was soon sat on the unit to Stoke-on-Trent where I can at least pick up a coffee if nothing else while I wait for my train to Birmingham. When departing Manchester I saw a Cross Country train in the platform and assume that is the 0827 I was going to get or could now pick up at Stoke-on-Trent and was formed by a dud 221132 so the correct decision was made.

On approaching Stoke-on-Trent I noticed a freight train trying to hide amongst the trees at Newcastle Junction but was able to make out 66112. I made a straight to Pumpkin for a coffee and bacon roll, it was okay but no Greggs, I have high standards

sprinterguy

Established Member
On arriving at Lapworth I leave the train for a new shack and with the next train not being for over an hour I head of to the pub recommended to me which is only a 10 minute walk each way so time for a pint and some warmth before probably getting the same unit back. At the pub I try the Wadworth 6X that was recommended and I have to say a fine pint it was and I had to be careful because it as going down too well.

It came the time to leave the pub and I didn’t really want to as I had a nice pint, food looked good and I had settled in front of the log fire!
I'm glad you liked the pub, and the 6X. :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Who mentioned a decent pint of 6X? That in itself is a good enough reason to temporarily suspend bashing hostilities.
Exactly right. :D

noddy1878

Established Member
Just caught up! Sounds like you had a good few trips. I feel your pain when needing a fair few units in a class and you keep getting duds! Plenty of new shacks and other winning units though so not all bad. Oh, and well done on getting that pesky tram!

Kite159

Veteran Member
If changing at New Street, I suggest making use of the stairs at the B end of the platforms, as you don't have to go via barriers ;)

A productive day in the west midlands :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Well you've done a bit I've never done, that being the (relatively) new loop at Alvechurch!

Looks like you enjoyed your visit to my part of the world, I forgot you were on my stomping grounds when I booked tickets on Friday morning. Hopefully next time I'll have the opportunity to put a face to your username!

Kristofferson

Just caught up myself! Thoroughly enjoyed that, so thanks for the read :)

Regarding photos and hard to spot numbers, I find a decent camera can help you see numbers you wouldn't have been able to see with your eyes!

I agree that Lichfield TV is like a model railway - it's like mine anyway :)

It's good to hear you passed through Stoke on Trent station - it's a surprisingly grand station considering there isn't really anything of interest in the surrounding area.

My tip for New Street echoes Kite's - use the B end! Personally I prefer it not just because it's easier, but because it actually looks like a train station... Also I'm far more familiar with that end, having spent a lot of time at New Street after that part of the station opened!

Congratulations on the X City shacks of course :)

andyb2706

Well finally reached the end of this mega trip spread over 8 days and to be honest I will be glad to get back to work for a rest☺. Alarm goes off again at 6am and after a quick shower and feeding the cat I head off to the tram, again I had planned to walk the 20 minutes to the tram stop but would have cut into spotting time, well that is what I tried to kid myself with when truthfully I was just being lazy and it was cold, as routine a dud tram to take me to Piccadilly where I had two choices after getting my Greggs breakfast. First was a dud 390126 which would take me to my first new shack or 390121 which was required for haulage but wouldn’t take me were I wanted to go but with a change at Crewe I would get to my original planned new shack but 15 minutes later. Really it was a no brainer, jumped on 390121 for a score to take me to Crewe where I would have a 25 minute wait for the opportunity to score a Virgin Trains 221, for which I still need quite a few.

On arriving at Crewe I had time to visit the facilities and purchase the new Rail magazine and still watch a few trains arrive and depart with a few photos taken, I noted 221113 going to Chester which is a required red pen and was just hoping that the train to arrive shortly from Chester to take me on 1 would be of similar usefulness, it wasn’t as it was dud 221142.

During the journey it came to my attention as to how thick people can be. The train manager announced that on the 5 car Voyager there was now only 2 toilets working and the reason being is that people were not flushing the toilets properly and they were becoming blocked.....how hard can it be to flush a toilet!? Am I turning into a grumpy old man?

On arriving a Milton Keynes Central (Shack No:1) I leave the train to a very blustery and damp morning and am getting excited by the numerous LM 350’s knocking around giving me a good chance of scoring quite a few red pens. I have 15 minute wait for my next train and I am beginning to wonder why I have never done any train hunting around here before as I have always headed straight into London. On time the 1019 to Crewe arrives and is formed of 350111, which is a good one for me to take me to my number 2 shack of the day.

My train pulls into Rugby and I alight and I thought Milton Keynes was blustery! Rugby station is so open to the elements and I can not wait for my next train to arrive and I don’t care even if it is a dud.... okay so I lie!! I do care if it is a dud and luckily for me it wasn’t and was formed of 350370 to take me to shack number 3 of the day of Wolverton.

Well the weather isn’t getting any better wherever I go today and Wolverton is no different and fortunately I only have 15 minutes to wait but it turns out to be dud 350266 which will take me to my next new shack.

At Northampton I leave the train to score the station, as if I had any choice because this is where the train terminates. I have a 10 minute wait for my next train to take me to my 5th shack of the day which is Long Buckby and is formed of good unit 350368.

At Long Buckby I just miss the return train however my plan had been to catch the following one anyhow but the weather is getting worse as it is now snowing. I only have 14 minutes to wait but it seemed like a long 14 minutes and when the train arrived it was dud 350268, the plan easy to stay on this unit to Bletchley and then head off along to Bedford but on checking RTT I found it would be a long wait so decided to stay on 350268 as far as Leighton Buzzard and get the next train back to Bletchley to pick up the same train to Bedford.

Leighton Buzzard is yet again another new shack yet I don’t have long to take it in because within 4 minutes I was boarding good 350249 to take me to Bletchley for yet another new shack, at Bletchley I only have 10 minutes until my departure and for the second time this week I score a London Midland 150 in the form of 150107 that takes me through to Bedford. I was considering getting this back half way and picking up the other unit back to Bedford if it had been the remaining 150 that I needed but it was 153371 so I decided to stick to my original plan and do a positioning move from Bedford to St. Albans, which proofed to be a good move as the Thames link service was formed of a pair for good 377 in the form of 377507 for Bedford to Luton and then I transferred via Luton platform so that I could score the station to 377513 to take me to St Albans City and a nightmare situation nearly arisen on leaving this train as I dropped my book with all my details in from the Midlands Mayhem saga and it was only because of a kind gentleman pointing it out to me that my last four trips didn’t go up in smoke. From St Albans City I used Google Maps to plot my route from St Albans City station to St Albans Abbey, unfortunately the shortest rout it planned included a public footpath along side a small river which never dawned on me was going to be a bit muddy and ended up with dirty trainers and I was lucky nothing else ended up dirty as I was slipping around all the time.

At St Albans Abbey I only have 5 minutes to wait for the arrival of the next train to Watford Junction and it was a required 319216 looking resplendent in the London Midland livery for the school trip back to Watford Junction, which today is one of the few dud stations before the day started. It was approximately 1630 when I got to Watford Junction and this was when the fun really began because the London Midland trains were either 8 or 12 car trains so there was double or triple chance of required units. My first train arrived and it was formed of 3 units with two of the three units being required so I jumped on 350102 for a one station hop to Kings Langley were I transferred to 350255 via the platform some I could bag the station and then settled down for a short trip to Apsley were I left the train as the remaining unit was a dud.

Yet again Apsley was a new station and I was quite happy putting it in the book, here I had 30 minutes to wait for my next train as it was running a few minutes late and while waiting three Royal Mail units went through although I was only able to log 325005 and 325015. My next train arrived and it was formed of dud 350266 but a required 350129 for a short journey to Hemel Hempstead (another new shack) where I left the train and waited for the next London Midland train heading North, in the meantime 70009 came through on a Freightliner train heading North as well. My next service arrived and was worked by two required 350 units so I boarded 350241 as far as Berkhamsted where again I transferred to the other unit which was 250260 via the platform so I could log the station and stayed on board to the trains destination at Tring.

Tring also was a new shack for me and I had a 10 minute wait there with a couple of Southern and London Midland services passing by. To my surprise when my train arrived it was formed of a pair of 319 units going to Milton Keynes with the leading unit being a dud 319013 while the rear unit was a required 319429 so I boarded the rear unit for a one train stop to Cheddington.

At Cheddington I alighted to cop another shack and had a 20 minute wait for my next train which was formed of a pair of required 350’s in 350233 to Bletchley where I then transferred through to connection gangway duets not needing Bletchley to 350257 for the final stretch to Milton Keynes Central. At Milton Keynes Central I was going to wait for the 1854 to Birmingham New Street because I had figured out I had seen three coupled units going to London earlier and I required two of them for haulage and this would be it’s back working, however looking at the screens I would only have got one of the units because the two good ones were being taken off at Northampton and I would have had the dud to Birmingham New Street. After only a few minutes of residing myself to this I here an announcement and see a pair of 350 units arrive to form the 1848 to Birmingham New Street with the units dividing at Northampton, both units were required so a mad dash across from platform 3 to platform 6 fighting my way through the hoards of people who have just got off the train..” Move people there are 6 of you coming towards me and only me in the other direction” for the first time I used my elbows.... never done that before. Anyhow I managed to board the unit that was being detached at Northampton and sat down on 350103 until just before Northampton were I transferred to 350112 for the final section of the journey to Birmingham New Street. At Birmingham New Street I have a 10 minute wait for my train and it was a dud 220003. I still require over 30 220/221 units and over these 4 days I have not had one of them! Back at Manchester Piccadilly I head straight for the tram.

NEW TRACK
Bletchley to Bedford
Hillmorton Junction to Hanslope Junction (Northampton Loop)
St. Albans Abbey to Watford Junction

NEW SHACKS
Apsley, Bedford, Berkhamsted, Bletchley, Cheddington, Hemel Hempstead, Kings Langley, Leighton Buzzard, Long Buckby, Luton, Milton Keynes Central, Northampton, Rugby, St. Albans Abbey, St. Albans City, Tring, Wolverton.

NEW UNITS
150107, 319216, 319429, 350102, 350103, 350111, 350112, 350129, 350149, 350233, 350241, 350255, 350257, 350260, 350368, 350370, 377507, 377513, 390121.

noddy1878

Established Member
Another great day out. I liked the comment about needing work for a rest! The weather has certainly been challenging at times the last week or so. Not great when standing around waiting! Overall you must be pleased with that haul of shacks and units in a single day though.

My rules wouldn't have allowed Kings Langley though. I have to catch a different service from the station or leave by other means. Everyones rules are different though.

andyb2706

Very happy with the haul thanks.

Like you said Noddy everybody's rules are different I have to arrive or leave or do both and I have to take some steps on the platform itself to be able to log the station.

I'm not too fond of the idea of driving to a station and then leaving by car as well, sorry Tech, but everyone to their own.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
No no, not at all, as we all say everyone has slightly different rules. I daresay you two wouldn't have approved of my walk from Bucknall to Craven Arms via Hopton Heath and Broome stations either, but it works for me.

Another excellent read good sir, I would agree on the work and rest thing but that's so not the case for me! :lol:

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
It sounds like a great final day there!

andyb2706

Hi Guys,

Under 48 hours until I start my next wandering which is going to last 48 hours and is part of my 3 capital cities of the UK over the coming month. You can follow me on Twitter with #3capitalsUK

Keith Jarrett

Hi Guys,

Under 48 hours until I start my next wandering which is going to last 48 hours and is part of my 3 capital cities of the UK over the coming month. You can follow me on Twitter with #3capitalsUK

Engages pedant mode. The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland has four capitals cities - it's probably Belfast that you've left off the list.

I assume you mean Great Britain and are visiting Cardiff, Edinburgh and London. Disengages pedant mode.

Anyway have a great time and look forward to reading about your antics.

Kristofferson

Great read, glad you got most of the LM 319s there! I haven't seen 216 in its new livery in the flesh yet, but from the photos I've seen it looks great.

MKC is indeed a great place to collect 350s - even better than Euston for sight and haulage opportunities, I'd say.

I will be following your next trip on Twitter :)

andyb2706

Engages pedant mode. The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland has four capitals cities - it's probably Belfast that you've left off the list.

I assume you mean Great Britain and are visiting Cardiff, Edinburgh and London. Disengages pedant mode.

Anyway have a great time and look forward to reading about your antics.

There is always one pedantic. .....;)

But maybe I should have said Great Britain. Thanks for reading.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Great read, glad you got most of the LM 319s there! I haven't seen 216 in its new livery in the flesh yet, but from the photos I've seen it looks great.

MKC is indeed a great place to collect 350s - even better than Euston for sight and haulage opportunities, I'd say.

I will be following your next trip on Twitter :)
216 does look great in London Midland livery, probably because it was clean. Give it a few months and it may change as for MAC for the 350's I agree.especially in the rush hour when they go around in 3's. Wish I knew of it before now as I would be well further on with my 350's.

Established Member
Agai trying to catch up with everyones reports, excellent reads there Andy, very producive on all fronts, looking forward to the next one, hope I manage to get through everyone elses before your next trips up.

Established Member
As someone who got caught out with having to go through the barriers at New Street several times yesterday I certainly appreciate the tip about using the B end stairs, I'll remember that next time, so thanks for that chaps.
Anyway, some more enjoyable reading there.
Good luck with your three capitals jaunts.

andyb2706

Good morning everyone. Over these next few months I plan on visiting the 3 Capitals of Great Britain with overnight stays to make the most of it, not the UK as someone pointed out because that would include Belfast. So London later on this month and Edinburgh in May means my destination today is Cardiff.

Monday 7th March 2016
Finishing my nights this morning I had decided to head off out to get my body clock switched back over, plus I can get genned up for the day so I have different starting point for this trip so board a service from Salford Crescent to Manchester Piccadilly formed of a pair of dud 142’s in the form of 142051 and 142066, I board the former.

We arrive at Piccadilly 3 minutes early which gives me +15 for the 0730 to Milford Haven and I really want to get it because it is a required 175110 and what a way to start the day, but I need some breakfast so I take the gamble and nip to Greggs but keep an eye on the time as there is no way I want to miss this train and have to wait another hour. Today I also decide to be healthier and instead of the bacon roll (which I might have tomorrow instead for breakfast -ED) I have a golden syrup porridge, which if I am honest about makes a really nice change, anyhow I head back to the station and arrive back on the platform at 0726, just enough time to get a photo before climbing aboard the train, my earlier service arriving 3 minutes early made a big difference. I am amazed at how many empty seats there were around me and people were still standing, don’t they want a seat? We are all humans; we don’t bite......actually some might but that is only a handful. I’ve remembered why I don’t do this trip to Cardiff often....it is a long and tedious trip to Cardiff, over 3 hours on one train and a 175 at that, not a bad unit but not the greatest. That is another thing, I thought the 175/1 were 3 car units however 175110 is only formed of 2 cars? During the journey I planned my moves for the day with the gen I have resulting in new units and shacks starting 7 minutes after I arrive, however on arriving at Cardiff I have my sensible head on and decide to give the first move a miss for a PNB and to grab some lunch, I can pick up the same unit about 35 minutes after my arrival and only miss out one shack which I can grab either later today or tomorrow. On leaving Newport I see the first signs of the electrification scheme as the piles have started going in, maybe this is the time to clear my pacer trains in South Wales as it may be another couple of years before I get round here again.

On arriving at Cardiff I do have my sensible head on so after a PNB and a visit to Subway to get a sandwich for lunch I return to the station to start my trip, first on the agenda is a good 142006 to Llanishen. (which I thought was a required shack but turned out to be a dud....doh!!) Where I have a 15 minute wait for 142077, which I don’t just need for haulage but is also the last 142 I need for sighting and is also coupled to 143604. I remain on the 142 to my first proper ne shack of Bargoed where the train terminates and I just hop off the 142 onto the 143604 and within 4 minutes I am heading back along the line.

At Aber I bail from the train and proceed to the opposite platform as I am going to grab a couple more stations heading back towards Bargoed. Required unit 143625 arrives to take me onto my next new shack of Llanbradach where I leave the train but don’t say goodbye to it because I will pick it up again in a little while, here I have 15 minute for another required 142 in the form of 142083 which takes me as far as required shack of Hengoed.

At Hengoed I have a +6 wait for the returning 143625 which I remain on back into Cardiff. Back at Cardiff I have a +7 for my next service which is formed of required 142073 which is my last ATW 142 I need for haulage (just 7 Northern 142 unis to go!) which I take as far as Taffs Well.

At Taffs Well I have the shortest wait time of +3 so of course I am most nervous now that I was not delayed on 142073, thankfully I wasn’t and on arriving I crossed to the opposite platform and as I watched the train I had just got off disappear around the bend my train came around the same bend and approached the station with dud 142076 leading and required 143601 on the rear, which I have to say is looking rather drab and in need of a paint job. Down to two ATW 143 unit now, I’m doing splendidly today if I do say so myself. Back at Cardiff my gen fails me for the first time as my next train should have been one of the required 143 units, however when the train turned up it was a dud 150217, well at least when I get off the train it will be at a new shack.

At Llanharan, shack number six I disembark and cross to the opposite platform for an unknown unit and to my pleasure it is a required 158819 which kind of makes up for the dud 150. I’m now beginning to feel tired and consider calling it a day at 1630 and checking in, but no. It is not every day I am in Cardiff so I have to make use of the time while here. So I hang on for the 1636 to Treherbert for a trip out to new shack of Pontypridd on board required 143616....success!!

At Pontypridd I leave the train and cross to the opposite platform and have a short wait for my next train which I take as far as Taffs Well and is formed of a required 150252, at Taffs Well for the second time today I don’t have long to wait for another required unit in the guise of 150245 which takes me as far as Cardiff Queen Street where I leave the railway and go and check in at the ibis hotel only to find my room overlooks the railway. After settling in I head off out and walk to the spoons near to Cardiff Central station to grab some tea. I was going to watch some of Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark on my phone while having tea but there was too much background noise and just as I had my food put in front of me the scene with the tarantulas came on and nearly put me off my food so I turned the film off. After finishing tea I headed to Cardiff Central station for a train back to Cardiff Queen Street, couldn’t be bothered walking back and I am glad I didn’t as a required 150284 was waiting to take me the short hop to Cardiff Queen Street and there sat on the opposite platform was a required 150213 so I thought, go on then and jumped aboard for a ride to the new shack of Eastbrook where after a +8 a dud 150256 arrived to take me to Cardiff Queen Street to wrap up the day.

Tuesday 8th March 2016
This morning I wasn’t too sure how it was going to go, again I woke up before my alarm went off and got myself prepared to check out. I could have had breakfast at the hotel....for £8.50!! Instead I had got a tub of Porridge and a banana for £1.18 and had that in the room before departing. As I had said I had no idea how today was going to go as I had originally planned to walk to Cardiff Central but when I opened my curtains I decided to go to Queen Street instead as it was that very fine drizzle that soaks you through.

I arrived at Queen Street at 0800 and I made my way to platform 2 and see the first train was 0806, then platform 3 was 0805, getting closer so I thought I would remain on platform 3. Then I looked at platform 5 (Q: where is platform 4, have I been going around with my eyes closed?-ED)there was a train was a train due at 0800 but was running 3 minutes late, so I make a dash for platform 5 to see if it was required, and it was so I boarded 150253 to take me through to Merthyr Vale and with the train running 3 minutes late I would only have a minute or two to wait for the return trip. Unfortunately, we lost a few more minutes along the way and it was important I got the return train (all will become evident in a short while) so I decide to get off at the previous station.

At Quakers Yard, my first new shack for the day I disembark and have only a +7 for my return trip which turns out to be dud 143623.

I leave the train at Trefforest Estate, with its hourly service you have to time this right otherwise you could have a long wait. The next train was due in 4 minutes, but was running 4 minutes late on top of that. While on the station I noticed a lot of contractors standing around scratching their heads looking at a hole. It appears that they had put tarmac into it and it has fallen through and the hole has re-appeared, which reminds me of a story I heard when they built the Manchester arena over Manchester Victoria station. One evening they poured a concrete pile and thought they would leave it overnight to start to set and they could carry on working the following morning, however when they came back the following morning the pile had gone! They were puzzled beyond belief, how do you lose a concrete pile? So a little digging was done (sorry for the pun- ED) and it transpired that unknown to the planners that a few feet below were they had stopped digging for the pile was a top secret world war 2 railway control centre bunker with a corrugated tin roof and of course it could not the weight concrete. Anyhow back to today and when the train arrives it is a required 150259 to take me to the end of the line and a new shack.

On arriving at Merthyr Tydfil I leave the station for a brisk 25 minute walk back to Pentre-Bach for another new shack and with the time it took me to walk it hopefully a fresh unit. I even had time to get a coffee from a burger van, but no burger. The unit urged up on time and was a required 150260, I’m knocking these of my requirements quite easily this morning where I do a two top hop to the missed station from earlier Merthyr Vale for another new station. Just one to go on the Merthyr Tydfil branch now.

At Merthyr Vale I have a +21 for my next train. I have learnt to be patient this trip and my next stop will be no exception with a +25!!

My final station on the Merthyr Tydfil branch is Troed-y-Rhiw, where with a +25 I have a wander around the village in the drizzle. Back to the station for super dud by 150256 for a trip to Abercynon which now completes Al my stations between Cardiff Central and Merthyr Tydfil.

At Abercynon I had planned a +32, however on checking the board I notice there is a train towards Merthyr Tydfil in about 6 minutes and realise that the train I am waiting for is coming from Merthyr Tydfil so I checked the old fashioned way by the use of the station timetable (data connection here is not that clever for RTT- ED) and realise I can get the 1204 train as far as Merthyr Vale and have only about minutes to wait to pick up the planned train, now cold damp platform or warm train what do I pick? It probably doesn’t take a rocket scientist to guess I decided on the train and what result as it as a required 150267.

Back at Merthyr Vale, I think this is my third visit of the day – I’ve lost count and I transfer to the opposite platform for dud 150217 to take me back to Cardiff. I now think it is time to concentrate on unit bashing and if I get the odd station that will be a bonus. While pulling into Pontypridd I notice something exciting out of the window (no not Margot Robbie -ED) but 143602 my last remaining ATW 143 I need for haulage heading towards Treherbert so a quick scan of RTT and I figure out where to pick the unit up later on in the day.

Back at Cardiff Central I only have 10 minutes to wait for 150253 to arrive which is a requirement to new shack of Dinas Powys where with a quick hop across to the opposite platform there appears a dud 142082 to take me back towards Cardiff, but not quite as I bail out at Cogan for another scratch in my book and after a 15 minute wait dud 150217 took me finally back to Cardiff Central and after a short wait two turned up that I needed, one was the 1421 to Coryton while the second was the 1436 to Treherbert. So I got on the former which was 153327 for a one stop hop to Cardiff Queen Street where I then waited for the second train to turn up which was my last ATW 143 in the guise of 143602 to take me to Radyr when I crossed to the opposite platform for a 2 minute wait which turned out to be a required 150280 to take me back to Cardiff Queen Street, my next move was a unit I had spotted earlier in the day so I knew I only had about a 15 minute wait for required 150236 to arrive to take me to new shack of Lisvane & Thornhill, while waiting for this train I spotted another required unit heading in the other direction so more examination will be needed of RTT.

At Lisvane & Thornhill I leave the train and cross to the opposite platform for a 142077 to take me back to Llanishen were I pick up the aforementioned unit that I spotted at Cardiff Queen Street which means another 150 is knocked off my list and this one is 150279 to Caerphilly where I have a +7 for dud 150251 to take me back to Cardiff Central.

Back at Cardiff Central there is only 45 minutes until my train to head back up towards Manchester so I just hang around the station taking photos of trains and realising I could do with doing a major GWR HST trip before I is too late. My train arrives but I am only going as far as Shrewsbury on it as it is the 1716 to Holyhead being pulled by 67001.

At Shrewsbury there is a 35 minute wait for my train back to Manchester so I hang around watching all the comings and goings of ATW units. When train arrives it is dud 175109 that will take e back to Manchester. At Crewe we are held outside for some time and after consulting RTT it appears we have got caught up in the back log of trains following a fatality that looks like it might have occurred somewhere between Crewe and Runcorn resulting in us being 20 minutes late leaving Crewe. While n Crewe platform though I spotted 90018 dragging a 325 unit on the through road.

NEW LINES
Monday: Pengam to Bargoed.
Treforest to Pontypridd.

Tuesday: Pontypridd to Merthyr Tydfil.

NEW SHACKS
Monday: Aber, Bargoed, Eastbrook, Hengoed, Llanbradach, Llanharan, Pontypridd, Taffs Well.

Tuesday: Abercynon, Cogan, Dinas Powys, Lisvane & Thornhill, Merthyr Tydfil, Merthyr Vale, Pentre-Bach, Quakers Yard, Trefforest Estate, Troed-y-Rhiw.

NEW UNITS
Monday:142006, 142073, 142077, 142083, 143601, 143604, 143616, 143625, 150213, 150245, 150252, 150284, 158819, 175110.

Tuesday: 67001, 143602, 150236, 150253, 150259, 150260, 150267, 150279, 150280, 153327.

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Wouldn't have wanted to be on that 150 for the short hop to Glasgow Queen Street ;)

Sounded like a couple productive days on the valley lines, congrats on clearing the ATW Pacers :)

Kite159

Veteran Member
Although I'm jealous of your trip to South Wales, an area where I don't need that many units, but need a lot of shacks. Hopefully my trip on Easter Saturday will make a small dent into some of the valleys :)

Status
Not open for further replies.