Anglesey railway track clear-up brings Gaerwen-Amlwch reopening closer

Discussion in 'Infrastructure & Stations' started by jones_bangor, 20 Apr 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jones_bangor

jones_bangor Member

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Work - Fenny Stratford(MK) Home - Darlington
    yes great - I wonder what condition the track formation is in? I would suggest it will not be in great nick!

Has the NR/WAG feasibility study into the reopening of the line been completed?

4. PinzaC55

PinzaC55 Member

If the line hasn't been used for nearly 20 years I would think clearing leaves off the track is more of a publicity stunt than anything else.
    Tampers, Ballast Cleaners, new sleepers and S&T personnel would be more impressive.

5. Chris125

Chris125 Established Member

6. Xenophon PCDGS

Xenophon PCDGS Veteran Member

In the previous thread on this subject some time ago, was it not stated that there was a political input from a certain politician concerning rail expansion in Ynys Mon, but that the costings that were being looked at seemed to put this project on "the back burner".

I am sure that if this new thread is viewed by the contributors the the previous thread, an updating of the political situation affecting Ynys Mon could shed more financial light on this matter.

7. jones_bangor

jones_bangor Member

I don't think there's much change there - it's a shame this track was not properly mothballed with a weed train every spring / summer, reopening costs would have been much less I'm sure.

Maybe now that Wylfa B plans have gone "pop", with only the Russians' (Rosatom) as potential saviours, an infrastructure investment such as this might attract more interest?

8. Joseph_Locke

Joseph_Locke Established Member

Within earshot of trains passing the one and half
    £25m sounds like someone wouldn't pay for a detailed study; the 35% risk allowance confirms it.

That said, there are 30 odd bridges to assess!

9. Jonny

Jonny Established Member

If that's £25 million, how much the Leamside Line?

10. Chris125

Chris125 Established Member

Just seen a link to the full report from NR - click here

Chris

11. Xenophon PCDGS

Xenophon PCDGS Veteran Member

That report makes reference to GRIP 1 and to the proposal for a passenger service between Llangefni and Llandudno Junction which would give encouragement to a modal shift from car to rail between those two stations

12. Solaris

Solaris Member

13. DaveHarries

DaveHarries Established Member

A very interesting document. Just a couple of thoughts:

1. Anyone notice on pages 13 & 84 of the document that Rhosneigr station is named twice on that map?

2. Glad to see that the report, on page 16, states that attempts will be made to do the signalling work with a "minimal amount of changes to the existing signal box’s interlocking, lever frame, and associated signalling". Seems as if some mechanics will be lost but what they could do is to get some semaphore signals from elsewhere which would therefore allow some (if there are any) redundant levers in Gaerwen box to be put back into use. That would eliminate the need for any LEDs to be installed excluding, perhaps, one just before the crossing which might need a junction arm. Unless they use a double-bracket signal of the sort found at, for example, Par with signal PR5, shown here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/neil_harvey_railway_photos/6852563657/

I see that they go into this towards the end of the document though.

Dave

14. SIGGY56

SIGGY56 Member

They took the Amlwch line connection off the main line at Gaerwen due to the condition of the points. All signalling is still intact to and from the branch - the latest I heard that they want to relay the trailing crossover in the facing direction !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.