• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Anglia LHCS vice DMU again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dk1

Veteran Member
There were, yes. We assume to give a wheelchair space.

You do not get wheelchair passengers at Brundall Gardens. No proper disabled access on up side without doing a several mile detour, only a footbridge between platforms & the main entrance is not on a made up road.

Established Member
:roll: Hauled set not running tommorow (according to control)
It is shown as being out this morning (Thursday) - probably a good thing as even with that there are cancellations on Sudbury and Felixstowe branches due to no available DMU...

dk1

Veteran Member
It is shown as being out this morning (Thursday) - probably a good thing as even with that there are cancellations on Sudbury and Felixstowe branches due to no available DMU...

Unit had tech probs. TRI sent from Ipswich to effect repair. RR bus was hopefully stood down by 10.00.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
We seemed to have a spare unit at Norwich this afternoon, however a single 153 was used on the 15.36 Yarmouth. Train full with only a few standees.

Yew

Established Member
That looks nice :D I guess there are 2 47's in case of failure, or is the DVT not compatiable with the control system? (which in turn raises the question of why its there)

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The DVT is there as a brake vehicle. The Class 47s arn't compatible with the DVTs.

dk1

Veteran Member
The DVT is there as a brake vehicle. The Class 47s arn't compatible with the DVTs.

Two drivers also required as 47s have no remote fire alarm warning. You could shut the rear loco down each time but this takes up valuable time & runs the risk the darn thing will not start.

High Dyke

Established Member
Silly question, What does the dvt brake vehicle do? Do the mark 3s and loco not use their brakes?
In this modern strings and brown paper world we live in..? ;)

In reality it is a term back to the older days when the guard was responsible for applying train brakes. These days it is a generic term for a section of train that is not used for seating of passengers...a place where parcels / large luggage was conveyed during a journey; and a place where the guard had their compartment.

Southern Dvr

Silly question, What does the dvt brake vehicle do? Do the mark 3s and loco not use their brakes?

The Mark 3s & loco use their brakes obviously but the D.V.T provides extra brake force, it also saves Crown Point from having to re-marshall the stock.

johnnyp_360

In this modern strings and brown paper world we live in..? ;)

In reality it is a term back to the older days when the guard was responsible for applying train brakes. These days it is a generic term for a section of train that is not used for seating of passengers...a place where parcels / large luggage was conveyed during a journey; and a place where the guard had their compartment.

guards breaking? how interesting, i shall have to read more about it. thanks for that. :)

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It provides guard accommodation plus a hand brake for the set if the locos are removed for any reason.

william

Established Member
It provides guard accommodation plus a hand brake for the set if the locos are removed for any reason.

I was just going to ask the same thing, thanks. So why the two locomotives?

Trainfan344

Established Member
I see the DMU shortage is continuing, 153314 on 1940 ex Norwich today.

dk1

Veteran Member
I see the DMU shortage is continuing, 153314 on 1940 ex Norwich today.

Thats not all bad you know. It was attached to 306 til the 12.50 arrival from Yarmouth when it shouldve been detatched. GA control decided to leave them together as NCFC u18s are playing tonight with around 20,000 expected. This diagram then goes 12.58 Nrw-Lwt, 14.07 Lwt-Ips, 15.54 Ips-Lwt before ending up on the 17.50 Lwt-Nrw which will be rammed. This train appeared in local press last time City had an evening game due to severe overcrowding.

I worked this diagram a couple of weeks back with no footy & a single 153. The 14.07 was full&standing (FAS) from Wichkham Market, the 15.54 was FAS til Melton & the 17.50 was FAS throughout.

Established Member
Which I guess just goes to show that wherever you try to hide a single 153 you can't win. All the research done before a 153 was diagrammed to those workings indicated that it would just about be OK for passenger loadings. Root cause is having just 7 156s available to diagram this year.

Obviously when there's a home game at Carrow Road the 17.50 Lowestoft to Norwich has no chance. Good job the ground only holds 27,000 ish as there is minimal scope for strengthening with the current fleet.

dk1

Veteran Member
156418 developed a GSMR fault this morning. Unfortunatley it wasnt possible to scramble the 47s with no notice & so the 07.00 Nrw-Lwt & 07.52 return have been lost. A single 153 will work the 08.50 ex-Lwt with a supplement bus. Might see the LHCS out later at this rate.

TheEdge

Established Member
...to scramble the 47s with no notice...

Suddenly I feel that some outside seating is needed near the 47s with a telephone. One phone call from upstairs and like something out of the Battle of Britain a full crew can heroically run down the platform in slow motion to save the people of Yarmouth.

Or not.

dk1

Veteran Member
Suddenly I feel that some outside seating is needed near the 47s with a telephone. One phone call from upstairs and like something out of the Battle of Britain a full crew can heroically run down the platform in slow motion to save the people of Yarmouth.

Or not.

We will need a coffee machine & SKY tv :lol:

Trainfan344

Established Member
Can somone tell me if the 47's are running at all today or tomorrow?

dk1

Veteran Member
Can somone tell me if the 47's are running at all today or tomorrow?

Been sitting around all week as the unit situation has been very good. Quite unusual for it to kick-out at weekends but you never know. If anything appears on me work phone i'll let you know mate.

Trainfan344

Established Member
I Was planning on seeing it today, as apparently 15:50 is meant to be LHCS

dk1

Veteran Member
Was out & about this morning but situation improved & therefore was stood down for the afternoon.

Trainfan344

Established Member
You know what would be nice? Having the 47's be kicked out on the 08:50 ex Lowestoft.

Trainfan344

Established Member
Wasn't used this afternoon, but I did finally photograph it at the sidings at Norwich, also ended up using a 156, a 153 and a 170 today!

4SRKT

Established Member
I did the 10:36/11:17 today with 818/828, which was fun. Lovely weather and great clag. Got 3 class 90s as well, and am now riding home behind 91114 so about as good a day's loco haulage as you can imagine these days.

The two mk 3s in the 'rake' are both first class, and one of them has an enormous disabled access bog taking up loads of room. Thus this 5 vehicle cavalcade has a seating capacity something like a 153! Nice work lads!

Status
Not open for further replies.