• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Animals on seats

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASharpe

I don't even let my german shepherd on my chairs and sofa at home. I don't know why anyone would think it was ok on a train.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ash39

Established Member
I don't even let my german shepherd on my chairs and sofa at home. I don't know why anyone would think it was ok on a train.

Because some dog owners have a habit of assuming everyone else loves their dog as much as they do, when in fact a lot of people are uncomfortable around dogs.

CheesyChips

What advantage does a seat give a dog anyway? Unlike humans who fold neatly at the waist and knees, a dog will sit or lie in exactly the same position regardless of whether it is on the floor or the seat.

What's the difference between putting this magical allergy-preventing towel on the floor as opposed to the seat?

A dog needs a seat as much as it needs shoes, socks and an Oyster card.

Last edited:

xc170

I've taken my dog with me on trains quite a few times, she's a West Highland Terrier, so small enough to keep out of the way or pick up and carry if need be.

I usually take a fleece blanket type thing with me so if the train is empty I'll put it on the seat and let her sit next to me, she's cleaner than a lot of passengers! I've never seen her leave beer cans or Mcdonalds wrappers lying around like some adults, or scream, cry and smear food all over the seats like some kids.

cjp

Longest journey I ever did with my Jack Russell was Kings Cross to Inverness. Never on a seat.
Nipped off train when we had a few minutes to check out a lamp post for a wee a couple of times but a quiet well behaved house and car trained dog caused no problems on the way up or on the way day down.
I also made a point of speaking to fellow passengers (pre customer days) to see if they were concerned. No one was and no one moved or sat elsewhere and a couple of children happily stroked him but most of the time he dozed
But I agree no dogs on seats
and no shoes on seats.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Because some dog owners have a habit of assuming everyone else loves their dog as much as they do, when in fact a lot of people are uncomfortable around dogs.

I was thinking this, as my (four year old) son doesn't hate dogs but isn't comfortable around them.. especially when they're running free in parks or on public footpaths in the country.

Only a few weeks ago, two people were out with their dog (a puppy) that was all over the place. It was muddy, so when it jumped on me it covered my jacket in mud. Then my wife, and then my son - who was screaming so I had to try and pull it away.

YES, it was playing I have no doubt, but it wasn't funny.

The daughter said 'he's perfectly fine, he's just a puppy' and I said she should keep it under control, to which she shouted 'it's public land - he doesn't have to be kept on a lead'.

I have never been aware of the law, but it seems that there something about keeping dogs under control if they cause distress, which they most certainly did. But I had her mother saying she was too young to be trained yet, and at that point we let them through - for the dog to go up and cover two more people with muddy paw prints.

I am sure they are convinced they're doing nothing wrong, and I know when I've read threads about dogs (including picking up dog mess) on other forums it seems that dog owners all stick together. It's almost like drivers vs cyclists!

I have to say that I rarely take my son to certain parks where dogs are left to roam free, as he's had dogs jumping on him many times. And EVERY time it's just fine as he/she is 'just being friendly'.

motherwell334

This is one of my pet hates(pardon the pun) when checking tickets.. I ask them to take the Dog of the seat and if they refuse tell them I will change them under the AAA Rule,that normally get them off the seats

Antman

Established Member
I can't recall ever seeing a dog on a seat other than a small dog sitting on its owners lap.

People with feet on seats is far more common.

6Gman

Established Member
I can't recall ever seeing a dog on a seat other than a small dog sitting on its owners lap.

People with feet on seats is far more common.

A few weeks ago hippy-type guy got on our train, with dog.

Placed a blanket on seat. Dog jumped up.

Not sure which was the grubbiest - dog, blanket or owner!

:D

Seriously, just don't!

Hellfire

Speaking of dogs I've never understood why there's a blanket ban on them on the Manchester Metrolink... unless they're being taken to the animal hospital. Or they're guide dogs of course.

You can take them on buses and trains, so why not the trams?

I have no idea why this is either. I can't think of any other public transport where dogs are banned. They are allowed on London Underground for example. There was a petition started in Manchester a couple of years ago but it was ignored. What it does mean is that many people who want to travel to a park to take their dog for a walk cannot travel on Metrolink. You can't even do so to take your dog to the vet unless, and this is a particularly stupid rule, you are going to the PDSA. Madness
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Same applies to children

Antman

Established Member
I have no idea why this is either. I can't think of any other public transport where dogs are banned. They are allowed on London Underground for example. There was a petition started in Manchester a couple of years ago but it was ignored. What it does mean is that many people who want to travel to a park to take their dog for a walk cannot travel on Metrolink. You can't even do so to take your dog to the vet unless, and this is a particularly stupid rule, you are going to the PDSA. Madness
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Same applies to children

I think it's dogs going to the PDSA or RSPCA that are exempt from that rule on Metrolink although it has to be approved by customer services prior to travel? It does seem ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.