• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Annoying television adverts...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

johnnychips

Established Member
Agree with you Paul. Although any animal suffering is regrettable, I heard that animal charities in the UK got more bequests than things like the NSPCC. Unless this is an urban legend.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Oak Tree Mobility are currently running a TV advert that starts with a very elderly man in one of those chairs sold by organisations that cater for elderly people, with leg raising facility who looks like he is not long for this world, then suddenly from nowhere music most definitely not from his generation commences to play. The elderly man then not only gets out of that chair, but displays being at one with the music and shows great mobility in going from room to room, dancing to the played music. Are we expected to believe what we have seen or is the elderly man a fraud?

Agree with you Paul. Although any animal suffering is regrettable, I heard that animal charities in the UK got more bequests than things like the NSPCC. Unless this is an urban legend.
On the subject of charities that make claims that your two or three pounds a month will improve the life of young girls, ensuring they are given schooling with the aid of the charity in question, recent events in Afghanistan with the Taliban making sweeping land gains both in rural areas then in the cities, how valid are the claims made in that type of TV advert and will the supposed charity members working in these areas be subjected to the same type of Taliban punishments handed out to people such as interpreters who have worked with the coalition forces?

Last edited:

trainophile

Established Member
That advert for Revitive (whatever that is, darned expensive when I Googled it) where Eamonn Holmes tell his wife(?) who suggests a walk that he'd love to but "ooh my legs are eekin" (aching, presumably). We always have a groan as soon as that one starts, and cry in unison "ooh my legs".

Busaholic

Veteran Member
That advert for Revitive (whatever that is, darned expensive when I Googled it) where Eamonn Holmes tell his wife(?) who suggests a walk that he'd love to but "ooh my legs are eekin" (aching, presumably). We always have a groan as soon as that one starts, and cry in unison "ooh my legs".
As it happens, I've just seen an ad in a newspaper for this product, featuring Ruth Langsford mainly (Holmes's wife, God help her) claiming she bought one for her mother, coincidentally, before the company behind Revitive happened to ask them to front their advertising! Haven't seen the TV ad, but if his legs are still in this condition it doesn't sell the product to me.

I’m not really a fan of adverts on TV, neither as Google Ads online either.
When I come downstairs to the living room, it seems to be always adverts on TV.

Last edited:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Oak Tree Mobility are currently running a TV advert that starts with a very elderly man in one of those chairs sold by organisations that cater for elderly people, with leg raising facility who looks like he is not long for this world, then suddenly from nowhere music most definitely not from his generation commences to play. The elderly man then not only gets out of that chair, but displays being at one with the music and shows great mobility in going from room to room, dancing to the played music. Are we expected to believe what we have seen or is the elderly man a fraud?

On the subject of charities that make claims that your two or three pounds a month will improve the life of young girls, ensuring they are given schooling with the aid of the charity in question, recent events in Afghanistan with the Taliban making sweeping land gains both in rural areas then in the cities, how valid are the claims made in that type of TV advert and will the supposed charity members working in these areas be subjected to the same type of Taliban punishments handed out to people such as interpreters who have worked with the coalition forces?
Have you ever considered turning the bloody set off?! ;)

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Have you ever considered turning the bloody set off?! ;)
You might say that in response to every single posting that has been made upon this thread. I thought that the raison d'etre of this thread was to give opinions on annoying adverts, so if the TV was turned off, by all contributors to this thread, no such postings would have been made.

Another annoying type of TV advert is the type that feature machines that are supposed to improve muscular tone, especially when the American over-voice refers to "Abs and Obliques"

Last edited:

ScotRail158725

Established Member
The sumup advert ive seen about 10 times the past few days. Think its up there with worst TV adverts ever made

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Vinted (Online secondhand clothing sales platform)
Ads appear in just about every ad break and seem to suggest that there are no selling fees. Is that really the case? If so, how does the business make money?
So, anyhoo, how does this particular business model work?

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Has anyone noticed how television advertisements seem to be more frequent these days?

If you watch any ITV drama/programme that aired years ago, a typical hour long episode is 50 minutes, with two add breaks during the broadcast and a third one after the final credits (10 minutes total advertisement time).

Shows like Morse and A Touch of Frost were two hours in length, so they were 100 minutes long with a twenty minute advertisement period shown on ITV during the two hour period.

I recently watched the Martin Clunes drama 'Manhunt' on ITV and each episode only ran to about 40 minutes, with at least three ad breaks that padded out the hour.

British TV seems to have fallen in line with the States where a lot of the mainstream shows are regularly interrupted by advertising and hourly dramas only run to 40 minutes running time.

CJ

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Has anyone noticed how television advertisements seem to be more frequent these days?

If you watch any ITV drama/programme that aired years ago, a typical hour long episode is 50 minutes, with two add breaks during the broadcast and a third one after the final credits (10 minutes total advertisement time).

Shows like Morse and A Touch of Frost were two hours in length, so they were 100 minutes long with a twenty minute advertisement period shown on ITV during the two hour period.

I recently watched the Martin Clunes drama 'Manhunt' on ITV and each episode only ran to about 40 minutes, with at least three ad breaks that padded out the hour.

British TV seems to have fallen in line with the States where a lot of the mainstream shows are regularly interrupted by advertising and hourly dramas only run to 40 minutes running time.

CJ

Yes, there needs to be a return to the regulation of how long and frequent advertising breaks can be.

dgl

Established Member
Adverts for a lot of mobility products where you can pretty much guarantee that the company is a rip-off merchant (well any company that seems to be there to rip-off the elderly, i.e. Damarrt and Chums, who both have use premium rate number for their sales line), brought a brand-new dual motor rise-recline chair from a well known brand of care equipment (Drive Devilbliss) with next day delivery for £200 on eBay, would have been significantly more expensive from one of the advertisers of such chairs.

I would put shopping channels in the same bracket, one was trying to sell some electric heater by basically scare mongering people about their central-heating, i.e. saying that you may need to bleed the radiators but would you know how to do it and that if you turn the thermostat up you are making the whole house warmer unnecessarily and wasting money (so thermostatic radiator valves don't exist then?). Admittedly the only god thing about shopping channels is the fails that get uploaded to youtube!

Steddenm

Yes, there needs to be a return to the regulation of how long and frequent advertising breaks can be.
There is. Ofcom have guidelines on the length of ad breaks during a set time.
Thus: films of 45 minutes or less no breaks; between 46 and 89 minutes one break; between 90 and 109 minutes two breaks; between 110 and 135 minutes three breaks; between 136 and 180 minutes four breaks; between 181 and 225 minutes five breaks, etc. (a) In programmes of up to 20 minutes duration
See the attached PDF

Attachments

• rules.pdf
    135.3 KB · Views: 3

birchesgreen

Established Member
I notice Google are advertising their search quite a bit lately, i assume this is really a tax fiddle like the Sky magazine used to be.

Sprinter107

CJ
Its crazy the number of adverts. Ive timed some of the programmes I've been watching, with advert breaks of 5 minutes after just 8 minutes of programme. Sometimes the break seems so long you have to try and get back into the programme. It wouldnt be so bad if the adverts were decent, but most are a pile of junk. Daytime television doesn't seem to have advert breaks. They're charity breaks.

dakta

My current annoyance is those life insurance ads where they really lay it thick regarding the impact of someones death (one lately I've spotted making the actor semi translucent as if they're a ghost playing with their kids). Okay we get the message.

We live in a world where we have excellent access to information and communication has never been better, I really hope we don't eff all the benefits up through chasing a few sales. There's already channels I won't watch because the ad to program ratio is unbearable.

*opens one eye* It's already happening isn't it.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Its crazy the number of adverts. Ive timed some of the programmes I've been watching, with advert breaks of 5 minutes after just 8 minutes of programme. Sometimes the break seems so long you have to try and get back into the programme. It wouldnt be so bad if the adverts were decent, but most are a pile of junk. Daytime television doesn't seem to have advert breaks. They're charity breaks.

I seem to remember yonks ago that ITV programmes were often 'tailored' to cater for the ad breaks. The old half hour episodes of The Bill in the 1990s often had an anti-climax just before the titles for the end of part one, as did many other dramas. It often gave you time to stick the kettle on or use the loo and then prepare yourself for the second part.

Nowadays the ad break simply just appears unannounced just eight or nine minutes into a prime time drama and they don't wrap up the first part, or second part of the programme tightly like they did years ago. The recent Manhunt drama (with Martin Clunes) just seemed to end on insignificant scenes before the respective ad breaks.

Its almost like there is poor editing these days by the TV companies because they are bowing down to the advertising companies who pay them millions in revenue.

CJ

PeterY

Established Member
All adverts annoy me, the length of them, the frequency of them and the general content. So you can see why I have ad blocker, avoid commercial TV (except for football (free to view)) and I watch DVD's most of the time.

Master Cutler

The advert that amuses me most is the Parsley Box one where the old girl awaits a visit from her "gentleman friend" for a bit of sticky toffee pudding. All sounds a bit euphemistic to me.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
The advert that amuses me most is the Parsley Box one where the old girl awaits a visit from her "gentleman friend" for a bit of sticky toffee pudding. All sounds a bit euphemistic to me.
I've seen that advert before. What amuses me is the fact that you store those meals in a regular cupboard and not the fridge; it makes me wonder what on earth is in them in order to keep them er.. "fresh".

Big Tim

I haven’t seen that advert for some time, but I share your pain! I mentioned it in this thread (post 33) back in March