• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Annoying television adverts...

Geezertronic

Established Member
The recent Internet Matters adverts make me laugh, especially Mrs "Meet In A Rural Location" when her husband says that line - she does a "ffs" look :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Scotrail12

Anything with those awful meerkats!

Hated GoCompare back in the day - mercifully, I think those have stopped now.

Big Tim

Foxy Bingo / any Gambling ads tbh.

Just Eat with the inane rapping (I confess, I am an occasional customer of theirs, but that stems back to way back before these adverts hit the television).

ParsleyBox Ready Meals. Used to feature one with a bloke enthusing about "Lazzzzzaaaaagne", but now it's some elderly lady on heat going on about sticky toffee pudding. Also of a similar ilk is advertising for Wiltshire Farm Foods. ITV3 is a regular offender for screening these repeatedly.

At least "Can You Look Him In The Eye" appears to have cleared off from our screens.

Last edited:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Meerkats...

I don't like the Meerkat adverts though, not sure what they are actually selling these days, stuffed toys or cinema tickets?

Chiming in, as regards the meerkats: delightful creatures in real life, but I find the ads nauseating. Why Russian stuffed-toy meerkats, of all unlikely things?

'Compare the Market' is an insurance comparison website. Presumably the business behind all this receives a hefty introductory commission from whichever insurance company you end up with if you do use them.

Some ad agency must have then decided that 'Compare the Market' sounds vaguely like 'Compare the Meerkat' when the latter is spoken in a faux Russian accent.

Guessing that the cost of all the promotional toy meerkats must come out of the introductory commission fee that you are paying if you take an insurance policy out through the platform.

This ad doesn't particularly annoy me (unlike some) although I do think that is now a little past its "Best Before Date".

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Some ad agency must have then decided that 'Compare the Market' sounds vaguely like 'Compare the Meerkat' when the latter is spoken in a faux Russian accent.
They did. The first meerkat adverts all those years ago did exactly that specific joke... and they were OK when it was just that angle.

Bevan Price

Established Member
'Compare the Market' is an insurance comparison website. Presumably the business behind all this receives a hefty introductory commission from whichever insurance company you end up with if you do use them.

Guessing that the cost of all the promotional toy meerkats must come out of the introductory commission fee that you are paying if you take an insurance policy out through the platform.

This ad doesn't particularly annoy me (unlike some) although I do think that is now a little past its "Best Before Date".
They all started after a phase for showing meerkat behaviour on natural history programmes several years ago.

birchesgreen

Established Member
As someone who has worked in advertising and marketing for a couple of decades I kind of despise the Meerkat adverts professionally, its just so lazy trying to squeeze every drop out of a vaguely decent idea years ago. The actual thing they are supposed to be selling has been lost by adverts which seem to sell stuffed toys or cinema tickets or whatever else it is now. It no doubt still works sufficiently well for them but I think they are now trapped in their own creative cul-de-sac.

Calthrop

Established Member

Re my "emphasising" above; thanks: learning that there is a point / explanation -- no matter how laboured and silly -- causes me to loathe the whole ads with Russian meerkats, caper; a tiny bit less than I did hitherto ! The financial-ads boys would seem to have a rather regrettable "thing" about playing around with the word "market": as with the one involving the bull, irritation with which I expressed in my earlier post: a presumably-meant-to-sound-laid-back, long-drawn-out kind of mooing "Money Superma-a-a-a-arkets."

I've thought of another ad which majorly gets on my nerves: that ghastly Listerine one involving the donkey with the Scottish accent. Animals in their rightful place, are great; but I wish that they might be kept off the advertising scene !

BluePenguin

On Moderation
I can’t stand gambling adverts, especially at a time like this. The bingo ones are the most common.

Tombola is probably the worst. I can’t stand the talking insects and how over friendly they make their platform look with guitar chords and everything.

There is one on in the afternoon now for some kind of mattress topper. It lasts forever 2 or 3 minutes. And of course there are the prize puzzles where you have to spot 2 words in a grid and pay a fortune in phone fees to enter. They seem to last best part of 2 minutes as well.
This! It is on all the time. Myself and someone else mentioned the word grid advert in the scam calls discussion thread.

It is very annoying how the monotone voice speaks constantly without a breath for the whole duration of the advert, making it impossible for you to concentrate on finding the word in the grid!!

Flange Squeal

Established Member
I find the bloke in the last year or so’s ASDA adverts incredibly irritating. Especially the first one, with the repeated “pocket tap, pocket tap” followed by something I still have no idea what he’s saying! I’ve linked to it below for your viewing pleasure.... Below that though, by way of apology, I’ve also linked to the John Smith’s bitter ones with Peter Kay. Loved those!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I really loathe those ones wherew the adults are dubbed with childrens voices.

Fortunately I haven't seen them for a while.

lxfe_mxtterz

Any of those terrible Haribo adverts featuring adults with children voices! Horrifying!

Also despised those "look him/her in the eyes" COVID-19 adverts - found them really distasteful, cheap and a complete and utter guilt trip. Luckily (from my experience) they've been replaced by slightly more tolerable adverts about "helping stop the spread of COVID-19".

nlogax

Established Member
I find the bloke in the last year or so’s ASDA adverts incredibly irritating. Especially the first one, with the repeated “pocket tap, pocket tap” followed by something I still have no idea what he’s saying! I’ve linked to it below for your viewing pleasure....

Ads that try too hard to pander to the audience are just..crap. The cringe is real and this one is a top of the pile example though I had no problems understanding it.

birchesgreen

Established Member
I used to hate the ads where an elderly person would cheerfully tell their offspring that their funeral was all arranged and paid for. I used to think it was too weird and unrealistic... well until my mum cheerfully told me a couple of years ago that her funeral was all arranged and paid for. So in a few decades I will be doing that. :lol:

Calthrop

Established Member
Any of those terrible Haribo adverts featuring adults with children voices! Horrifying!

I was aware only of the one with the two policemen (I don't see a lot of telly). Don't tell me there's a whole range of them !

TheEdge

Established Member
There are a set I've not seen on TV yet but keep seeing in on All 4, some absolutely nightmarish animation with sentient cheeses for Mini Cheddars

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
********************************************************************************************************************
...... annoying are the adverts where we are expected to take any notice whatsoever of very young children talking with adult voices giving advice
to adult viewers. Even the mouth superimpositions are poorly done.

Last edited:

VauxhallandI

Established Member
"Can you go on mute Paula!" That one, if I was Paula I'd have told her to bog off.

Also all the adverts that have been covidised.

PeterY

Established Member
I try my hardest to avoid ads like the plaque. If I do see them, I've trained myself not to take any notice. I rarely watch TV and even less so commercial channels. I do have an ad blocker on my laptop, which stops ads on Youtube . If I'm in a friends house, the ads that grate me are charity ads with texts £2 here £3 there, and the post code lottery. I haven't had the misfortune to sit though a commercial break for a good 3 months :D :D :D

Bevan Price

Established Member
I try my hardest to avoid ads like the plaque. If I do see them, I've trained myself not to take any notice. I rarely watch TV and even less so commercial channels. I do have an ad blocker on my laptop, which stops ads on Youtube . If I'm in a friends house, the ads that grate me are charity ads with texts £2 here £3 there, and the post code lottery. I haven't had the misfortune to sit though a commercial break for a good 3 months :D :D :D
Yes - I hate charities telling me how much I should give.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Starting to get fed up with the numerous ads for mobile telecoms network provider EE fronted by American actor Kevin Bacon.

"Join EE or get network envy."

Yeah, right! :rolleyes: