• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Annoying television adverts...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
There is a rather strange Samsung TV advert featuring a group of young women in a place like Center Parcs suddenly reacting in a terrified way in scenes reminiscent from an old "B" movie attempting to escape from the site and like in the old movies, whilst driving away, the last scene sees one of the group in the car screaming uncontrollably, then it ends. What on earth was that storyline about?
Is this the one (see below)? Clearly there's a bunch of creative geniuses behind the ad; believe the premise is that it's meant to be promoting the return, for season 2, of a fictional TV series “Join The Flip Side” in which Samsung products are regularly showcased. Reckon, however, that the ad agency has very possibly "jumped the shark" with this particular concept, but it's quite likely that I'm possibly not in their target demographic.

route101

Established Member
I hate the whole idea of Air bnb, so you'd rather go to some random persons house rather than somewhere that you know has the correct insurance, will have some sort of recourse if things go wrong and in theory is up to scratch safety/cleanliness wise, plus they reduce the rental stock for people who live in an area. Personally I think they should be banned, though I do work for a caravan site so there is vested interest somewhat.
Our work has started using them for work trips when hotels are too expensive, a nightmare when you have to share your whole week with other colleagues.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Am I confused, but did I hear a TV advert at my son's home recently that had the snatches from the most irritating Redbone song "Come and Get Your Love". Whose advert was it?

My young grand-daughter also heard it and asked "What's the matter with Hey-Hey"

Whenever I think of that song title, it takes me back to the early 1950s when visiting my grandparents and at mid-day, hearing Gran calling "Come and get your dinner"

Last edited:

DannyMich2018

Am I confused, but did I hear a TV advert at my son's home recently that had the snatches from the most irritating Redbone song "Come and Get Your Love". Whose advert was it?
It's advertising Premier Inn.
Before that sometime last year Ebay used the same song for them.

Nelly n Kelly used on a mobile phone advert that goes on waaaay too long (forgot the brand now). Where some woman mutters "oh" in time with the soundalike note in the track.

Northumbriana

"Don't cha" flip phone adverts. Especially at the end when the ginger haired girl turns her back to the camera and dances away flanked by two other dancers and it just seems like an accidental comedy. Like something I'd expect to see on Miranda or some other sitcom where the main character tries to take up interprative dancing.

J-2739

Established Member
I'd agree with you on that - currently my 'least favourite advert'!
The lady who sung the song for that advert is currently under fire with accusations of SA, so I don't see it lasting any longer.
Could this be bordering upon a deliberate use of a racist genre purely to market a product?
Could you expand on that comment? Just curious.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
It's advertising Premier Inn.
For a company who runs Premier Inns to have an advert with the musical accompionment of "Come and Get Your Love", the mind boggles at the type of services they must be offering to the public.... :rolleyes:

Incidentally, try as hard as I can, I just cannot imagine someone saying "Come and Get Your Love" to another person...perhaps being 78 may have something to do with that.... :smile:

The lady who sung the song for that advert is currently under fire with accusations of SA, so I don't see it lasting any longer.

Could you expand on that comment? Just curious.
The deliberate usage of a particular ethnic stereotype which mocks.

Last edited:

daveo

"Trade Centre UK" Totally silent, so grabs your attention to make sure the telly hasn't turned off.

Last edited:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
The Prince George 10 sided sovereign advert saying they’re limited to 1 per household. Why on earth would you want more?!
Also available as a (16g) Double Sovereign, which, for some reason, seems to be somewhat more than twice the price of the standard sized (8g) version coin.

PGAT

Established Member
The Bird’s Eye ad where a witch comes out of nowhere and insults the dad’s cooking

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Not so long ago, we were treated by an advertising agency-produced TV advert of the sight of a Highland Cattle riding a motor bicycle and now another advert shows a mountain goat taking up the sport of windsurfing. What type of irresponsible establishment sells these products to those animals?

Herefordian

Not so long ago, we were treated by an advertising agency-produced TV advert of the sight of a Highland Cattle riding a motor bicycle and now another advert shows a mountain goat taking up the sport of windsurfing. What type of irresponsible establishment sells these products to those animals?

Virgin Media.

Welly

"Trade Centre UK" Totally silent, so garbs your attention to make sure the telly hasn't turned off.
I wouldn't notice since I always mute the TV during the ad breaks.

I love FreeVee streaming ( I'm watching Columbo at the moment) - they have a countdown timer on their ad breaks!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
For a company who runs Premier Inns to have an advert with the musical accompionment of "Come and Get Your Love", the mind boggles at the type of services they must be offering to the public.... :rolleyes:
Since the strains of that nonsensical song title still continue to permeate advertising on TV, I know of a similar titled ditty which actually brings a smile to me and it was set in an Asda store in the Phoenix Nights TV series.

It is "Come and get your black bin bags"... :smile:

CS2447

Are there any television adverts out there, which you find to be particularly annoying when watching live TV...

Some possible examples...

Purple Bricks (Online estate agents)
Seem to like to make out that they are something different. Only thing that they seem to do differently is charge a fee whether your property is sold or not.

Vinted (Online secondhand clothing sales platform)
Ads appear in just about every ad break and seem to suggest that there are no selling fees. Is that really the case? If so, how does the business make money?

Surf (Clothing cleaning liquid)
Ads fronted by some vacuous "celebrity" (Dani Dyer?) who repeatedly parrots "It's Perf with Surf". Who buys into this guff?

Any others out there? Appreciate there are ways and means of skipping TV ads on recorded programmes these days, or that you can more profitably use the time to go make a cuppa... :s
The New Dominos Pizza advert
An Ad Agency came up with this S**TE