• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Annual Season Ticket changeover with 1 month remaining

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwuk

When I (hopefully!) pass my driving test next week I'll have c. 1 month of validity remaining on a Basingstoke (BSK) to Fareham (FRM) season ticket. This is, from what I've read, not going to get me a refund of any value.

Would it be possible to exchange my ticket (even though there's only a month left!) for a, say, Ryde Esplanade (RYD) to Ryde St Johns Rd (RYR) ticket and thus get more than the month out of it (so I've got time to use up my SWT weekend free tickets and retain the Network Railcard-ish component for longer)?

I *think* it's possible having read the guide, but it doesn't explicitly say that it's permissible when the ticket would have no refund value, hence my uncertainty.

Thanks for your time!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
A changeoever would give you a Ryde season for the remaining period and a refund of the balance. The extension of validity is only used where the original season is a Duplicate, where a refund would not normally be given. The refund value of the season ticket (where a refund was being requested) is not relevant to this.

rwuk

So this would actually end up skirting round the refund rules and gaining me a refund then? How difficult is it going to be to persuade staff at the ticket office to do this?

(*grumble* *mutter*, I'd much prefer the extended validity!!) :|

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
....How difficult is it going to be to persuade staff at the ticket office to do this?....

You shouldn't need to persuade them at all, though it might not be wise to tell them that you are only doing this to get the refund.

Haywain

Veteran Member
The changeover season must have the same expiry date as the original. It is only where a refund cannot be granted (by virtue of the surrendered ticket being a duplicate) that an extended period of validity is given in lieu of a refund.

rwuk

The changeover season must have the same expiry date as the original. It is only where a refund cannot be granted (by virtue of the surrendered ticket being a duplicate) that an extended period of validity is given in lieu of a refund.

Just to clarify, by duplicate you're referring to a replacement for a lost/stolen season ticket; not a duplicate for one where the magnetic stripe failed?

It really is irritating that the validity can't be extended on a non-duplicate changeover! <(

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Just to clarify, by duplicate you're referring to a replacement for a lost/stolen season ticket; not a duplicate for one where the magnetic stripe failed?

It really is irritating that the validity can't be extended on a non-duplicate changeover! <(

A ticket that is re-issued because the previous one had a failed mag. stripe is a 'replacement', rather than a duplicate.

A duplicate is only issued if the ticket is lost/stolen or a duplicate suffers a mag. stripe failure (though this is technically still a replacement).

The only reason a duplicate is extended is because the railway doesn't want people to "lose" a season, get a duplicate, change the duplicate for a ticket of less value (than the original) and continue using the original.

Last edited:

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Why is having a refund rather than extended validity a problem? If it's important to keep the benefits of a Gold Card, surely you could just put the refund towards the cost of a new Ryde Gold Card after your current one expires?

Status
Not open for further replies.