• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Another Alex, this time in anywhere he feels!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Haven't had one yet, so I don't know! Gotta be better than a 319 through the centre of London though...

Maybe when on board, but they make a lovely noise departing St Pancras/Bat Hollow heading northbound with a busy load when stood on the other platform.

Mmm 319 tunnel noise

Alex 2901

Having now started to suffer from dizzy spells, which isn't a brilliant thing to have to deal with as a train spotter, the one I had on Monday being worst yet, never have I been so scared of a 220... but I will get round to doing bashes, this time with a mate, to make sure I don't have a similar incident somewhere mental! Next one should be Friday or Saturday though, so stay tuned...

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Sorry to hear that Alex. Hope you get it sorted, one of our daughters had them for a bit when she was about 15/16 but after a couple of years they stopped, we never really got to the bottom of it but as I say she's fine now.

Alex 2901

Thanks for all the well wishes, I think I know what may have caused it, so I now know what to do to prevent it in future...

Anyway, here's my trip from Monday:

Monday started off normally, mostly. Up at, wait, hang on, its half term... lie in! Out at 0925, for the 0939 303 to Bilston, which was a winner, 20508 (KP02 PUE) arriving at 0955. I went for the tram, which was late, and a dud, 28; to Grand Central, arriving at 10:34, missing the 10:30 to Coventry, but in time for the 10:50, a winning Pendolino, 390117 "Virgin Prince". At Coventry Station, I went for the 8/9 to Pool Meadow, but opted for the empty X30 instead, a Redditch Streetlite, 32213 (SO65 LRL) to Sky Blue Way, an error as I forgot the X30 doesn't actually stop at Pool Meadow! Dud 2159 provided a 9A back into position, my first NX vehicle of the week! At Pool Meadow, I'd seen freshly repainted 4836 (BX61 LND) on the 8E to Potters Green, so I caught that to Potters Green, with my last ex Walsall E400 being my 8 to return; 4881 (BX13 JVM).

Back at Pool Meadow, I went for food, and to do some spotting, with me getting bored and walking back for the 8... which had just left, so the 9A it was, this time, winner 2160 played ball back to the station, and I was quite cheerful, a first for me in Coventry! Alas, it didn't last...

On the destination board, I noticed that the 13:26 to Manchester was late, and that I'd have enough time to make it to the platform if I ran, which I did unfortunately... and skidded on a damp patch, bang, straight down, but back up again, now with a limp, meaning I'd need to find a seat on that Voyager... Please be a 221, for gods sake...

No, it was a 220, 220024, and there were a lot of people, and I mean more than usual, cancellations earlier on the service, meaning I was standing in the aisle trying to get through, when suddenly, it began...

My earphones started to go very faint, and I started to become extremely breathless, followed by my eyesight being blurred and riddled with dark specks, ok, this was becoming very scary, but 3 very kind medical students were able to clear a seat for me, so as I could get my head back in check, which had happened by Birmingham International, bit I was still breathing heavily, a side effect of still being quite scared of what had just happened...

The rest of the journey back to Wolverhampton passed uneventfully; but by Wolves, I felt that I needed to go home, so at the suggestion of a friend, I was told to meet them in the Mander Centre, which I did, for a bit, and then they got sidetracked, and started looking at stuff, and realised that they wouldn't be done till 6, it was 2:42 at this point! So it was me, myself and I, as usual...

So I staggered over to the 69 stop in the Bus Station, and lo & behold, 4535 was in, on the 15:00 back to New Invention, where I'd have to change for a 41 back home; which was 4327, a sauna, not ideal in my (then) current state! After a rest at my nans; I got a lift back home from my dad, thankfully!

Not the day I'd particularly intended to have, or wanted!

Alex 2901

Clearing, and learning....

Having recovered from what had happened, I'm definitely back and better than I was, I suspect stress hadn't helped me then!
Saturday had rolled around by now, so I decided to have a little bit of a lie in, so it was 08:40 before I left the house, plenty of time for the 09:15 326 to Bilston Bus Station, which was Cadet 2705, a nice one, arriving by 09:35, in time for the next tram, dud 22 through to West Bromwich Central, where I alighted to catch either the 16W or 46 to Hamstead. The 46 came in first, and was winner 1945, cleared to Hamstead Village. After a brief interlude at Hamstead, the 54 arrived, winner 762 this time, cleared to Perry Barr, with a sprint for the 907, winner 6797 "Ava-Mai".

Food was purchased, and I waited for a winner, found in the form of WA 4376, BV52 OAO, on the 6, being driven by a driver I know coincidentally! Cleared to Four Oaks Station, I got 323209, a dud, up to New Street, changing for an 87 to go the one stop into the City Centre, 4760 being cleared as a result of that move. I met a mate and did some spotting before getting 4778, a dud, up to Snow Hill Queensway, on the 16. A brief time later, I walked back down to Park Street, to meet another mate, and do a return trip on the X61, clearing 6840 "Matilda Rose".

By now, my phone was dying, so a positioning move came up, 221114+221118 to Birmingham International, charging my phone a bit, with 158837+158819 providing my traction back home to Wolverhampton, arriving at 17:44. 6769 "Alexa Lily" was my last vehicle of the day, getting me home for 18:10.

Productive day at least!

Alex 2901

It's beggars belief down there...

Saturday 1st April 2017

What am I doing up at this ungodly hour? It's a question I regularly ask myself when getting up for school, even though it is around 7 am by then! No, now, I'm stood at Willenhall, The Dale, and the current time is 04:58 am, waiting for the 05:08 529 to Wolverhampton.
So I now know my hometown is dead at that time, except for a fox going towards the bank! 6764 "Carol Ann" pulled in, on the 529 to town, and it was reasonably quiet, only around 6 people on, although not surprising given the 04:55 departure time from Walsall...

Anyway, time to go to the station, and I did, still dark, nothing open, and I'm slightly hungry, really should be packed food...
Dud Pendelino 390153 "Mission Accomplished" arrives on service 1B02, 05:45 Wolverhampton to London Euston, which would be on end to end, yay...

Arriving into Euston at 07:35:52, I realised I'd have a fairly tight connection window, 18 minutes from Euston P2 to St Pancras P11, so through security, which was literally non existent, and out towards Eversholt Street, maneuvering to avoid people, and a rather aggressive looking beggar...

Right, start jogging, I reckon I can do it in the 16 minutes I have now, and wait... that beggars running after me, screw jogging, start sprinting! Arriving with haste at Midland Road, I entered St Pancras, and got lost, but found my bearings quickly enough that I was able to get the 07:55 to Rainham (1F12), formed of winner 395005, arriving into Strood at 08:26, where winner 375304 was waiting for me, on the shuttle to Maidstone West, 08:34 departure (2T18). Arriving at Maidstone at 08:55, I went to find the High Street, arriving at 09:08, in time for my pick up to the South East Bus Festival, a former London, and Arriva Southern Counties DLA, 6250/X425 FGP, which is a brilliant bus, as good as 4783, but won't ever beat 4786, that was an absolutely superb motor...

A few hours of going round the festival, on an empty stomach, and a bad ankle, saw me going back into Maidstone, Routemaster RM545 operating the 333 Connection shuttle, with the 333 being operated by 4048, an Enviro200, Urgh...

At Chequers Bus Station, I went for the Gemini in front, 6123 on the 6A to Tunbridge Wells, with me bailing somewhere near Oakwood Park. Streetlite 4300 provided my 85 back into Maidstone, where food was had, and some spotting was done; before I headed back to the station, in time for my 14:03 back to Strood, which was...375304, really?! Urgh, not my luck here... still, it was near enough empty though...

At Strood, I went for my train back into St Pancras, which was... 395005 again?! Southeastern, you are complete (word edited out)! Arriving back into the capital at 15:09, I decided I'd rather walk than get the tube, so a nice walk and some spotting was done on my way back to Euston.
My train was loading a nice bit ahead of schedule, only for me to find out that, unlike in the week, 9S85 (a Pendelino in the week) is booked as a double Voyager, meaning my expected table seat, turned out to be facing the wrong way, without a window... so naturally, I took advantage of the fact the reservation thing was out, and got a seat with a window in the right direction, and a plug. 221102 & 221111 provided my traction back to Wolverhampton, another long jaunt up the WCML, but at least I had double winners for this one! At Wolverhampton, I decided to get the 529 straight home, as I was completely knackered by now! It was 17:37, and I'd been up since 11:10 the prior day... not a good idea, I can assure you! 6763 "Charlotte Roisin" pulled in my journey home, where I reached 13 hours after I set out!

Nice day out, down to just 1 county to explore, Tyne and Wear, and no, I'm not doing that anytime soon! I'm still knackered from that jaunt!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Wow that was a long day! Looks like it was thoroughly enjoyable though, and I'm rather jealous of your Southeastern travels as I need that 375!

Alex 2901

A day in the country...

8th April 2017
Ahh, the spring; a time for, well if you're me, regaining confidence and bashing stuff, and given my knackering day in Kent last weekend, I decided I'd rather stay in the Midlands this weekend, so it was over to Worcestershire for today's bash!

Up at 06:15, and out by 06:40, I made the 06:52 529 with far too little time to spare! 6764 (now becoming the chariot of choice if I go bashing, as it was my 529 last Saturday as well!) to Wolverhampton, in plenty of time for the 07:25 Virgin Pendo to Birmingham, which was winner 390136, yes, down to just 33 needed units for Virgin WC...

Arriving at 07:48, I somehow made a 7 minute connection between New St & the 144 ahead of mine, with First Midland Red 33402 (VX54 MTY) providing the traction, win 2. At Worcester,* Streetlite 47519 was our 38 to the Royal Hospital, with 67651 on the 36, taking us back to Foregate Street. Wins 3 & 4...
33404, the Midland Red liveried Trident, pulled in on the 144 up to Fernhill Heath, with 32066 (KP51 VZO) providing the 144A back. Wins 5 & 6...

Food was the next objective, and after a Maccies, 63364 on the 44 was bashed to Barnards Green, with Streetdeck 35157 being cleared for the return. Wins 7 & 8...
At Crowngate, it was decided we'd catch up with our other mate, who'd decided to go to Evesham on the X50, so 66696 was cleared on the 551, up to Red Hill Top, putting us in place to intercept his X50, clearing 66694 in the process. Wins 9 & 10...

By now, it was time to return, so 32066 was bashed again, this time to Bromsgrove, on the 144A, where we'd wait for the next 144, which was 67665, cleared back to Birmingham, where we went our separate ways. Win 11...

To Grand Central tram stop, and lo & behold... winning tram 19; cleared to Bilston Central. Win 12, and down to just 1 Midland Metro needed...
Up top at Bilston, and in time for the 17:20 25 back to Willenhall, dud 2028, although the whole batch of these is now dud. A jog through Willenhall, and I made the 17:46 41, a lesser travelled 4356, back up to my nans, where I stayed until I walked home.

12 Winners, and a brilliant day out, so I had a good day...

Alex 2901

Is the 144 any good? Been going to do it for years but for some reason I've never got around to it!

As far as Rubery, it's a limited stop 63 basically, but after then, it's a brilliant route, 50 down the A38 through the countryside! And if you get a B7TL or 33402, and some of the E300s; it's absolutely fantastic!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
As far as Rubery, it's a limited stop 63 basically, but after then, it's a brilliant route, 50 down the A38 through the countryside! And if you get a B7TL or 33402, and some of the E300s; it's absolutely fantastic!

Excellent, I simply must give it a go!

Alex 2901

Friday 21st April 2017

With Arriva having closed Wednesfield last night, I agreed to meet my mates, and bash like my life depended on it!

After waiting for a parcel, 2061 provided my 25 to Town, arriving at 12:15, followed by a lucky drop on DLA168, now living on as 4797, under Arriva Midlands, and a brilliant bus! That to Codsall, where NXWM 2122, a B7RLE Eclipse 2, branded up for the 5, turned up on the 5A back to Wolverhampton. Food was got, and a trip to Bilston on Banga YT51 EBA, on the 530. At this point, we decided to do the 223, a route I hadn't done since Midland days, circa 6 years ago...

223 = Many hills, which was awesome on 2297, a rapid MPD, which got us into Dudley on time, to make the 16:23 241 to Halesowen, mega dud 6122, arriving in Halesowen at 17:01. My mate caught his bus home from there, so I went for mine, Diamond 30815, a B7RLE Eclipse 1, on the long winded 4H back to Walsall, leaving at 17:22, arriving at 18:25, where I legged it for the 18:30 41, which was 4326, a mega dud, getting me home by 19:20.

Saturday 22nd April

6764 provided my 529 into Town, ready to meet with a mate at 10, who much go my surprise (he says sarcastically) was late... meaning a chance to do the 50 again came up, with mini Solo 20010 providing my bus to Wednesfield, where my mate was now in his way to town, meaning 4563 was bashed back into Town! A chance to clear the last closed top early DLA was not to be missed, so 2120 was bashed on the 5 to Bilbrook Rail Station, where we had a wait for 4783, ex DLA55, but it was worth it, as the thing absolutely flew down the country lanes around Bilbrook & Perton! If you didn't know, you'd never have guessed it spent 15 years stuck in London!

Time to do other stuff now, so to Bilston it was, this time the 545 would be the preferred method, with Solo Y295 PDN being our bus, and a really quick one at that! It was decided that we'd do the 223 again, and former Midland 2102, JJZ 5248, turned up on it, a nice throwback to where Wednesfield started from! Nice bus, views & weather! Arriving in Dudley, we went for 4201, a soon to be withdrawn Trident/ALX400, Y807 TOH, on the 120 towards Birmingham, with us bailing at Oldbury Interchange, for the 4H to West Bromwich, which was Diamond 30879, an ADL Enviro300, a weird sight in the West Midlands, where only 2 preside, both ex Yourbus; at Diamond Tividale...

Food was supposed to be got, but nowhere was open! In a town centre...
Anyway, a newer Trident pulled in on the 79, absolute beast 4548, still sounding as it did the day it was new, way back in 2004! Back to Wolverhampton, and second ex London DLA, this time 4797, ex DLA168, bashed to Compton Square, with both of us being slightly unnerved by the guy upstairs muttering about batteries, politics, and showing them...

Anyway... lunch was now grabbed from the chippy in the square, and eaten as we watched the world go by, waiting for 4783 to return so as I could get a photo of it on its last day, which I did. 2061 then provided our 10 back to Town, and some time killing done, in time for the last ever Arriva 57, which was recent addition to Wednesfield, 2209, SN03 LGC, giving me time to reminisce over the times when everything felt simpler, and how stuff must move on, even if I don't want it to...
And with that, my last Arriva Wednesfield bus, was coincidentally the last one I'd needed for bashing around 2 months ago, and so it ended...

RIP Arriva Wednesfield, 2012 to 2017

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sounds like a beast of a day, I love Tridents and I will miss them when they finish. Still a fair few left in Birmingham from what I can tell :)

Alex 2901

Two for now, the first was 27th May's, 2nd was the 3rd June's

A bit of B10BLE bashing...

Only reason this idea came to my head was a discussion with a mate about the odds of me purchasing a B10...
So, it was to Birmingham New St to book my tickets last night; £23 to & fro Preston, not bad going!

Up at 0515, out of the house by 05:50, for the 06:08 529 to Wolverhampton, and surprise surprise, it was 6764...
Into Wolverhampton at 06:21, and to the station where breakfast was purchased, and consumed while I waited for my train to roll in, 390107 on the 0637 to Preston, dud. At Preston, I caught 20790 on the 80, to the Bus Station, arriving at around 08:10, plenty of time for the 08:35 152 to Blackburn, which was winner 2759, and a quick one as well! At Blackburn, the first of my objectives appeared, 566, a recently refurbished B10BLE, for the 22 (Shadsworth/Blackburn to Clitheroe), and my god was it a beast! Maybe not as good as our old B10Ls, but capable of thrashing our B10Bs into the ground! Clitheroe beckoned within 45 minutes; and naturally, I missed my connecting M2, leaving me with a 29 minute wait, do I went for a walk. Result, I quite like Clitheroe.

The 10:38 M2 was... a B10BLE! Transdev you absolute legends! 1042 providing my bus to Burnley, arriving at 11:32, where I caught the 9 to Accrington, another B10BLE, 569, another good one!
At Accrington, I realised that my intention to catch the redEXPRESS into Manchester, then an X43 up to Burnley, and train back to Preston, may not be the best idea given the circumstances, so the redEXPRESS was bashed to Blackburn, being a winning Gemini, 3602.

At Blackburn, I thought about what to do with the time, but a B10 on the 1 caught my attention, so 1098 was bashed to Darwen, with a B7RLE Mk2, 1876, providing my 1 back to Blackburn. By this point, the weather became torrential, so rather hastily decided on catching the 152 back to Preston, which was winner 2757. Arriving back in Preston for just before 15:00, with 2 and a bit hours till my train, I went spotting at the Bus Station; and got bored within 25 minutes, so walked to the Rail Station, where I went and sat in the cafe for the rest of the time. Bored doesn't even begin to describe how I felt then...

Dud 390117 pulled in on the 17:18 back to Wolverhampton, arriving back on home turf at 18:32, with 6764 being my bus back to Willenhall.

Decent day bar the 2 hour wait...

Stranger in a strange land....

It was time for another long jaunt, this time down south....

Up at 04:17, dressed, washed, and out by 04:42, ready for the 05:08 529 into Wolverhampton, which was 6771 "Olivia Faith", arriving a bit late at 05:24. To the Rail Station, for the 05:45 Virgin service to London Euston, formed of 390130 "City of Edinburgh", a winner, arriving at the capital at 07:36, where I went for the Northern line; promptly getting lost, and ending up at Warren Street, with a Victoria line train back to Euston. Let's try that again, shall we? 57214 cleared on the Northern line to London Bridge, arriving at London Bridge at 08:06, with plenty of time for my train at 08:38. 465914 & 465221 provided my traction to Tunbridge Wells, arriving at 09:27.

I decided to focus on bus bashing, and the 2 (later to become 3) objectives I'd set myself, find a Dart, find a B7TL/ALX400 & find an ex Midlands DB250LF Lowlander...

3339, a Dart, was scored to High Brooms on the 281, with a Streetlite WF, 1659, providing my 281 back to Tunbridge Wells, did I ever say how much I hate Streetlites? At this point, 6423, a B7TL turned up on the 7 to Maidstone, so this was bashed as far as Tonbridge, with ex Midlands Lowlander 6257 providing my 7 back to Tunbridge Wells. This may so far count as the biggest fluke of luck I've ever had! I decided to spot for a bit, before getting 1503, a Solo SR on the 277 to Knights Way, with the same bus being my 277 back as well, whoops....

Back in Tunbridge, I still had 2 hours to kill, so Cadet 3522 was bashed on the 402 to Tonbridge, with Gemini 6136 being my 402 back, leaving me with 59 minutes to spare until my train, so I went for a walk around the Town itself, nice little* town. A trip to WH Smiths yielded a comic to read on the train back (Dr Who before anyone asks), and went to wait for my train, double winners 375927 & 375708 back to London Bridge, then to the Underground, my least favourite part of every trip to London... 51566 on the Northern line back to Euston, with 30 minutes to spare before my train at 17:23, which was winner 390, 390156 "Stockport 170", getting me into Wolverhampton at 19:11, with Diamond 20736, a Solo I will now refer to as "Sauna" getting me back home to Willenhall at 20:03 on the 28E.

* I say little... It took me 20 minutes to go round the town, so not really small!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sounds like a beast time up north, although I definitely would have found something better to do than fester at Preston for that long! It can't be any worse than festering at Watford Junction for nearly the same amount of time though!

Not sure why you don't like the Underground, surely a good reason?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
See I love the Underground. I live in a fairly rural area, so busy urban railways are awesome in my eyes. It can get confusing if you're not used to the Tube, but it is enormously good fun! Mind you, the U-Bahn in Vienna is far more confusing, although worth a spin. Best system I've been on apart from the Tube is Stockholm's Metro. Super efficient, clean, modern and frequent even on Sundays. Easy to work your way around and some beautiful art work on a few of the stations. I have them on Flickr, my username being 43002 on there, if you fancy a look.

Alex 2901

Saturday 19th July 2017
Escape to the South West pt.2...

For the past few weeks, I've been scraping cash together, both for my family holiday, and a trip to fairly unexplored territories for me, the South West it was then...

Saturday morning came round, and I was up by 04:15, with final preparations complete, including ensuring I had my coach tickets with me! A walk down to Willenhall would leave me with a 23 minute wait for the first 529, so I walked about 0.7 miles up the road, to Portobello, where I got the first 529 at 05:11, 6771 "Olivia Faith" into Wolverhampton, arriving at 05:20.
I met up with a mate, and caught the 05:40 Arriva Trains Wales service to New Street, which was 158824, a dud, arriving at 05:58. Breakfast was had, and it was time to go and wait for the Megabus, which arrived at 06:52, operated by B11R/Elite i 54273, arriving into Bristol at 09:12.

At Bristol, we jumped on board a 72 to go a few stops within the City, with B7L 66342 providing the 72, with a walk back to the 6 & 7 stop, where 32256; a branded B7TL ALX400 was waiting to leave on a 7 to Staple Hill. Arriving at Staple Hill about 40 minutes later, we crossed over for the 49 back to the City Centre, which was a 48/49 branded MMC, 33800, arriving back in Bristol around 11:06. We jumped on a B9TL, 37338, on a Cadbury Heath bound 43, alighting at Lawrence Hill, and visiting the open day at Lawrence Hill depot. After we did, we caught B7TL 37018, on the 45 back into the City Centre, and just missed a 1 to Cribbs Causeway; meaning we'd have to wait for the slightly longer 2, which was a 2 branded B9TL, 37328, getting us into Cribbs Causeway Bus Station by around 13:25. At Cribbs, we went for lunch, a KFC, and then for the 3, in order to score another B7TL ALX, with winner 32011, a beast, turning up for the 3 back to City Via Avonmouth, around a 1hr 5min journey, not factoring in the diversion due to a bike race...
Arriving back into Bristol at 15:32; it was time to go for the coach back to Birmingham, this time a Levante operated by SGBC, on behalf of Megabus. SG14 provided the haulage for the 3hr 20min trek back, via Gloucester and Cheltenham... numb was not the right word for how I felt when I was able to get off in Birmingham!

At Birmingham, I went for the 19:15 Virgin service back to Wolverhampton, which was 390020, on 9P95, arriving back into Wolverhampton at 19:35, in time for me to make the 19:40 529 back to Walsall, which was 6772 "Saira", getting me back for 19:55.

Longest day I've had for quite a while, and probably the last long distance trip I do until October/November...

Alex 2901

Right, I Should explain my absence. 1. Lack of cash. 2. It's cold. 3. I'm an idiot who forgot his password to his old account, so from now on, I'll be posting from this account...

30th September 2017

Across the Midlands by bus

I was up a bit later than I intended, So it was about 8:30 before I even got out of bed. Out for the 529 around 8:40, which was 6766 "Diane" arriving at 09:10 In Wolverhampton, in time for the 09:20 to Birmingham; which was 323216 arriving at 09:46. I went for the 09:50 Virgin service to London via Coventry, with me bailing at Coventry. Dud 390. At the Station, I went for the 1 to the city; wait, hang on, Brade Drive, oh that's the wrong one... Bailing off Central Buses 213 at Earlsdon, I jumped on 4765 on the 11U to the city centre, And I've got to say, I'm impressed by the new ticket machines, very quick init*...
At the city centre, I jumped on Stagecoach 10729 on the X18, fast to Leamington, where is just missed a 63 to Rugby, oops... so an opportunity was taken to bash the 665 to Southam, and swap to a 63 or 64 there, and despite Enviro200 36948 being my bus to Southam, I enjoyed the route, and Southam is quite a nice little village. My 63 arrived, And was to my annoyance, an E200, and a dud one at that, 36951, reaching Rugby, having just missed a 96 to Northampton, again oops... an hour was killed walking around, And the next 96 arrived, winning E200 36950, reaching Northampton around 15:30.

I had intended to do the following:
X4 to Milton Keynes
X7 to Leicester
48 to Coventry
Train back to Wolverhampton
However, realising that would take me at least an additional 7 hours, I changed my mind, and jumped on the next X7 to Leicester, which was Scania K230UB/E300 28633, which got me back to Leicester by 17:14, well within time for the final X6 back to Coventry at 17:50, this proving to be one of deCourceys newest vehicles, 581, a Volvo B8RLE/MCV eVolution 2, one of two recently delivered for the X6.

581 thundered down the M69, reaching Coventry by 19:12, only just in time for me to make the X1 at 19:15, which was 6854, "Olivia-Mae", reaching Birmingham by 20:25, and just in time for the 20:30 X51 back to Walsall, which was 6755 "Elysia", reaching Walsall at 20:57. The 529 was due to leave at 21:00, so a brief sprint ensued, and I made it, with 6770 "Jola" providing my bus back home.

A long run, but I was quite pleased to have managed it, And got my timings correct (for once!)
* Init is the name of the company making NXs new ticket machines

Saturday 4th November 2017

I had actually intended to do another crack of dawn trip today, but the fact that it was almost monsoonal kind of put me off walking to the town at 04:50 in a thunderstorm, you know; normal teenage behaviour! Anyway, so I had a lie in; and got the 529 at 10:04 to Wolverhampton, which was an Init equipped 6772 "Saira", arriving at the Bus Station at 10:20, plenty of time for a 10 to Telford, at 10:45, which turned out to be an E200, albeit a fast one, 2150, reaching Telford at 11:54, I'm just missing the X4 by 4mins, damn it.

I waited for the X5 at 12:35, which was winning Versa 3693, reaching Shrewsbury at 13:12, with plenty of time for my plan...

As anticipated, my bus pulled in at Shrewsbury, on time, which was Celtic Travel's BG61 SXX, a B7RLE branded for the X75, which I boarded on the X75 to Newtown, 1hr 25mins away..

The X75 probably wins the award for longest distance covered from the Midlands, heading out west, first to Welshpool then Newtown, Llanidloes and Rhayader, around 60 miles outside of England! I was only doing around half of the route, to Newtown, but still around 35 miles past the Country boundary...

Fun fact, my Welsh is completely abhorrent, so for the 1hr 25, I was writing down Welsh phrases in a bid to improve my Welsh, meaning I can now say Police in a Toilet (really not sure where that would come in handy, but you never know!)...

Arriving in Newtown at 1511, I decided to go and look at the town, which is quite a pleasant town, at least to a Wulfrunian!
Also, I recommend a chippy and a coffee shop in the town, a full portion of chips for only a quid, bargain, and a really nice Latte and Eclair for £3.50, and really nice serving staff!*

Anyway, I walked back to the Bus Station, and waited for the X75 back, at 16:25, which was also BG61 SXX.
The X75 finally reached Shrewsbury at 17:54, in time for its final departure of the night to Llanidloes, but not quite in time for the final X5 of the night at 17:35, meaning train back to Wolverhampton it was, with a beastly 158 performing the 18:33 back to Wolverhampton.

At this point, I knew that one of my favourite Tridents; 4140, was on the 19:15 529 from Wolverhampton, meaning that as I reached Wolverhampton Station, I sprinted through the car park to Middle Cross, then walked to Shakespeare Street, just making the 529 at 19:17.

Hell of a jaunt out, but I quite enjoyed the thrash through rural Shropshire and Wales!
* I forgot the names of these places, but they're on the main high street

Alex 2901

Saturday 10th Feb 2018

Every year I have a tradition to pass through London at least once, so I decided that this year, I'd try to get some stuff I wanted, while I was there, all while trying to save money...

NXWM Platinum 6766 "Diane" provided my 529 to Wolverhampton at 1007, getting me into Wolves around 1027, where I chose to head for Birmingham, on the 1037, a 170 from Shrewsbury, which was crowded as per usual.

Arriving for 1056, I fast walked to Moor Street, and bought my ticket to London, which was only £35.50, which included a travel card. At 1115, a very crowded 168214 turned up, as my chariot to London Marylebone, where I would arrive at 1310.

At Marylebone, I decided to get the bus from the station, served by Arriva's route 2 to West Norwood, and it's Volvo B5LH/Wright Gemini 3s, of which I had HV318 (LK17 AJO) to Victoria Apollo. I then decided to clear one of the electric BYD/Enviro200MMCs on the "Red Arrow" services, 507/521, which left me with SEe30 (LJ66 CGY) on the 507 to Waterloo, which was a pleasant journey, despite the very limited seating capacity of these.

My friend had noticed a 707 in, inside Waterloo Station, which was 707028 and another unidentified 707, working the 13:28 to Windsor & Eton Riverside, via Clapham Junction, which was cleared to Vauxhall, where we bailed as the 707s were full to capacity...
We then got to Vauxhall Bus Station, where, to my massive surprise, a 52 plate Gemini (WVL96) had turned up on the 87 to Aldwych, which was cleared to Charing Cross Tube Station, where we jumped onto an 11 bound for Liverpool Street, which was one of the horrible things that are called New Routemasters, LT504.

At Liverpool Street, a short walk around ensued, with us jumping on CT Plus 2511, an Enviro400 City, on route 388 to Stratford City; with us alighting at Shoreditch High Street, to jump on the Overground. 378154 was the first unit, taking us to Haggerston... before realising we were going the wrong way! 378215 came in next, taking us back towards Shoreditch, and Canada Water, where we alighted for the Jubilee line to Waterloo (didn't note down what unit it was), where we went outside to board another BYD/E200MMC, which was SEe46 (LJ66 CJF). At Victoria, we went for tea, in Burger King, only to be greeted by the sivht of billowing smoke. "Oh ****, Southern have caught fire" I thought, nope a steam train, The Clan (?) had turned up instead, so we went over to take a look, and then went for the bus back to Marylebone, on route 2. HV319 took us from Victoria Apollo to Marylebone Forecourt, in time for the 1810 Chiltern Silver service back to Solihull, which was 68009 "Titan", a very good thrash back to Solihull, where we alighted for the 37 back to Birmingham, which was 2206, an E200MMC. At Birmingham, food was gotten as it was now 9pm, and I was left to wait the next half hour for the last X51 of the night, at 2130, which was E400MMC 6755 "Elysia", making short work of the 12 mile run to Walsall, completing it in only 26 mins!

At Walsall, I jumped on the 2205 529 back to Willenhall, which was, sigh, 6766 again, getting me back at home by 2235...

A very fun day out, and a nice chance to do something I don't usually do...

Status
Not open for further replies.