• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Another Club 55 query

Status
Not open for further replies.

ian1944

Scotrail's Club 55 conditions include not using Mon-Fri any train leaving Haymarket or Waverley between 16.43 and 18.10 - does it make any difference if you're already on a train which contravenes this but was OK on joining? Specifically, I'd like to take the 15.50 from Glasgow Central which is through to North Berwick, but leaves the stations in question at 17.04 and 17.12 so I assume that I'm supposed to detrain at Haymarket and wait for 66 minutes, or of course get a faster train from Queen St.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John @ home

Established Member
It appears that the ScotRail Club 55 site is happy to sell a North Berwick - Glasgow (via Motherwell) Club 55 Return with an itinerary using the 1550 Glasgow Central - North Berwick 1748.

ian1944

Thanks, so the restriction does apply only if a journey starts at one of the named stations during the prohibited period (or ends at one of them before 9.30), with merely passing through being OK. Illogical, as the passenger is occupying valuable space in either case.

John @ home

Established Member
so the restriction does apply only if a journey starts at one of the named stations during the prohibited period (or ends at one of them before 9.30), with merely passing through being OK.
I would not have used those words. We know that the ScotRail Club 55 site is happy to sell a ticket with an itinerary for a journey which passes through two of the restricted stations at restricted times. We also know that the Club 55 terms and conditions state:
Monday to Friday you can travel on all services except:
  • Those arriving into Glasgow Queen Street, Glasgow Central, Edinburgh Waverley, Haymarket, Dundee or Aberdeen before 0930.
  • Those departing Glasgow Queen Street, Glasgow Central, Edinburgh Waverley or Haymarket between 1643 and 1810.
  • The 1815 Edinburgh Waverley to Glasgow Queen Street and 1815 Glasgow Queen Street to Edinburgh Waverley services.
http://www.scotrail.co.uk/content/club-55-terms-and-conditions.html
My opinion is that this apparent contradiction arises due to the way in which the specification for software writers for the journey planners uses the words to, from and via. The person writing the specification to implement the second bullet point above seems to have considered it sufficient to restrict services from the four stations and not to have restricted those via them.

If I were making this journey, I would print a copy of the itinerary and carry it with me on the journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.