• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Another Rail Blue Cancellation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I like how it says "all passengers will receive a phonecall today offering a refund or a change to an alternative train".

I was booked on the cancelled tour to Glasgow the other week, I didn't get a phonecall or an email. If it wasn't for me knowing people on it and being on WNXX I would never have known and would've probably gone all the way to Berkhamstead for it.

I received a letter in the post a week later apologising for the cancellation but by then it was a case of "too little too late". Since then I've sent an email enquiring about a refund and left a message on their answerphone when I rang them up last week. I've still to hear anything back from them, appalling customer service. I can safely say I won't be booking on another tour with them.

junglejames

Established Member
I like how it says "all passengers will receive a phonecall today offering a refund or a change to an alternative train".

I was booked on the cancelled tour to Glasgow the other week, I didn't get a phonecall or an email. If it wasn't for me knowing people on it and being on WNXX I would never have known and would've probably gone all the way to Berkhamstead for it.

I received a letter in the post a week later apologising for the cancellation but by then it was a case of "too little too late". Since then I've sent an email enquiring about a refund and left a message on their answerphone when I rang them up last week. I've still to hear anything back from them, appalling customer service. I can safely say I won't be booking on another tour with them.

Thats interesting. I always thought they had good customer service, but the other day i sent an email asking if there was any hint as to when the Glasgow tour would be rescheduled for. I have yet to receive a reply. Not even an acknowledgement. Quiote poor if you ask me.

Keep on at them and make sure you get that refund.

Masboroughlad

Established Member

This is all sad to hear. Hope they are not in decline.......

If they are, I would have hoped there was a company out there who would buy them out and save the day.

cj_1985

not sure if its related...
but i seem to recall reading over on the WNXX forum a few weeks ago that DRS are owed a fair bit of money from Cargo-D/Rail Blue Charters... as in thousands of pounds, so not exactly pocket change.

not even sure how genuine the post was... but the poster isnt exactly known to make B*ll sh*t posts...

fgwrich

Established Member
not sure if its related...
but i seem to recall reading over on the WNXX forum a few weeks ago that DRS are owed a fair bit of money from Cargo-D/Rail Blue Charters... as in thousands of pounds, so not exactly pocket change.

not even sure how genuine the post was... but the poster isnt exactly known to make B*ll sh*t posts...

After the rather sudden contract swap earlier this year from DRS to DB Schenker then if it is true, in a way it wouldnt supprise me...

The other thing im starting to find rather crazy and this is where the money issue could be part of it...Is that they have another Mk1 kitchen car*, sat in Eastleigh Works which for a while, i believe was undergoing work for a return to the mainline!

*(Cargo D had purchased the pair of Mk1 Kitchen cars from the Stobart Group, who despite running in the Stobart Pullman with DRS owned Mk3s, the Mk1 Kitchen cars where owned by The Stobart Group)

markjp

If only Rail Blue would put on their website notice that trips have been cancelled. They don't (well, ok they just started today) and I am not going to speculate why that is.

I asked for a refund for the Glasgow Mark Honey memorial as I have a lot of other excursions coming up and coupled with work I have no saturdays free for the rest of 2011.

I sent an email and after not hearing anything for three working days I resent it. Got a reply a week ago saying they would refund it but have heard nothing further.

If I compare the experience I have had had with this first booking with Rail Blue compared to my extensive bookings with other tour companies then it rates low. And people usually go with what they feel happy and safe with.

Mark

Last edited:

Interesting to hear that they at least responded to your email, even if it has gone quiet again. I was told they owed some operator a fair amount of money but who knows.

I'll keep at it and see if I get a response. Seeing as the tour was the Mark Honey Memorial tour, I plan to give some of my refund as a donation to a cancer charity.

junglejames

Established Member
Interesting times. Have they bitten off more than they can chew with their comprehensive tour schedule?
Is it Rail Blue, or Cargo D that are struggling, if any?

Im so glad i didnt book the glasgow tour, i would of been fuming if id booked accomodation in watford or nuneaton, simply not good enough i wouldnt go on one of there tours after the debacle with the kitchen car. heres hoping another operator uses 87002 soon as im gettin withdrawal symptoms.

the lack of electric traction on tours is ridiculous

markjp

There was last saturdays foray to Buxton that included not one but two class 92's. Plenty of spectators and a sold out train.

On the Rail Blue front - original request for refund sent on 11th, no response by 16th so chased again. Got reply same day saying refund would be done shortly. Nothing received to date (8 days later) so have chased again today.

I have to admit, its very dull having to chase so much.

sidmouth

Was thinking of booking a trip with them on 15th October to Shrewsbury - think I'll hold off for a while. When I've had trips cancelled by Steam Dreams I've always had an immediate and almost instantaneous refund. Reading this thread I would now nervous of booking with Blue Rail, given past debacles with other other (no longer with us) tour operators. Delays to refunds is always suspicious.

junglejames

Established Member
Delays to refunds is always suspicious.

When yopu here the stories about them owing money to other operators, then yes, it most definitely is suspicious.

The problem is, now this rumour has started, more and more people will stop booking with them, just in case they do go belly up. So any problem they may/ may not have, is just going to get worse.

Drimnagh Road

The problem - which I forseen a few years ago - is that Cargo-D quite simply have too much stock on their hands.

I predicted that when the spot hire business dried up (First Great Western, Hull Trains, Scotrail etc) they would hit trouble, all that stock lying about, plus with so many air-con stock it needs extra care when not running, as well as charges at Barrow Hill / Crewe.

Plus, because of air-con stock they are unattractive for enthusiasts railtours, something I also predicted would come back to haunt them.

They don't have the same high utilisation and thus turnover as the likes of Riviera and West Coast do, and also because them companies have their own yards so no layover costs.

I'm not sure what happens when somebody starts up a railway company, but would I be correct in saying that a huge amount of loans went into the extensive refurbishments of the stock? If so, I'm not sure the current level of activity would even recover the costs of the investment.

junglejames

Established Member
The problem - which I forseen a few years ago - is that Cargo-D quite simply have too much stock on their hands.

I predicted that when the spot hire business dried up (First Great Western, Hull Trains, Scotrail etc) they would hit trouble, all that stock lying about, plus with so many air-con stock it needs extra care when not running, as well as charges at Barrow Hill / Crewe.

Plus, because of air-con stock they are unattractive for enthusiasts railtours, something I also predicted would come back to haunt them.

They don't have the same high utilisation and thus turnover as the likes of Riviera and West Coast do, and also because them companies have their own yards so no layover costs.

I'm not sure what happens when somebody starts up a railway company, but would I be correct in saying that a huge amount of loans went into the extensive refurbishments of the stock? If so, I'm not sure the current level of activity would even recover the costs of the investment.

Pretty much spot on i'd say. The refurbs must have cost a fair bit.
Out of interest, how much stock have they got now? Is it just the handful of Mk2/3s and the Mk1 kitchen cars?
They got rid of a lot of Mk3s didnt they? Think its just a handful of 1st class Mk3s and standard class Mk2s now which they still have. Is there anything i am missing? I dont know if Cargo D have anything else not used for the railtours. I know very little about them.

sidmouth

Just noticed that Blue Rail Charters have now cancelled their 3rd September trip from the East Midlands Parkway to Kingwear. That's three cancellations on the trot with continuing problems with the kitchen car but now also "insufficient first class carriages". Not looking good.

Last edited:

cj_1985

Just noticed that Blue Rail Charters have now cancelled their 3rd September trip from the East Midlands Parkway to Kingwear. That's three cancellations on the trot with continuing problems with the kitchen car but now also "insufficient first class carriages". Not looking good.

i have to admit to being curious as to the nature of the problems with the kitchen car...

ie. is it to do with the cooking equitment... or problems with bogies, brakes, electrics...?

sidmouth

i have to admit to being curious as to the nature of the problems with the kitchen car...

ie. is it to do with the cooking equitment... or problems with bogies, brakes, electrics...?

It says electrics wrt kitchen car and now lack of stock wrt first class

Schnellzug

Established Member
I dare say a declining market is not helping their cause either.

is it a declining market, though? Other tour operators seem to be able to fill 12 or 13 coaches regularly. i'd have thought the quality of their rolling stock (if looked after properly) would be a selling point.

fgwrich

Established Member
Pretty much spot on i'd say. The refurbs must have cost a fair bit.
Out of interest, how much stock have they got now? Is it just the handful of Mk2/3s and the Mk1 kitchen cars?
They got rid of a lot of Mk3s didnt they? Think its just a handful of 1st class Mk3s and standard class Mk2s now which they still have. Is there anything i am missing? I dont know if Cargo D have anything else not used for the railtours. I know very little about them.

I think? / Pretty sure that all of Cargo D's Mk3s were snapped up by their one time partner, DB Regio...

junglejames

Established Member
I think? / Pretty sure that all of Cargo D's Mk3s were snapped up by their one time partner, DB Regio...

I think they have some Mk3s. But not as many as they used to have.
Certainly when I did the Watford to Edinburgh tour, it was made up of 1st class Mk3s, and standard class Mk2s.

Dreadnought

9th September tour from Morpeth to S&C / Cumbrian Coast line now cancelled due to the continuing issues with the kitchen car and 1st class coaches.

Next booked one is 17th September!

junglejames

Established Member
9th September tour from Morpeth to S&C / Cumbrian Coast line now cancelled due to the continuing issues with the kitchen car and 1st class coaches.

Next booked one is 17th September!

Something is definitely up. Kitchen car causing problems for about a month now. Their 1st class coaches running away. Im assuming there are problems with the coaches. No money to rectify the problems? No money to hire in extra coaches? On top of that, seems that a couple of people on here are struggling to get refunds.

Of course, this is all rumour, and they may be all fit and healthy really.
Right, that covers the legal side!!

cj_1985

Something is definitely up. Kitchen car causing problems for about a month now. Their 1st class coaches running away. Im assuming there are problems with the coaches. No money to rectify the problems? No money to hire in extra coaches? On top of that, seems that a couple of people on here are struggling to get refunds.

Of course, this is all rumour, and they may be all fit and healthy really.
Right, that covers the legal side!!

there was a very basic post over on the wnxx forum by Ingrid at RBC about this...

Ingrid (RBC) said:
All

I just would like to re-assure everybody that the decision to cancel Mark’s memorial train was due to a defect with 80042 which was completely outside of our control. I am sure you understand that we rather would have ran the train – especially for personal reasons.

As part of the cancellation, we emailed to everybody who had an email address and phoned to all the other passengers who did not. If people were not home, we left a message. Not sure if we could have done more or anything different.

Consecutively, we posted a letter to everybody saying that we still don’t have a firm date as we don’t have an indication yet when repairs will be finished as it’s more complex - several parties are involved - than people might think.

With regard to the refunds, we will write to everybody.
Hope this clarifies the situation.
Thanks
Ingrid

rather odd in my opinion... especially since so many folk have not reeieved either a letter, email, phone call (or even a Voice mail message) about the subject from RBC.
and thats on top of the folk who have been emailing and calling RBC for the past few weeks - that have not gotten any response.

i don't know the specifics of the RBC operation... but that post (to me) reeks of desperation, trying desperately to delay issuing refunds, and stave off the risk of bankruptcy.

i may be wrong.. and if i am... im sorry... but to me, it doesnt present the image of a company on a good financial footing:(

Established Member
We thought we had managed to get a 'refund' - but the refund cheque has bounced I am informed by our group leader.

Even if this is just a hitch and they do get back to running trains - is anyone going to have the confidence to book on them? Don't think I will touch them again.

Last edited:

cj_1985

yikes:o.. not something you ever want to hear happening these days.

another nail in the coffin it would seem...

Status
Not open for further replies.