• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Another railcard idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

derbion227

Another idiot here joining the ranks, so my situation is that I changed the expiry date on my railcard, it ran out a year ago and I have been using it on a semi-regular basis to travel on EMR. This morning I was caught by a ticket inspector and I immediately came clean and gave my details. He said that his camera was off and then asked me why I'd been doing it, I explained (not relevant here as the fact of the matter was, it's illegal let alone immoral). He thought for a while and decided to give me a PCN and advised I pay it ASAP, which I did almost immediately and then he said that it's unlikely it'll be investigated as it'd been paid. My question here is, I'm of course at fault, however I don't really understand the process here so am looking to understand if that's the end of it? Or if it'll still likely head towards a settlement and/or court, I would prefer a settlement for obvious reasons but also accept my wrongdoing. Any advice from the experts here would be appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

skyhigh

Established Member
If you were given a Penalty Fare and have paid it, then that is almost certainly the end of the matter.

RPI

Established Member
You got off lightly and rightly paid up ASAP, that will be the end of the matter :)

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
It may not entirely be the end of the matter.

If your ticket was a digital e-ticket (purchased via The Trainline, for example) then the operator may investigate any other ticket purchases you have made which have railcard discounts applied and ask to see a valid railcard for those journeys too.

So if your railcard expired a year ago, and you have made 1 or 2 journeys a month since then, and applied a discount which you were not entitled to, they may write to you about those previous journeys and seek to charge you / prosecute you for all those journeys too.

Whilst I am not sure whether EMR do this, I do know that other operators do this.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Another idiot here joining the ranks, so my situation is that I changed the expiry date on my railcard, it ran out a year ago and I have been using it on a semi-regular basis to travel on EMR. This morning I was caught by a ticket inspector and I immediately came clean and gave my details. He said that his camera was off and then asked me why I'd been doing it, I explained (not relevant here as the fact of the matter was, it's illegal let alone immoral). He thought for a while and decided to give me a PCN and advised I pay it ASAP, which I did almost immediately and then he said that it's unlikely it'll be investigated as it'd been paid. My question here is, I'm of course at fault, however I don't really understand the process here so am looking to understand if that's the end of it? Or if it'll still likely head towards a settlement and/or court, I would prefer a settlement for obvious reasons but also accept my wrongdoing. Any advice from the experts here would be appreciated.
I think we can safely say that you were treated with leniency and got off very lightly. Now please stop being an idiot and pay the correct fares from now on.

derbion227

I think we can safely say that you were treated with leniency and got off very lightly. Now please stop being an idiot and pay the correct fares from now on.
In anticipation of not being an idiot, I've pre-bought my next 5 tickets at the correct fare.

spag23

On Moderation
In anticipation of not being an idiot, I've pre-bought my next 5 tickets at the correct fare.
And bought a Railcard to discount them? A Railcard usually pays for itself after only a few journeys (and are one fifth the price of being caught without one).

scrapy

Established Member
It may not entirely be the end of the matter.

If your ticket was a digital e-ticket (purchased via The Trainline, for example) then the operator may investigate any other ticket purchases you have made which have railcard discounts applied and ask to see a valid railcard for those journeys too.

So if your railcard expired a year ago, and you have made 1 or 2 journeys a month since then, and applied a discount which you were not entitled to, they may write to you about those previous journeys and seek to charge you / prosecute you for all those journeys too.

Whilst I am not sure whether EMR do this, I do know that other operators do this.
Should that be the case I would advise the OP to seek advice on this forum before making any comment to the rail company if asked to do so. Whilst they can probably prove that these tickets were bought they are unlikely to be able to prove who used them, so would be effective relying on a confession from the OP if they were to proceed. I also don't believe they can retrospectively insist that a Railcard is produced by the OP.

What happened to the altered Railcard?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
And bought a Railcard to discount them? A Railcard usually pays for itself after only a few journeys (and are one fifth the price of being caught without one).

The OP might not have the option of another railcard if they have reached a certain age and live outside of the South East.

derbion227

Should that be the case I would advise the OP to seek advice on this forum before making any comment to the rail company if asked to do so. Whilst they can probably prove that these tickets were bought they are unlikely to be able to prove who used them, so would be effective relying on a confession from the OP if they were to proceed. I also don't believe they can retrospectively insist that a Railcard is produced by the OP.

What happened to the altered Railcard?
I would certainly seek advice here and legal should anything proceed.

He took a picture of it and I deleted it.

Are penalty fares / prosecution an either/or? If they give you one, they can’t the other? I presume they’d also be retractable.

island

Veteran Member
I would certainly seek advice here and legal should anything proceed.

He took a picture of it and I deleted it.

Are penalty fares / prosecution an either/or? If they give you one, they can’t the other? I presume they’d also be retractable.
A penalty fare can be cancelled and prosecution pursued, though not if an appeal has been decided (or made and not handled in 21 days).

A penalty fare cannot be issued retrospectively.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
While the penalty fare almost certainly won't be retracted you should be mindful he did take a picture of your fraudulent railcard and it is possible he submitted it to the digital fraud team. I would keep an eye on my inbox/mail for a few months on the off chance if I were you.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Agree with @AlterEgo, particularly as you say you changed the expiry date on the railcard, which is clearly fraudulent, so there may be more chance that they will investigate further.

Status
Not open for further replies.