• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Antonov An-225 - world’s largest aircraft - RIP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markk1990

Related transport news - sadly the AN-225 (largest aircraft in the world) has been confirmed destroyed during the conflict.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DanNCL

Established Member
Ukraine's official twitter page has said that Russian bombing has destroyed the world's largest aircraft, the Antonov An-225 Mriya. The post suggests that they plan to rebuild the aircraft.
Ukraine’s official Twitter account said:
The biggest plane in the world "Mriya" (The Dream) was destroyed by Russian occupants on an airfield near Kyiv. We will rebuild the plane. We will fulfill our dream of a strong, free, and democratic Ukraine.

Sad as it is to lose such a major piece of history (especially as the Buran shuttle it was built to transport was destroyed in Kazakhstan several years ago, so now neither part of the Mriya-Buran combination survives), much rather an empty aircraft was hit by bombs than more people.

Last edited:

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
Ukraine's official twitter page has said that Russian bombing has destroyed the world's largest aircraft, the Antonov An-225 Mriya. The post suggests that they plan to rebuild the aircraft.

Sad as it is to lose such a major piece of history (especially as the Buran shuttle it was built to transport was destroyed in Kazakhstan several years ago, so now neither part of the Mriya-Buran combination survives), much rather an empty aircraft was hit by bombs than more people.
Best to wait for some reliable corroboration. There was exactly such a report after the initial attack. It turned out that the destruction was of the second never completed but still stored An-225. Given its capabilities it would have made more sense for the Russians to capture the working example. We shall see...

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
Related transport news - sadly the AN-225 (largest aircraft in the world) has been confirmed destroyed during the conflict.
Given this was falsely reported on Thursday it might be better to wait for decent evidence of this. The confirmation you speak of seems to consist of either recycled press reports or propaganda.

DanNCL

Established Member
Best to wait for some reliable corroboration. There was exactly such a report after the initial attack. It turned out that the destruction was of the second never completed but still stored An-225. Given its capabilities it would have made more sense for the Russians to capture the working example. We shall see...
There's a photo circulating on twitter showing the hanger that houses the An-225 with a lot of bomb damage. I'd be amazed if it's survived.

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
There's a photo circulating on twitter showing the hanger that houses the An-225 with a lot of bomb damage. I'd be amazed if it's survived.
That is the hangar where the incomplete second aircraft was stored. The working aircraft was parked out on the airfield and apparently was undamaged during the initial attack.

Ediswan

Established Member

Markk1990

Given this was falsely reported on Thursday it might be better to wait for decent evidence of this. The confirmation you speak of seems to consist of either recycled press reports or propaganda.
Fair enough, I should have used the term ‘allegedly’. However, the Ukrainian president confirmed this in a press conference, so it’s as good evidence as we are getting.

Skymonster

Established Member
Various reports coming in that the world‘s largest aircraft has been destroyed during the Russian invasion of Ukraine…

Sources have revealed that the world’s largest cargo aircraft, Antonov’s An-225 Mriya, has been burned by a Russian air attack on Kiev’s Hostomel cargo airport.

Two Antonov employees told Ukrainian radio Radio Svoboda that Moscow’s attack had burned down the plane, which was parked at the Ukrainian manufacturer’s base.

The news, confirmed by the mayor of Bucha – a suburb of Kiev close to the airfield – was then reported by Ukrainian defence reporter Illia Ponomarenko.

Ediswan

Established Member
(The loss is already mentioned in two other threads, but this seems the best place to discuss the future.)

That does seem to be the case. However, both Turkey and China had previously expressed interest in completing the second airframe, so some people believe there is enough work for two of them. It/they could be back. I have seen $300M qouted for one, and also $3B.

Would there still be the twin tail ? That was to allow it to carry Buran. The US did something similar to the 747s that carried Space Shuttle orbiters. The closely-related AN-124 has a conventional tail.

Airline Man

Lots
Lots of reports now that it got destroyed including on the An-225 Facebook group.

At least I have a model of it!

Last edited:

dosxuk

Established Member
Photos and video of the remains are now doing the rounds on Twitter after being broadcast on Russian TV.

FM_U3-hWUAIouFX

FM_VB1jX0AAp8JQ

(from https://twitter.com/katlinegrey/status/1499651981094408195 )

militaryairman

Lots

Lots of reports now that it got destroyed including on the An-225 Facebook group.

At least I have a model of it!

Awesome model! I believe I have the same. So disappointing what happened with this wonderful aircraft. Here's my model of it:

Antonov AN-225 Mriya Model

I love seeing the thing, and what an amazing aircraft it was.

Cloud Strife

Established Member
One question here: was it ever confirmed *why* Ukraine left such an important asset in Ukraine? I know they were swapping the engines at the airport, but this seems insane that the aircraft was left in such a state that it couldn't immediately depart once Putin recognised the independence of the "LDPR"

william.martin

On Moderation
The aircraft is being re built by Britons, when it is completed it shall stay in a neutral country until Ukrainian is cleared of Putin's missiles then it shall return back to its homeland

Lost property

The aircraft is being re built by Britons, when it is completed it shall stay in a neutral country until Ukrainian is cleared of Putin's missiles then it shall return back to its homeland
Sorry, that's just pure rubbish. The remains of the aircraft are irreparable.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
It's the completion of the second, unfinished, airframe that is the subject of the drive to rebuild isn't it? Didn't know of any British involvement, though, and surely nothing is likely to start until the war is over?

There is certainly no way the damaged one could be safely restored even if money was no object.

DanNCL

Established Member
Sorry, that's just pure rubbish. The remains of the aircraft are irreparable.
It's the completion of the second, unfinished, airframe that is the subject of the drive to rebuild isn't it? Didn't know of any British involvement, though, and surely nothing is likely to start until the war is over?

There is certainly no way the damaged one could be safely restored even if money was no object.
There is a project underway to build a new AN225. As far as I’m aware there is no involvement from any government apart from Ukraine’s. If there’s any British involvement it’s in the form of individual British Citizens working on the project of their own accord rather than any sort of government involvement.

The original AN225 is damaged beyond repair, however some components, particularly at the rear of the airframe, are thought to be salvageable.

From the limited information I’ve been able to find, mostly from talking to people I know who are more clued up on this than I am, it’s believed that work has already began on completing the second unfinished AN225. It was undamaged, having not been at Hostomel but inside the Antonov plant at nearby Sviatoshin airfield. This will most likely be completed using some parts salvaged from the original, some parts donated from damaged or withdrawn AN124s, and some custom new build components. A price tag of $800 million USD has apparently been quoted for it, but I haven’t been able to find a source for it.

If/when the second airframe is completed, should that happen before the war is over the aircraft would have to remain at Sviatoshin, as Ukraine’s airspace remains closed to non-military aircraft and there wouldn’t be any other way to get it out of Ukraine.

One question here: was it ever confirmed *why* Ukraine left such an important asset in Ukraine? I know they were swapping the engines at the airport, but this seems insane that the aircraft was left in such a state that it couldn't immediately depart once Putin recognised the independence of the "LDPR"
It’s currently the subject of an investigation by Ukraine’s Security Service.

Ediswan

Established Member
If/when the second airframe is completed, should that happen before the war is over the aircraft would have to remain at Sviatoshin, as Ukraine’s airspace remains closed to non-military aircraft and there wouldn’t be any other way to get it out of Ukraine.
Ukraine closed their own airspace. I suspect they are free to grant exceptions. (Whether that would be prudent is a whole different question.)

dosxuk

Established Member
Ukraine closed their own airspace. I suspect they are free to grant exceptions. (Whether that would be prudent is a whole different question.)

Indeed a number of civilian aircraft have been evacuated from the country after the airspace restrictions were introduced - several by Wizz Air.

Cloud Strife

Established Member
It’s currently the subject of an investigation by Ukraine’s Security Service.

From what I understand, there's a strong suspicion that the Antonov management were in cahoots with Russia. It wouldn't be a huge surprise, given that Motor Sich are under similar suspicion.

It seems that there are some strong allegations made against the (former?) management, including not allowing Ukrainian defence forces to secure the airport properly before Russia reached the airport where Myria was.

Indeed a number of civilian aircraft have been evacuated from the country after the airspace restrictions were introduced - several by Wizz Air.

Several? I thought they only recovered the one plane that was in Lviv, while the others remain(ed?) in Kyiv.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
This is now official - the second airframe is to be completed:

A new Mriya will be built in Ukraine.

This was stated by the General Director of the State Enterprise "Antonov" Yevgeny Gavrilov.

"The work is being carried out in a secret place. The second An-225 will be provided with both new parts and parts of the damaged aircraft," he said.

1667912154465.png

DanNCL

Established Member
This is now official - the second airframe is to be completed:

View attachment 123475
It's at Sviatoshyn. Only place it can be as that's where it was before the war and there's no way of getting it out of there before it's airworthy.

I'm surprised the runway there is long enough, but it must be as they flew the original AN 225 out of there when it was built!

popeter45

It's at Sviatoshyn. Only place it can be as that's where it was before the war and there's no way of getting it out of there before it's airworthy.

I'm surprised the runway there is long enough, but it must be as they flew the original AN 225 out of there when it was built!
i belive the 225 had a quite short takeoff distance?, was designed for military useage after all

zwk500

Veteran Member
i belive the 225 had a quite short takeoff distance?, was designed for military useage after all
I imagine it was quite good if unloaded, but loaded with a Buran Shuttle it might have needed a bit longer.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
A separate report quoting the same source says the second An-225 is 30% complete.

However... that sounds to me like the state it was left in 20 or so years ago when construction was "paused" on it, meaning work probably hasn't actually re-started yet?

zwk500

Veteran Member
A separate report quoting the same source says the second An-225 is 30% complete.

However... that sounds to me like the state it was left in 20 or so years ago when construction was "paused" on it, meaning work probably hasn't actually re-started yet?
I suspect they're concerned about giving Russia a potential propaganda victory by destroying the 2nd airframe. It'll be hugely symbolic of Ukraine's resistance and spirit to complete the 2nd plane and get it flying around the world again. They won't want to hand that victory to their enemies for nothing. I wouldn't be surprised if the next update was a report of it's arrival at Krakow Airport.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I suspect they're concerned about giving Russia a potential propaganda victory by destroying the 2nd airframe. It'll be hugely symbolic of Ukraine's resistance and spirit to complete the 2nd plane and get it flying around the world again. They won't want to hand that victory to their enemies for nothing. I wouldn't be surprised if the next update was a report of it's arrival at Krakow Airport.
That makes me suspect they've moved the airframe somehow (dissasembled?), probably outside the country, before they started making a noise about it. If its location was well enough known to be quoted here, then the Russians could easily hit it with a missile to deny them the propaganda advantage.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
That makes me suspect they've moved the airframe somehow (dissasembled?), probably outside the country, before they started making a noise about it. If its location was well enough known to be quoted here, then the Russians could easily hit it with a missile to deny them the propaganda advantage.
I was wondering about that.

I'd also suspect it'll be further away than Poland or any other state the is geographically close to Russia just to avoid the risk of "accidents" with rogue missiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.