• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Any 387s have been transferred to Southern?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LudwigTails

So this is something I notice in the southern’s wiki page that I would like to check rather or not is it accurate.

The change was around after the class 313 have retired that I notice the southern’s wiki page’s current fleet section. Where apparently 4 class 387/2s have been transferred to southern from GX? Which are 387205, 387206, 387207 and 387208. And this is the wiki and information have a big chance for being incorrect. And yesterday I did saw 387206 on a GX service from Brighton to London Victoria and 387208 (I may be wrong on this one) on a Brighton to Eastbourne service.

Could somebody confirm rather or not are the 4 units have been transferred to southern or are they still being leased to southern from GX?

I have also tried looking the unit numbers and the 387 number on the search and I found nothing related to the information.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CR165022

Southern have been using GX 387s on their services for quite a while now (not specific units) its not an official transfer though as far as I'm aware, just being used if available

zwk500

Veteran Member
Could somebody confirm rather or not are the 4 units have been transferred to southern or are they still being leased to southern from GX?
Southern and Gatwick Express are brands of the same TOC, GTR. AIUI the units will be leased to GTR not to Southern or GatEx specifically so it's more a question of allocation than anything else.

Javelin_55

387s have regularly been used on Southern services since Covid when GX was suspended. Not specific units either so it is definitely a case of stock allocation.

D365

Veteran Member
Southern have been using GX 387s on their services for quite a while now (not specific units) its not an official transfer though as far as I'm aware, just being used if available
I think this comment is the best description of the situation. The preceding Class 442s were also used on ’Southern’ services but always as GX units.

PGAT

Established Member
387s can mostly run wherever 377s can. I’ve seen GX units run to Horsham via Dorking, Bognor Regis and East Grinstead before on Southern’s behalf

Sutton in Ant

So this is something I notice in the southern’s wiki page that I would like to check rather or not is it accurate.

The change was around after the class 313 have retired that I notice the southern’s wiki page’s current fleet section. Where apparently 4 class 387/2s have been transferred to southern from GX? Which are 387205, 387206, 387207 and 387208. And this is the wiki and information have a big chance for being incorrect. And yesterday I did saw 387206 on a GX service from Brighton to London Victoria and 387208 (I may be wrong on this one) on a Brighton to Eastbourne service.

I have also tried looking the unit numbers and the 387 number on the search and I found nothing related to the information.
https://www.delta-esourcing.com/del...nid=ED4AA4A5CB38596F97120B5F345FD0F2?noticeId. Great Northern has advertised for an extra 30 rolling stock which could mean that 379s goes to Great Northern and the 387s could go to Southern Railway and if that were to happen? Then, there will be more 387s on the Southern Network.

PGAT

Established Member
I hate it when I actually try and contribute stuff to Wikipedia it always gets reverted even if I have a source, but completely false stuff like this gets through the cracks!

https://www.delta-esourcing.com/del...nid=ED4AA4A5CB38596F97120B5F345FD0F2?noticeId. Great Northern has advertised for an extra 30 rolling stock which could mean that 379s goes to Great Northern and the 387s could go to Southern Railway and if that were to happen? Then, there will be more 387s on the Southern Network.
I believe we had this exact same discussion a year ago.

Last edited:

Sutton in Ant

I hate it when I actually try and contribute stuff to Wikipedia it always gets reverted even if I have a source, but completely false stuff like this gets through the cracks!

I believe we had this exact same discussion a year ago.
Yes, we did but the DFT wasn't very forthcoming but I hope that Great Northern can get their way on extra rolling stock. But there are other ways like 377/5s are leaving the southeastern railway and there are rumors that it may end up at Southern.

Yes, we did but the DFT wasn't very forthcoming but I hope that Great Northern can get their way on extra rolling stock. But there are other ways like 377/5s are leaving the southeastern railway and there are rumors that it may end up at Southern.
I put on the incorrect link but here is the correct 1.

Samzino

Offtopic I know but I forgot years ago C2C had 387s? I assume these ended up at Great Northern and then GWR?

Ah so they did end up at GWR on hire in full branding too:

WizCastro197

Established Member
That's the allocation for RMT strike days. Not used on other days.
Yes and on RMT days also run Victoria-Brighton.

And yesterday I did saw 387206 on a GX service from Brighton to London Victoria...
Isn't this normal to see 387s on a GatEx run!

Question: Are they only spare since GatEx only run 2tph to Brighton instead of the pre-covid 4tph with 2 terminating at Gatwick?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
How do you know if this is pure speculation?
What makes you think it isn't?

There has been speculation about 377/5s at Southern for a long while. However, there is also speculation about further concentration on core services, which would avoid the need to bring any more stock in.

Status
Not open for further replies.