• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Any chances of "new" stock in the Isle of Wight

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazthomas

Established Member
Now that new stock is replacing old on many parts of London Underground are there any plans to cascade to the Island Line to replace the 1938 stock?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ushawk

Established Member
Dont believe there are any plans, but once the 72 or 73 stock is eventually withdrawn, then it would be nice of some of those coaches were transferred.

Yew

Established Member
How is the 38 stock on the interior? It must be some of the oldest stock in regular service (I need to find an excuse to go down there before they decomission them)

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
As I understand it the 1938 stock is expected to remain in service until the end of the SWT franchise in 2017. Given that there are no plans to replace the 1972 or 1973 stocks anytime soon (certainly not before 2020) I'd expect the 38s to be around for sometime yet.

I've never travelled on them personally but as I understand it they have been refurbished and modernised to some extent. They are certainly the oldest trains remaining in daily use on NR metals though.

robertclark125

Established Member
Some 1972 stock is coming out of use. Some non ATO driving cars, used as centre vehicles, were used on the victoria line in the 1980s, and I think were still there as the 2009 stock came online.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
The rakes weren't split when the units went for scrap; the converted carriages were sent with the rest.

In any case, they need to wait for the 1973 stock to become available; there is the small matter of the lack of cab side doors in the 1967 / 1972 stock, whereas 1973 stock does have them.

tom1649

The rakes weren't split when the units went for scrap; the converted carriages were sent with the rest.

In any case, they need to wait for the 1973 stock to become available; there is the small matter of the lack of cab side doors in the 1967 / 1972 stock, whereas 1973 stock does have them.

Is there an actual requirement for cab side doors though? The 1972 stock on the Bakerloo Line travels on NR metals from Queen's Park to Harrow and Wealdstone without any problems. Maybe it's the old 'Grandfather rights' thing again.

The 1973 stock, however, does have a smoother ride quality and the doors seem to close nice and quietly, rather than crashing shut. They also have had an excellent refurbishment.

I'd strongly advise Island Line to avoid the 1992 stock should any of that become available! Just not built to last I'm afraid.

Established Member
The problem is that the 1973 Stock cars are of a longer design, which aren't as suitable for tight curves, such as in Ryde Tunnel. However, the 1972 Stock uses the shorter car length, so in my opinion would be more suitable for the Island.

valenta

Personally, I think it would be a real shame if the 1938 stock was to be replaced. Been on the railway a few times, and I think that they are lovely trains to ride on, full of character, and full of style.

Established Member
Nice to see the old 38 stock tidied up and kept a bit longer.

...would also be nice to see Newport & Ventnor lines fully reponened and even nicer to see the Ryde Tunnel extended to Portsmouth too. Aah I live in hope ;)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
According to the SWT live webchat Q&A in early 2010, the intention at that time was to use 'ex Piccadilly Line stock', which would become available between 2015 -17. The questioner had explicitly asked if they were going to get new trains added to an LU order.

A later questioner then suggested various possible problems with 73 stock and asked why 72 wasn't being used, they answered that the 73 stock would be suitably modified, specifically to enable use as two car sets...

IIRC the second webchat later in 2010 explained that delays to this stock's replacement by LU meant that the 38 stock will now have to run on at least until the new franchise starts.

Unfortunately neither webchat is available in archive form...

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I am not at all knowledgeable as to the railways of the Isle of Wight. I have read books (many years ago) on the steam railways that once ran there, when the system was much larger than the truncated system that exists today. I did last use rail on the island in 1959, so I am somewhat behind the times as regards matters :roll:

Can someone let me know why ex-London Underground stock was deemed the most suitable for the current system requiements. The carriages that were used in the days of steam did not seem to be as low in height as the current rolling stock...or am I mistaken in this?

Finally, will the line from Shanklin ever be reinstated to Ventnor and are there any other plans for other lines to reopen?

317 forever

Established Member
I wonder whether anyone ever gave any thought of using the short-lived 1983 stock on the Isle of Wight? The second batch were only in service in London for 10 years, which was less than even many Fleetlines!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Can someone let me know why ex-London Underground stock was deemed the most suitable for the current system requiements. The carriages that were used in the days of steam did not seem to be as low in height as the current rolling stock...or am I mistaken in this?
When the line closed in the 1960s after steam, the decision was taken to raise the trackbed within the tunnel to change the gradients and more importantly to reduce flooding.

wintonian

Established Member
Finally, will the line from Shanklin ever be reinstated to Ventnor and are there any other plans for other lines to reopen?

Probably not IMO although it does get mentioned from time to time.

I am not aware of their having been any other plans (maybe a few notes on a beer mat or two at some point) for other lines, but that doesn’t mean there haven’t been, but I doubt any would become reality.

hmp455

Island Line can also use the already 2-Car 1992 stock from the Waterloo and City which has been recently refurbished and is to be replaced with the 'Evo' train (which will also replace the 1972/73 Stock), thus reusing Class 482 (and also bringing them onto another part of the former Network SouthEast territory.)

Drsatan

Established Member
Probably not IMO although it does get mentioned from time to time.

I am not aware of their having been any other plans (maybe a few notes on a beer mat or two at some point) for other lines, but that doesn’t mean there haven’t been, but I doubt any would become reality.

BR's official excuse for closing the line from Shanklin to Ventnor was that the line was unprofitable but apparently, electrifying the line to Ventnor would have required an extra substation which the budget wouldn't have stretched to. Reopening the line to Ventnor would theoretically be possible, but apparently a water main now occupies part of the trackbed. The site of Ventnor station (which was badly sited, being some distance from the town centre) is now occupied by an industrial estate, so a new station would have to be sited elsewhere.

Ideally the line to Newport should be reopened, but that would be an undertaking too big for the Isle of Wight Steam Railway to handle. Although the trackbed from Wootton to Newport is largely in situ, the site of Newport station has long since disappeared as has the viaduct to the station.

Reopening Newport to Cowes (probably as a tramway due to the improved ease in finding suitable sites for stations) wouldn't be too difficult since the trackbed is now a cycle path but unless the Newport line was reopened, there would be little purpose in reopening the line.

When the line closed in the 1960s after steam, the decision was taken to raise the trackbed within the tunnel to change the gradients and more importantly to reduce flooding.

I believe when maintenance works were carried out to Ryde St Johns tunnel a couple of years ago, there was an opportunity to lower the trackbed which unfortunately wasn't used.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I believe when maintenance works were carried out to Ryde St Johns tunnel a couple of years ago, there was an opportunity to lower the trackbed which unfortunately wasn't used.

Wasn't it raised in the first place in order to solve a chronic flooding problem? That might be why they left it alone this time round?

Dstock7080

Established Member
Island Line can also use the already 2-Car 1992 stock from the Waterloo and City which has been recently refurbished and is to be replaced with the 'Evo' train (which will also replace the 1972/73 Stock), thus reusing Class 482 (and also bringing them onto another part of the former Network SouthEast territory.)
W&C '92 Stock are 2-car units but only have a cab at one end, so must be formed as 4-car minimum.
I believe the 'evo' would be a full length train, to replace 6/7/8 standard length cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.