• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Any ex bus drivers that passed the MMI???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaytrains

It would helpful to get an idea of the examples u used since my current job is bus driving

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Scef

It would helpful to get an idea of the examples u used since my current job is bus driving

You should have some great examples you can use. I referenced my years as a bus driver for all my MMI questions and a lot of the DMI ones too.

For safety u can use bus checks, vcr, reporting faults etc

Pressurised situation I used olympics coz buses were packed and always late coz they took all the bus lanes away. If you can think of any specific diversion or route closure then use that.

Emergency I used a female that fainted on my bus and another that had mental health issues who had a breakdown. In my DMI I spoke about seeing a boy get stabbed as well and what my actions were after that.

Customer service is easy coz u do it everyday, try and think of a time when u have been extra helpful tho. I used a young girl who was travelling by herself for the first time and the bridge closed so I had to terminate. She started crying coz didn’t know how to get home so I let her use my phone to call her mum who came and got her.

Can’t think of any of the other questions they asked in MMI. Just make sure you’re specific with ur answers and give as much detail about what u did as possible. You’ll have a chance to briefly write ur answer down and then they’ll get u to elaborate face to face so it’s not as scary as DMI coz ur just talking about ur experience. Just keep in mind that safety is the main thing they’re after. Good luck

Scef

Found this list which will be really helpful for you...some of these I was asked in MMI and some in DMI...

1 - Describe a time where you've had to follow rules and procedures
2 - Describe a time where you've been involved in an emergency / unexpected situation
3 - Describe a time you've been on a training course for over 2 weeks
4 - Describe your greatest achievement
5 - Describe a time where you've had to work for long periods of time alone
6 - Describe a time you've had to solve a difficult problem
7 - Give an example of a time you undertook a task similar to train driver's role
8 -Describe a time when you have worked to a very high standard whilst encountering difficulty
9- Give an example where you've had to work under pressure.
10 - Give an example where you've had to communicate an important message
11- Give an example where you've had to work as part of a team (to achieve a task)
12 - Give an example of when you provided high level of customer care and service
13 - Give an example of dealing with difficult and aggressive people
14 - Give an example of working with people from different backgrounds
15 - Give an example of a project you had to complete and the obstacles you had to overcome
16 - Describe a time when you had a disagreement with your manager and how it was resolved

Would be a good idea to have a couple answers prepared in case they don’t feel like the answer you have given covers what they’re looking for...main things being safety, customer service, communication...basically all the requirements of a train driver!!

Johncleesefan

I was a bus driver before a train driver too. As above I used mostly bus driving examples to answer the mmi interview.
The jobs are so closely related that your examples should be finely in tune with the questions.

Best of luck

Niek88

I'm a current bus driver who has recently gone though the recruitment process & been successful in securing myself a start date with a TOC. Bus and train driving is very much similar in regards to job characteristics. I breezed through the MMI thanks to my experiences on the buses over the years. I'm sure you will be ok. Just do your research, draw on your experiences and I'm you will be ok.

Twotwo

Thank you Scef for taking the time out to go into depth about the MMI and providing the questions asked! I know a lot of people, including myself, would find this very useful

Scef

Thank you Scef for taking the time out to go into depth about the MMI and providing the questions asked! I know a lot of people, including myself, would find this very useful

Very welcome, just keep in mind those questions I posted are a mix of what you will be asked at MMI and DMI.

Nevergiveup

Off topic but I am currently a bus driver and applied for traine train driver with few TOC’s but most rejected my application ( ARL, ATW) failed online SJT with SE although I mentioned all the safety related experience knowledge etc from buses when I applied with these TOC’s.. any ex bus drivers can suggest or advice me on better application for future?

Konik

Read carefully what they expect from candidate and try to answer with short examples to all qualities they look for. CPC might come to help with defensive driving, health and safety at garage and around bus, customer service on board, decision making during unexpected events like diversion etc, rules and regulations concerning walk around check, team work (communication with dispatch, police, inspectors), working on your own, dealing with long hours on your own in a cab.

Scef

Off topic but I am currently a bus driver and applied for traine train driver with few TOC’s but most rejected my application ( ARL, ATW) failed online SJT with SE although I mentioned all the safety related experience knowledge etc from buses when I applied with these TOC’s.. any ex bus drivers can suggest or advice me on better application for future?

With the SJT you need to make sure your focus is on safety, so if the 4 answers make sure you pick the one that would be safest 1st, there are some that try to trick you. Like I remember there was 1 that said about being off sick, company policy was that you take up to 2 months for your injury but after 1 month your doctor cleared you for work. The responses were along the lines of, call work and go straight back, take a few days and then go back, take a couple weeks and then go back or take the full 2 months coz it’s company policy. The company policy but threw me but really thinking about it, the questions states you can take up to, not you HAVE to take 2 months so I placed them in the order I wrote above.

They also want to know that no matter what you will always be honest so questions asking about making mistakes make sure you choose the one that says u will admit to it straight away.

It can be confusing coz they use different situations like bein a hairdresser or talking to family but u have to try and put every scenario in a train driver context, so when they ask if u would lie to ur family say no because they’re really asking if u would lie in general to keep from getting in trouble. Again, safety is the main concern, customer service is next, so politeness and tryna keep ppl happy and then honesty.

When giving examples of your experience on the application questions use the same technique, safety first, customer service and try to reference how your experience can be transferred to the train driver role so every answer keep in mind what they expect from their train drivers.

Konik gives some really good examples of what you can reference, really take your time with the application and if possible get someone else to read over or even google how to fill out an application, ask in here too.

Didn’t realise I’d written such an essay lol hope it helps tho, good luck with future applications

Nevergiveup

Thanks a lot for all the information, I did really rush most of the applications even tho I included safety customer service etc but it wasn’t really in depth, was just short half arsed sentences lol..

The SJT i failed was bit diff to the one I passed with GA, SWR sjt had 4 options and you have to select most likely and least likely from each..

Also the tip I got from AWT for future applications was to use STAR and also tell them why I want the job and what would make me a better candidate over others but they did not ask that in application question so I didn’t mention all that as that’s more of a interview question imo.

Hopefully ARL Willesden recruit again soon, that would be the best opportunity for me as their depot is so close to me, gutted that I didn’t get past sift with them

Status
Not open for further replies.