• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Any tips for relocating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Driverb

Hey! I will be relocating to reading in march and just wondering if anyone could share their experiences or has any tips on where are decent places to live.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheEdge

Established Member
Hey! I will be relocating to reading in march and just wondering if anyone could share their experiences or has any tips on where are decent places to live.

New Zealand is nice. Lots of places are nice. The Southern Cape is beautiful but if you are becoming a shunter in Sheffield then its not helpful.

More details needed! ;)

Established Member
New Zealand is nice. Lots of places are nice. The Southern Cape is beautiful but if you are becoming a shunter in Sheffield then its not helpful.

More details needed! ;)

In fairness the OP did say he was relocating to Reading ;)

387star

On Moderation
Anyone know of cheaper pockets/areas in the cambridge area or is it all really pricey

Driverb

I've heard New Zealand is nice.... But I will be working For FGW so need to be close to the depot which is Reading. I have a young family so somewhere fairly decent with a reasonable rent would be ok. And yes I've heard Slough is just a no go.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I've heard New Zealand is nice.... But I will be working For FGW so need to be close to the depot which is Reading. I have a young family so somewhere fairly decent with a reasonable rent would be ok. And yes I've heard Slough is just a no go.

I wouldn't call it a no-go, but it isn't a very nice place overall.

Neil

KT530

Depends how close to work you want to be

Woodley, Lower Earley & Winnersh aren't bad, all within a 15/25 mins drive of Reading Station. Parts of Caversham aren't bad either

Go a bit further out and you've got Theale, Thatcham etc which are on the line of FGW routes - ideal whilst you are doing training hours

Twyford isn't bad, but generally the further towards London you go the grimmer it gets

uberslacker

To be fair Cambridge and surrounding area is pricey... prestigious uni and London commuters. Avoid Arbury/King's Hedges/Orchard Park/Cottenham. Newmarket, Burwell, Swaffham Prior have some pleasant places

VauxhallandI

Established Member
To be honest I don't know round there all that well (Slough aside), though I've heard reasonable things about Maidenhead.

Neil

Maidenhead is one f the most expensive places to buy property in the uk. As a town I find it over rated though.

I can recommend Marlow

EM2

Established Member
I lived in Slough for a few years in the 90s and it wasn't bad at all. Went back for a look around last summer, and if anything, it seemed that it had improved.

Status
Not open for further replies.