• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Any updates on the T&W Metro Refurbs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Person A

Last I looked the colour was a kind of dark grey.
May have changed since.
First ones due back about now.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
but I was told that there were some tresspassers spotted at the depot the other day (which is manned 24 hours a day, not exactly bright these people).

The first thing they do when caught is scream about their "rights" and get violent, and assume Metro staff can't do anything (sadly, they're right, these sick p.c. days)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
From what I have heard it is not going to be the same as the buses. Not sure why people are making that link. As for the interior, white will not last too long.

Last edited:

Paul_10

From what I have heard it is not going to be the same as the buses. Not sure why people are making that link. As for the interior, white will not last too long.

Just going by what I read, the post was written in March this year and apparently the info came from the Arriva FB page as someone asked if the metro's are going to recieve the Arriva livery with of course the connections between Arriva and DB Regio.

It does however look like the livery will be some kind of grey and not white as perhaps first planned which is a good thing as dirt streaks will just appear noticetably on white and is very hard to get off. Regarding the interiors, I suppose if they keep on top of it then an white interior will have its uses which includes of course making the interiors more bright for one but you do wonder what the state of the interiors will be if we get persistant snowfall and with stations needed gritted we could have problems like last year with the flooring in particular.

markydh

On another forum, it was suggested by somone who has visited Wabtec very recently that the livery is a combination of black and yellow. This would make sense, given the Metro logo is Black and yellow.

Established Member
Don't understand the connection between the new livery and Arriva. As far as I am aware the new livery was created before DB took over Arriva. I'm also sure that someone asked Nexus if the Metrocars were going to be painted red when DB took over and the answer was no.

I've heard that the doors will be kept yellow, and that the new livery will be a mix of black and another colour - on the Skyscraper forum it has been suggested that the interior is white, although the outside might be a colour similar to white apparently.

Person A

Just going by what I read, the post was written in March this year and apparently the info came from the Arriva FB page as someone asked if the metro's are going to recieve the Arriva livery with of course the connections between Arriva and DB Regio. .

Thing is, colours are always changing. What I saw then may be different NOW

Last edited:

Paul_10

News to me, and I WORK on the Metro
Its dark grey and yellow

It just what I read from the forum but of course you can't take anything as definate. Maybe my post was a bit badly typed out but someone asked on the Arriva NE facebook page if the livery of the refurbished trains will be in the Arriva livery and they replied that the trains are recieving a grey livery like the Nexus buses but with the red being replaced by the yellow. Heres the post.

"The Arriva North East Facebook page. Someone started a discussion about whether any Metrocars would be repainted into Arriva livery (considering the fact Arriva are due to take control of all DB Passenger Rail interests in the UK sometime this year) and the Bod (who runs the site) said that they would be recieving the Nexus livery the same as the Solos but with Yellow tops instead of red."

Going by Person A's post, it does suggest it will be similar, I'm not sure what they mean by "yellow tops" though. I assume, they mean the doors perhaps?

Established Member
Whoever wrote that is talking rubbish. DB Regio continues to operate the Metro and Arriva was never in the frame for taking over any of the other railway concessions operated by DB in the UK. AFAIU Arriva would be run in the same way as DB Regio (i.e. at an arms length from Germany), but DB Regio would not be run by Arriva.

As for the yellow tops, apparently that is also incorrect. According to the Skyscrapercity website the colour isn't grey but something similar.

Established Member
Some sort of trade name or obscure colour. Can't really find out anything about it.

HST Power

Established Member
I don't get the point of the newly installed electric screens that tell you the next stop.

Because...

1) Metro trains stop everywhere on their route.
2) To see the route the train is taking, you just have to look at the electronic station boards.
3) The trains have their final stops written on the front carriage anyway.
4) There are easy to understand route maps at each station, and in backing of point one, once you know where your train is terminating, you know where it will stop because Metro trains stop everywhere.

cdonnigan

I don't get the point of the newly installed electric screens that tell you the next stop.

Because...

2) To see the route the train is taking, you just have to look at the electronic station boards.
4) There are easy to understand route maps at each station, and in backing of point one, once you know where your train is terminating, you know where it will stop because Metro trains stop everywhere.

Technically point four can be argued not all trains stop at every station on the sunderland branch one train per hour doesnt stop at millfield heading back to park lane

HST Power

Established Member
Technically point four can be argued not all trains stop at every station on the sunderland branch one train per hour doesnt stop at millfield heading back to park lane

One train per hour not stopping at one in five stops is hardly a big difference. Again, they could use the departure boards on the Platform to notify the passengers.

WestCoast

Established Member

Because...

DDA requirements. What if you have a visual/hearing impairment?

HST Power

Established Member
A valid point, but automated announcements can be used at a station, and the driver can speak to the passengers through the cab speaker.

WestCoast

Established Member
A valid point, but automated announcements can be used at a station, and the driver can speak to the passengers through the cab speaker.

It's just the modern way to do it, keep passengers as informed as you can using the relevant technology. Yes, drivers can make annoucements and passengers can look out of windows but a screen stating the next stop just makes it that little bit more user friendly, plus it's needed for the DDA, so now is the logical time for installation.

valenta

The automated announcement system is sometime good for a laugh! Was on a metro yesterday when it went through all the stations from South Gosforth to the coast with an announcement every second. Though it was not submitted by me, here is a video showing what I saw: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQTofUTyqQ0 (except we had the announcements with every station! :lol:)

HST Power

Established Member
The automated announcement system is sometime good for a laugh! Was on a metro yesterday when it went through all the stations from South Gosforth to the coast with an announcement every second. Though it was not submitted by me, here is a video showing what I saw: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQTofUTyqQ0 (except we had the announcements with every station! :lol:)

:lol:

Great video!

The voice-over sounds strange as well. The way words are pronounced makes a lot of sentences sound like gibberish. 'Change here.......for....all....services to THE coast...viiiiia St James.....

valenta

:lol:

Great video!

The voice-over sounds strange as well. The way words are pronounced makes a lot of sentences sound like gibberish. 'Change here.......for....all....services to THE coast...viiiiia St James.....

Yes, it sound very ... well ... automated! She certainly got the biggest laugh when she told us that we were terminating at the next station.

Established Member

Automated announcements don't always work - especially on the Sunderland line (if two trains are nearing the same station at the same time then only one of the platforms will have the announcement due to the way the system is set up).

In addition, it is not always possible/safe for drivers to make an announcement, plus there are only a few selected stations where an announcement is mandatory.

cdonnigan

Automated announcements don't always work - especially on the Sunderland line (if two trains are nearing the same station at the same time then only one of the platforms will have the announcement due to the way the system is set up).

In addition, it is not always possible/safe for drivers to make an announcement, plus there are only a few selected stations where an announcement is mandatory.

think its south hylton park lane sunderland east boldon and pelaw that they have to make a announcement at although they dont always do it

Established Member
think its south hylton park lane sunderland east boldon and pelaw that they have to make a announcement at although they dont always do it

From what I can remember when I asked a driver it was:

Airport (terminates)
Kingston Park
Regent Centre
South Gosforth (change for the Coast)
Jesmond
Haymarket
Monument (change for St James and the Coast via Wallsend)
Central (change for local and mainline rail services)
Gateshead
Heworth (change for local rail services) [Sometimes drivers tell people to change at Heworth for South Hylton/South Shields instead of Pelaw)
Pelaw (change for South Shields/South Hylton
Jarrow
South Shields (terminates)
East Boldon
Sunderland
Park Lane
South Hylton (terminates)
St James (Terminates)
[Sometimes Manors is announced but don't think it is compulsory]
Byker
Wallsend
North Shields
Tynemouth
Whitley Bay
West Monkseaton
Four Lane Ends

Of course half of these are never announced, even though it is compulsory.

Person A

As for the yellow tops, apparently that is also incorrect. According to the Skyscrapercity website the colour isn't grey but something similar.
I actually know what colour scheme will be, saw the pics in the canteen. But was asked NOT to reveal anything, so I won't.
I gather it will be early September from one of the lads in the canteen.
I was under the impression it was mid to late August.
We can't wear the new uniforms until then. My old ones are threadbare !!!!:roll:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
From what I can remember when I asked a driver it was:
Of course half of these are never announced, even though it is compulsory.

Some of those you mentioned (Tynemouth and West Monkseaton) are NOT on our list to announce. And Northumberland Park IS.
Byker was downgraded a year or two back, but most still say it.
I shamefully admit to forgetting at times.:oops:

Last edited:

HST Power

Established Member
Maybe all the Metrocars will come back in the livery that was depicted in Valenta's thread 'A Nice Livery'. What a brightly colored railway we'd have! :lol:

Person A

Better watch out in case the SQR team are around!

Thing is, with the automated announcements (pids) I had on occasion, did the announcements on occasion when forgetting. Now, you get used to having them, and forget the odd station when they're not on, or aren't working.
PS - we are now getting our new uniforms. And to say they're different to what we're used to is a HUGE understatement......

Status
Not open for further replies.