• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Any updates on the T&W Metro Refurbs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Found out a bit of further info:

There are apprently some wagons which have the BSI autocouplers, although I don't know which ones (assuming that the hopper wagons have other couplings). There is one wagon which apprently is for depot use only, so could be the match.

I have also found out a bit about the refurbs and what work is still required, although I can't say anything at present.

Paul_10

Found out a bit of further info:

There are apprently some wagons which have the BSI autocouplers, although I don't know which ones (assuming that the hopper wagons have other couplings). There is one wagon which apprently is for depot use only, so could be the match.

I have also found out a bit about the refurbs and what work is still required, although I can't say anything at present.

Do you know any reasonable approximate dates when the first train will be coming back from refurbishment or how much work is still needed to go?

I am hoping to access a computer where I can hopefully access the Nexus forum and pose the very same question sometime this weekend so hopefully, although I very much doubt, we can find out some answers.

valenta

The last time the question was asked in the Nexus forum a very vague answer of "hopefully in the summer" was given.

Person A

Delays? On the Metro? Don't be so silly! <D

Sore point with us. The copper thieves are doing it all the time now. Apparently Metro KNOW who's doing it, and so do the police, but the ludicrous amount of proof required (apparently a little bit of film of them on the track isn't enough) means they just keep offending.Not just us now - they've stretched to mainline too.
About time the ones BUYING the stuff got done.

HST Power

Established Member
Delays? On the Metro? Don't be so silly! <D

Well in comparison to the London routes that I'm frequently stuck on it's much more punctual, much more reliable and maintained in a considerably better manner.

Sore point with us. The copper thieves are doing it all the time now. Apparently Metro KNOW who's doing it, and so do the police, but the ludicrous amount of proof required (apparently a little bit of film of them on the track isn't enough) means they just keep offending.Not just us now - they've stretched to mainline too.
About time the ones BUYING the stuff got done.

The only way they'll learn their lesson is when they have an accident, and end up lying in a hospital bed with desperate need for skin grafts and life saving operations. I don't see why the filming can't be enough, if you get them on camera, surely that could warrant a conviction in court. Why else is the CCTV there, aside from public safety?

valenta

The only way they'll learn their lesson is when they have an accident, and end up lying in a hospital bed with desperate need for skin grafts and life saving operations. I don't see why the filming can't be enough, if you get them on camera, surely that could warrant a conviction in court. Why else is the CCTV there, aside from public safety?

Something needs to be done urgently about cable thefts to stop disruptions being so frequent.
This is not an immediate answer, but I think that if videos of people getting severely injured or killed trespassing on railways were shown in schools, this may discourage future generations from doing this.

HST Power

Established Member
Something needs to be done urgently about cable thefts to stop disruptions being so frequent.
This is not an immediate answer, but I think that if videos of people getting severely injured or killed trespassing on railways were shown in schools, this may discourage future generations from doing this.

There was a similar video on the forum recently, of a cable thief who was severely injured and decided to create a video teaching people that they shouldn't do it. Such a message should be conveyed in schools, I agree. There's a fair scale campaign on to discourage children from playing on the railways, and bringing the copper aspect into the equation would be a very good idea for the future.

Established Member
Do you know any reasonable approximate dates when the first train will be coming back from refurbishment or how much work is still needed to go?

All I can say is that it is taking more work than expected, and that some work will be done back at Gosforth. End of summer might be a realistic date.

Kryten2340

I'm sure this theory I have is completely ludicrous but as they are going through a refurb program at the moment how easy or difficult would it be to convert to a third rail system? I realize that this would be costly to implement but surely in the long run it would be better. They could have it as a dual system and install the third rail as a backup in the areas most targeted by the thieves and build from there. The only difficulty I can see is the parts of the line where there are pedestrian crossings (Kingston Park for example) but is it not possible to have the third rail switched off when no trains are present?

Again I'm sure this is probably impossible but just a thought.

Established Member
Probably more work than it is worth - not only would you have to plan the installation of the 3rd rail along with the other renewals going on, then you'd have to make the Metrocars compatible. Level crossings wouldn't be a problem as you do the same as what happens on the heavy rail network (just remove the 3rd rail from the crossing itself, making sure one part of the Metrocar is in contact). Plus then there is all the money that was spent on the OHLE for the Sunderland extension.

HST Power

Established Member
I don't think 3rd rail would work on the T&W, not now at least. The Metrocars have only just been sent for a facelift, they'd have to be worked on again if 3rd rail was introduced. Though I like the idea in the respect that it would help tackle copper thieves.

Anvil1984

Established Member
However its usually not the Overhead Wires which are nicked, its usually signalling / communications cable which is stolen on Metro and mainline rail which would affect services no matter what power system they used

HST Power

Established Member
A convicted cable thief should be made to go and stand in front of a school audience and talk about how stupid they were, and how doing it was an awful decision. We've got to get the message across. Stop it today, stop it tommorow.

cdonnigan

Probably more work than it is worth - not only would you have to plan the installation of the 3rd rail along with the other renewals going on, then you'd have to make the Metrocars compatible. Level crossings wouldn't be a problem as you do the same as what happens on the heavy rail network (just remove the 3rd rail from the crossing itself, making sure one part of the Metrocar is in contact). Plus then there is all the money that was spent on the OHLE for the Sunderland extension.

i believe they used to use 3rd on the old line from north shields towards manors before the coversion to metro. it wouldnt have any advantage though for it and to be honest i think we would see more people getting hurt by the use of 3rd rail when going onto the tracks and pinching copper wire and stuff

valenta

I believe Paul has had a reply from Huw Lewis on the forum, I quote directly

Huw Lewis of Nexus writes: I can appreciate people are very interested in the new livery and refurbished trains - I can't wait to see them myself! We're working towards two Metrocars coming back at the same time in August (through Hylton Street yard). Metro will then pair them as a set, and they will start doing commissioning runs before entering full passenger service in September. The upgrades mean the refurbed cars will work best when paired up. As mentioned before, the programme then speeds up quite quickly to start delivering more.

Gives us a bit more detail I guess.

HST Power

Established Member
I'm in Newcastle in August!

Is there a chance I could see them if I head down to South Hylton?

...the major line closure between Tynemouth and Byker will mean the sidings at Hylton Street in North Shields will be out of use.

what are those sidings used for? or what were they used for?
i assume they're just for metro now, since they only appear to be connected to the metro network. but on google maps, those vehicles...?
what did the sidings used to be used for?

Paul_10

Yep, its nice to get a bit more detail on the current state of the refurbishment and when they will be coming back, I'll ask another time if Huw would be prepared to give a specific date on when they will be coming back or if he could give us a specific date closer to the time.

The Hylton street sidings is between North Shields and Meadow Well stations, I don't live in North Shields but I did head down there to try and find the sidings and the closest metro station to get off at is North Shields and basically walk as close to the track as possible and head towards Meadow Well. Looking on google maps will help you but its only a 5 min walk away if that.

Be interesting what will happen to the 3rd car, will it stay down in Doncaster until the 4th metro is done and then bring them both up together or will it come up soon afterwards? Whatever the doubt, unlike last time, its unlikely we will see an unrefurbished car paired with an newly refurbished one.

On the subject of cable theft, has there been any more incidents since BBC/ITV local news has reported on it last week?

sprinterguy

Established Member
i believe they used to use 3rd on the old line from north shields towards manors before the coversion to metro. it wouldnt have any advantage though for it and to be honest i think we would see more people getting hurt by the use of 3rd rail when going onto the tracks and pinching copper wire and stuff
The Tyneside third rail electric network was taken out of use in the sixties (North Tyneside loop in '67 and South Shields in '63) and the service replaced by first gen DMUs as the equipment was life expired. The Metro conversion only occured after fifteen(ish) years of DMU operation.

It has to be said that third rail definitely does have the benefit of potentially injuring more of the buggers intending to steal the copper from the signalling when they get lineside which would serve them right, but it doesn't offer many other benefits as others have said because a lot of the thefts that take place are of signalling and communications equipment, not the high voltage overheads.

Established Member

Different part of the network, Hylton Street is in North Shields and not Sunderland. Went past yesterday and there isn't anything there at the minute.

blackettstreet said:
what are those sidings used for? or what were they used for?
i assume they're just for metro now, since they only appear to be connected to the metro network. but on google maps, those vehicles...?
what did the sidings used to be used for?

Permanent way stock usually, for a long while the ballast wagons were kept there but these were shifted a while ago back to the depot to be repainted. There are is a siding on the north part of the railway opposite Hylton Street (called Bagnall's Siding) which I don't think has been used in ages. IIRC when North Shields platform 3 was in use, it used to get empty stock in from when the old blue line was still around.

No further cable thefts but I was told that there were some tresspassers spotted at the depot the other day (which is manned 24 hours a day, not exactly bright these people). Not sure if they have been sending ghost trains around the line but I did hear something going over Byker Viaduct the other night after the end of service.

HST Power

Established Member
Different part of the network, Hylton Street is in North Shields and not Sunderland. Went past yesterday and there isn't anything there at the minute.

Thanks for correcting me. I might go down and have a look, I'm planning on doing quite a bit of photography whilst I'm up there anyway.

Established Member
Thanks for correcting me. I might go down and have a look, I'm planning on doing quite a bit of photography whilst I'm up there anyway.

Just remember to get permission first, always advisable.

Hylton Street isn't too far a walk from North Shields station but nothing to see at present. If I'm going past and something shows up I'll let you know.

HST Power

Established Member
Just remember to get permission first, always advisable.

Hylton Street isn't too far a walk from North Shields station but nothing to see at present. If I'm going past and something shows up I'll let you know.

Of course, I wouldn't go without permission. I never go until I have advanced notice that photography is permitted. Though the T&W Metro don't seem to mind enthusiasts, in my experience.

Paul_10

. Though the T&W Metro don't seem to mind enthusiasts, in my experience.

Although I don't take photos of trains, i tend to find that to be the complete opposite. Its a little embarracing that we appear to be the only system in the UK where photography is forbidden but rules are rules and they been there since the start. Shame really.

You are more than welcomed to take photos/video the sets when they do finally return as you won't be on metro property then so they can't stop you.

Established Member
Some drivers don't seem to mind, and some do. Most of the time it will be Revenue Protection that ask you to stop filming/taking photos. Thankfully there are plenty of places that are not on Nexus property where you can get a very good angle from bridges/roadsides.

cdonnigan

just out of curiosity does anyone know of a line map available just showing all the different sidings and crossovers etc on the system

Paul_10

The interior colour for the refurbished metrocar has been revealed here http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=82660868#post82660868
Begins with a "w", no prizes for a correct guess.

On that same forum on page 52, there was an image posted of what the colour the exterior of the trains will be and it was white with black in between the windows, similar perhaps what Haymarket looks like with the Black and White panelling. Yet I read a forum today that the livery will be the Nexus grey colour that is on the buses with a yellow roof, don't know how true that is though but reading the skyscraper forum, the livery will be some kind of grey apparently.

Regarding the white interior, I guess it will make it brighter and be an improvment on the "grey" interior we have currently but as others have said, white shows muck easily and we all know Metro is not the best in terms of cleaniness although it has improved since DB took over.

Hopefully it won't be much longer until the first two trains return from Refurbishment, its been long overdue!

Status
Not open for further replies.