• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Any way of changing gender of ScotRail Bargain Berth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuart

No, seriously, so many posts that completely missed Stuart's point.

Glad to see someone has got it at last!

There was a move away from compartment stock to open saloons (talking about day stock here) for personal safety reasons: it was all too easy to find oneself in a compartment (designed for six, but often not occupied to capacity) with someone unsuitable and a closed door between yourself and the rest of the world. It's time a similar move was made with sleeper stock (the existing stock being prety much life-expired, despite the so-called refurbishment a couple of years ago, where they didn't even change the carpets). Either a move to single-class sleeping accomodation with single berths - perhaps supplemented by more seated accomodation - and/or a move in standard class to either "capsule" style accomodation or cabins with larger numbers of people where there is, as others have pointed out, safety in numbers.

Gender/orientation is only one of a number of variables - what about age, sobriety, propensity to snore, recent consumption of spicy curry, chronic insomnia? - that go into determining suitable pairings. In fact, the more you think about it, gender may become the least of your worries. A one-on-one sharing system based purely on gender just doesn't cut it in the 2000s.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

34D

Established Member
Gender/orientation is only one of a number of variables - what about age, sobriety, propensity to snore, recent consumption of spicy curry, chronic insomnia? - that go into determining suitable pairings. In fact, the more you think about it, gender may become the least of your worries. A one-on-one sharing system based purely on gender just doesn't cut it in the 2000s.

Try telling that to the father of an 18 year old student returning to university who has just shared a 6 berth with 5 businessmen in their 40s.

12CSVT

Established Member
Having read some of the posts in this thread, all I'm going to say is thank goodness all the Scotrail and FGW sleeper services have conventional seated coaches.

WestCoast

Established Member
There was a move away from compartment stock to open saloons (talking about day stock here) for personal safety reasons: it was all too easy to find oneself in a compartment (designed for six, but often not occupied to capacity) with someone unsuitable and a closed door between yourself and the rest of the world.

Compartments are still available on a number of longer distance trains (including the latest generation) on the continent (in both classes), but there is always the option of open seating as well. They actually tend to be the most popular seats on the train, as they appeal particularly to groups/families and people wanting to relax away from the hussle and bussle of a packed open saloon. They feel very civilised for long distance travel in my opinion.

cabins with larger numbers of people where there is, as others have pointed out, safety in numbers.

Again, couchettes of 6 are the main 2nd class sleeper accommodation in mainland Europe (private solo/group compartments may be 1st class), where there are vastly more overnight services than here. I've shared a couchette with 2-5 other people numerous times and never found any problems, nor have I heard about any. The only time I have travelled on the Caledonian sleeper was a quiet night, where sharing was not required due to the low occupancy.

To my knowledge, no operator has tried to fit the airline style lie-flat seats in an open saloon. It's perhaps an option, but I guess it depends on how many you can fit in (they are somewhat wide) and whether passengers like them without the ambient noise of an aircraft engine (thus hearing the movement and noises of a whole carriage of people, plus the train staff e.t.c).

Last edited:

bkhtele

You could try an upgrade to solo (a single birth) if available, it is unlikely that the train staff would care what sex the person was in the birth - think it is about £20 extra. I am sure it would be considered an admin error on the night. Think it is quite common that male/female selection is wrong. Staff are very helpful

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
You could try an upgrade to solo (a single berth) if available, it is unlikely that the train staff would care what sex the person was in the berth - think it is about £20 extra. I am sure it would be considered an admin error on the night. Think it is quite common that male/female selection is wrong. Staff are very helpful

Doubt you can do this with a "bargain berth" though. If you hold the modern equivalent of the old open or saver returns then you can pay extra for a "solo" cabin. This is still in the standard coaches and the other berth in your compartment is not folded away either.

deltic1989

Established Member
Ok, so if we were to phase out cabins on sleeper services how would the accomodation work?
Let's consider this. According to my research a mk 3 coach is 23 metres long, take out 1 metre (give or take a few centemetres) for the vestibules and we are left with 21 metres of space in the saloon.
Now if we have 3 metre long bunks against each wall of the coach we have enough room for 7 (if my mental arithmatic hasn't failed me), if we stack 3 of these bunks one on top of the other (as in the below photograph of a submarine) then we (again if my maths hasn't failed me) have enough room for 21 bunks against each wall, so 42 in each coach.
If each bunk has its own light and a curtain for privacy, this model should provide reasonable comfort and provide extra capacity over the existing model.
It's worked on warships for years and I hae to say that for my part my 4 1/2 years in this type of accomodation, all be it not on a submarine but a type 22 frigate, was pretty comfortable.

I stand to be correted on any of the points above, but it's an idea.

click here for the image I was talking about.

34D

Established Member
Ok, so if we were to phase out cabins on sleeper services how would the accomodation work?
Let's consider this. According to my research a mk 3 coach is 23 metres long, take out 1 metre (give or take a few centemetres) for the vestibules and we are left with 21 metres of space in the saloon.
Now if we have 3 metre long bunks against each wall of the coach we have enough room for 7 (if my mental arithmatic hasn't failed me), if we stack 3 of these bunks one on top of the other (as in the below photograph of a submarine) then we (again if my maths hasn't failed me) have enough room for 21 bunks against each wall, so 42 in each coach.
If each bunk has its own light and a curtain for privacy, this model should provide reasonable comfort and provide extra capacity over the existing model.
It's worked on warships for years and I hae to say that for my part my 4 1/2 years in this type of accomodation, all be it not on a submarine but a type 22 frigate, was pretty comfortable.

I like your idea. Spookily, 42 people is traditionally the capacity of a mark 1 or 2 first class coach (mark 3 and 4 are a bit higher).

If this was the lower of two levels of lie flat accommodation (with the higher level being berths for one with an en suite shower) I would be most happy.

Not sure if there is a way to ask this without breeching forum rules or public decency, but the headroom in those navy bunks is very restricted, and I'd imagine that intimate activity is virtually impossible - is this the case? Though again, we would (hopefully) have first class compartments for that.

ng1980

Hi, deltic1989,

I have never been on a sleeper train in UK - I have been on 3 sleeper trains in China ( :lol: ) and 2 in Australia ( :cry: ).

Chinese sleeper trains have (or at least had, I have not kept up with the development of Chinese railways in the last few years) five classes:
* 1st class: soft sleeper
* 2nd class: hard sleeper
* 3rd class: soft seat
* 4th class: hard seat
* 5th class: standing, sitting on floor, or sitting in luggage van

I attach a pic (downloaded, not mine) of a 2nd class hard sleeper, which does not look very comfortable. However, I stayed in this accomodation on three trips (Wuhan - Shanghai, Shanghai - Hong Kong, Hong Kong - Beijing) and I found them perfectly comfortable and adequate.

As you can see, these are also bunks of three, but rather than being alongside the carriage, they are across the carriage, affording a greater number of beds in the carriage. There is also room for a table and chair on the opposite side of the gangway.

I don't know about the guage and width clearance comparisons between the UK and China, but here is another option. However, people in the UK might like a little more privacy than this. A curtain across could make things a bit more private.

Anyway, just thought that I would share.

ng1980

Hi, deltic1989,

I have never been on a sleeper train in UK - I have been on 3 sleeper trains in China ( :lol: ) and 2 in Australia ( :cry: ).

Chinese sleeper trains have (or at least had, I have not kept up with the development of Chinese railways in the last few years) five classes:

I attach a pic (downloaded, not mine) of a 2nd class hard sleeper, which does not look very comfortable. However, I stayed in this accomodation on three trips (Wuhan - Shanghai, Shanghai - Hong Kong, Hong Kong - Beijing) and I found them perfectly comfortable and adequate.

As you can see, these are also bunks of three, but rather than being alongside the carriage, they are across the carriage, affording a greater number of beds in the carriage. There is also room for a table and chair on the opposite side of the gangway.

I don't know about the guage and width clearance comparisons between the UK and China, but here is another option. However, people in the UK might like a little more privacy than this. A curtain across could make things a bit more private.

Forgot to attach pic, and it won't do it by editing, so here's a new message with attachment.

Attachments

• china_sleeper_train.jpg
    china_sleeper_train.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 33

simonm

Why not just do what they do on the Night Riviera (also run by First) where single travellers have a single cabin to themselves and you don't share unless you know the person.

philjo

Established Member
Hi, deltic1989,

That arrangement would never pass UK fire regulations.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Why not just do what they do on the Night Riviera (also run by First) where single travellers have a single cabin to themselves and you don't share unless you know the person.

Many of the Caledonian sleeper services, especially Friday and Sunday night, run full or nearly full. You want to reduce capacity? If you wanted to go to single-occupancy only (unless you're booking together) you'd have to nearly double the number of Standard Class carriages- which would mean running five trains in and out of Euston rather than two, and you'd have to claw back every mark 3 SLE and SLEP currently rotting away or being used as accomodation on preservated railways or in charter rakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.