• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Any ways to reduce Edinburgh-Glasgow fares?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly I have no more of the £1 tickets, my girlfriend lives in Edinburgh and I live in Glasgow so it has been very useful.

However I'm going to be moving through there in 6 weeks, so my question is, I have 3 more return trips Glasgow to Edinburgh (going peak evening and returning peak morning), is there anything out there to help me, I know there used to be an Inverkeithing trick but it isn't really much of a saving any more.

Or I could just go back to the bus at £10.40 return

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

boyaloud

check out megabus which uses quite OK coaches and is often £1 each way, they run tons of journeys.

ScotTrains

Be very careful what you post here. Scotrail keep a close eye on these forums and will quickly remove any cheap fares that they think shouldn't exist.

cjp

Use a Cross Country service at £8.50 each way or £12.50 first class if you want a more comfortable seat for the one hour journey and cheaper if you have a rail card.
Mind you far fewer trains - nine each way most days, I think.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Be very careful what you post here. Scotrail keep a close eye on these forums and will quickly remove any cheap fares that they think shouldn't exist.

Buying long is not really a loophole, as the fares serve different markets. As long as they don't directly undercut the primary fares (the Anytime Day Returns in this case) for the intended journey, there is little risk of something being done directly as a result of the fare being revealed on a public forum.

Anyone who has been around for a bit on this forum should be aware of the trick of buying long when no period returns exist for a journey they wish to make.

ScotTrains

Buying long is not really a loophole, as the fares serve different markets. As long as they don't directly undercut the primary fares (the Anytime Day Returns in this case) for the intended journey, there is little risk of something being done directly as a result of the fare being revealed on a public forum.

Anyone who has been around for a bit on this forum should be aware of the trick of buying long when no period returns exist for a journey they wish to make.
What do you mean by 'buying long'? There are still many anytime tickets available that do undercut the primary Glasgow to Edinburgh anytime fares.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
What do you mean by 'buying long'? There are still many anytime tickets available that do undercut the primary Glasgow to Edinburgh anytime fares.

Buying long as in buying a ticket for a station beyond the destination.

In the case of Eskbank, there does not appear to be any undercutting.

Status
Not open for further replies.