• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Any working ex-Blackpool trams on heritage lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howardh

Established Member
My dad asked me this before he died - I promised I'd look it up but never did, and the thread about Blackpool trams made me wonder if there are any heritage lines running ex-Blackpool stock, or whether some carriages exist simply standing - other than the obvious York museum? I've not had much luck on Google, found one at Beamish; but this place is a Wiki in it's own right!! Anyone? Thanks!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
My dad asked me this before he died - I promised I'd look it up but never did, and the thread about Blackpool trams made me wonder if there are any heritage lines running ex-Blackpool stock, or whether some carriages exist simply standing - other than the obvious York museum? I've not had much luck on Google, found one at Beamish; but this place is a Wiki in it's own right!! Anyone? Thanks!!
Never been there, and it's probably not currently open, but I believe Heaton Park Tramway in Manchester has one or two ex-Blackpool trams.

John Webb

Established Member
Trams don't feature at the York museum - there are Blackpool trams preserved at the Crich Tramway Village, home to the National Tram Museum. See their website for more information. There may be one or two other museums with tram tracks who also have one or two ex-Blackpool trams - try eatransportmuseum.co.uk for example.

Re Heaton Park - see hptramway.co.uk for information on that.

Howardh

Established Member
Never been there, and it's probably not currently open, but I believe Heaton Park Tramway in Manchester has one or two ex-Blackpool trams.
Yes, I've been on one but didn't realise it was (could have been) ex-Blackpool. I'll double chech my videos, but happily my dad and I did go on one, so that might have been my promise kept. That's cheered me up no-end, thanks!!

Thanks for the other helpful replies too, this will keep me busy tonight, cheers!!

EDIT I didn't even know we HAD a national tramway museum. Sounds a great day out!

madannie77

Beamish Museum has Blackpool car 31 in regular use and has had several other Blackpool cars as visiting attractions over the years, although the visitors section of the linked webpage is rather out of date: in 2019 Blackpool & Fleetwood car 40 was on loan.

Howardh

Established Member
I've looked at Crich and it's a 3hr+ rail journey from here +a steep mile-long walk. Very difficult to get to by car too from these parts! However if I can find something else to do in or around Derby over the winter it's worth a couple of nights stay, we'll see how lockdown goes. Possibly a cricket/tram stopover next spring.

John Webb

Established Member
.......EDIT I didn't even know we HAD a national tramway museum. Sounds a great day out!
The museum at Crich has been around from 1959 onwards, although electric traction didn't get underway until 1964. It was first known as 'The Tramways Museum' - not quite certain when it acquired the 'National' tag - certainly by the 1980s. It certainly is a great day out - much has been done over the years to set part of the museum up as a street so the trams are seen moving in an urban environment as they used to. It's partly the reason they renamed themselves several years ago as the 'Tramway Village' to indicate they'd got more than just trams.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I've looked at Crich and it's a 3hr+ rail journey from here +a steep mile-long walk. Very difficult to get to by car too from these parts! However if I can find something else to do in or around Derby over the winter it's worth a couple of nights stay, we'll see how lockdown goes. Possibly a cricket/tram stopover next spring.

I did Crich for the first time this year and it's a lovely day out.

Down side at the moment is having to book slots for riding the trams due to distancing. Prossibly better to wait until normality returns for the fuller experience.

Howardh

Established Member
I did Crich for the first time this year and it's a lovely day out.

Down side at the moment is having to book slots for riding the trams due to distancing. Prossibly better to wait until normality returns for the fuller experience.
My thoughts. Must be a much better experience under normal conditions. I take it you can get inside some if not all of the trams? Some transport museums are very disappointing in that access is so very limited. Understandable when they want to keep the interiors pristine, but most frustrating.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member

According to their web site "The Museum has a bus stop directly outside the entrance which is serviced by Littles Travel. All the buses are fully accessible. Buses run from Matlock (140), Ripley (141), Alfreton (140) and Belper (142). See the link: http://www.littlestravel.co.uk/timetables.html "

I went there about five or six years ago from Chesterfield, so I probably went to Matlock or Ripley by train and then by one of the buses named above. As far as I can remember, everything went well, and it was a grand good day out!

Howardh

Established Member
According to their web site "The Museum has a bus stop directly outside the entrance which is serviced by Littles Travel. All the buses are fully accessible. Buses run from Matlock (140), Ripley (141), Alfreton (140) and Belper (142). See the link: http://www.littlestravel.co.uk/timetables.html "

I went there about five or six years ago from Chesterfield, so I probably went to Matlock or Ripley by train and then by one of the buses named above. As far as I can remember, everything went well, and it was a grand good day out!
Ta. Glad you crossed out grand, my bank manager would be having kittens!

Edit, Alfreton, I can get there on a Northern 55+ day ticket.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
My thoughts. Must be a much better experience under normal conditions. I take it you can get inside some if not all of the trams? Some transport museums are very disappointing in that access is so very limited. Understandable when they want to keep the interiors pristine, but most frustrating.

All of the trams on static display in the museum are external viewing only.

The working trams are kept in the operational sheds, but no access at all when I was there.

Howardh

Established Member
Edit, Alfreton, I can get there on a Northern 55+ day ticket.
I'll quote my own post - the Northern Explorer 55+ won't get me as far as Alfreton....Buxton is the furthest.

superjohn

The East Anglia Transport Museum at Lowestoft has a couple of former Blackpool trams but I don’t know their current operational status.

Howardh

Established Member
Crich sounds a superb day out and i can doit in two hops on the train from Bolton, with the bus ride to the museum and over an hour there. Got it pencilled in fro next Thursday, Boris permitting. An on-line ticket can be used any time withing a year if a visitor can't go due to CV, good stuff.

Noted that my train from Bolton arrives at Oxford Road, and there's 6 mins to get the East Midlands train. That does feel tight, and if I muss the EMT then that's my day gone, so I'll have to get an earlier one and hang around.

mailbyrail

There are (were anyway, precovid!) several variations of tickets - the normal one is Gift-aid and gives you unlimited returns within 12 months excepting a few special days. The walk uphill from Whatstandwell station is quite a climb. The local buses from Matlock are reliable but check what is running as there are still covid changes in place on some routes. I've not been this year, with my 12 month ticket going unused since last year and now expired.

The Derbyshire timetable website is the most reliable and easy to use

If you are staying in the area overnight then Peak Rail or Ecclesbourne Valley Railway (EVR) as well as Steeple Grange Light Railway are close by - but only the EVR is running at the moment. There's also the Cromford Canal and Cromford & High Peak Railway with Leawood Pumping station and Middleton Top Engine House which are in steam at least once a month under normal circumstances. For an even more different experience, there's the cable cars at Matlock Bath.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Midland Railway Centre at Butterley isn't far either.
Crich sounds a superb day out and i can doit in two hops on the train from Bolton, with the bus ride to the museum and over an hour there.
I don't think you'll be able to do it justice in an hour.

Howardh

Established Member
Midland Railway Centre at Butterley isn't far either.

I don't think you'll be able to do it justice in an hour.
Yes, looks like there are buses every hour back so could manage over two hours, would love not to be rushed. Biggest worry for me is that as covid percautions they are only selling take-away food, so eat outside rahter than in a nice warm cafe. Same applies to their pub. OK if it's a sunny late October day, but not if it's throwing it down so I'll watch the forecast.

mailbyrail

If you're thinking of Matlock-Crich buses, the service is only less than every two hours at the moment (reduced Covid services on most rural routes)
Matlock Train+Bus interchange 10.02 - 12.02 - 15.02 - 17.02
Crich Tramway Museum 10.34 - 12.34 - 15.34 - 17.34

Crich 09.34 - 11.34 - 14.34 - 16.34
Matlock 10.00 - 12.00 - 15.00 - 17.00

bluegoblin7

Established Member
I think most of the Blackpool trams have been washed up above, but here’s an exhaustive list. Those marked * are operational, those with a ^ are usually operational but not for this year (this is non-exhaustive). Vehicles with a + are not on public display. Long-term 'foreign' residents are included, short term visitors (for e.g. 1985 or 2010 anniversary events) are not.

Crich Tramway Village / the National Tramway Museum
  • Blackpool & Fleetwood ‘Rack’ 2, 1898
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 2+, 1935 (Railgrinder)
  • Blackpool Tramways Company 4, 1894
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 5+, 1972
  • Blackpool & Fleetwood 'Box' 40^, 1914
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 40*, 1926
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 49, 1926
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 59+, 1902
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 166^, 1927
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 167*, 1928
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 236*, 1934
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 249, 1935
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 298+, 1937
  • Blackpool Transport Services 630^, 1937,
  • Blackpool Transport Services 762^, 1982
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport Electric Loco*, 1927 (Electric locomotive; used for shunting & recovery purposes)

Beamish: The Living Museum of the North - No trams are expected to operate at Beamish this year
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 31^, 1901
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 749+, 1901 (Tower wagon)

East Anglia Transport Museum, Carlton Colville
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 11*, 1939
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 159*, 1927
  • Sheffield Corporation Transport 513*, 1950 (Although not a native Blackpool vehicle, the car was resident at Blackpool 1984/5 and 2001-2011; owned by Beamish Museum)

Heaton Park Tramway - No trams are expected to operate at Heaton Park this year
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 1+, 1920 (Railgrinder)
  • Stockport Corporation Transport 5+, 1901 (Although not a native Blackpool vehicle, the car was resident at Blackpool 1996-2002 and 2003-2011)
  • Blackpool Transport Services 619+, 1987 (Replica Vanguard)
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 623^, 1937
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 680*, 1935 (On loan to Blackpool)
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 702+, 1934
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 708+, 1934 (Stored in Blackpool)

Fleetwood Heritage Leisure Trust - All trams are non-operational and not on public display
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 290, 1937 (At Rigby Road)
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 637, 1937
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 641, 1984
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 673+683, 1961
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 678, 1961
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 687, 1960
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 710, 1934

North East Electrical Traction Trust - All trams are non-operational and not on public display
  • Blackpool Transport Services 647, 1988
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 674+684, 1960
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 721, 1934

Blackpool Trams in Exile - Vehicles are in various locations around the world; 2020 operational statuses are not confirmed except for San Francisco
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 48, 1928 - Oregon Electric Railway Museum
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 144*, 1925 - Seashore Trolley Museum, Kennebunkport, Maine
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 226, 1934 - Western Railroad Museum, California
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 228*, 1934 - San Francisco E-Embarcadero/F-Market
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 233*, 1934 - San Francisco E-Embarcadero/F-Market
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 606*, 1934 - National Capitol Trolley Museum, Washington D.C.
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 622+, 1935 - Anchorsholme Primary School, Blackpool
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 626+, 1935 - Knowlsey Docks, the Wirral
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 636, 1935 - Ecclesbourne Valley Railway, Wirksworth
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 637+, 1935 - Fleetwood Docks
  • Blackpool Transport Services 643+, 1986 - Brooke School, Rugby
  • Blackpool Transport Services 644+, 1986 - Farmer Parr's, Fleetwood

Blackpool Trams in Blackpool - Vehicles remain in Blackpool as part of the tramway's Heritage Tram Tours or B fleet, or stored for third party organisations. Most usually reside in Rigby Road depot but can occasionally be seen in Starr Gate depot. All non-operational vehicles are not on public display
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 8, 1974
  • Lytham Corporation Tramway 43, 1924
  • Bolton Corporation Tramways 66*, 1901 (Although not a native Blackpool vehicle, the car has been resident at Blackpool since 1963, longer than spent working for Bolton Corporation [1901-1946])
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 143, 1924
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 147*, 1924
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 227*, 1934
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 230^, 1934
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 259, 1937
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 272+T2, 1960
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 279, 1935
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 304, 1952
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 600*, 1934
  • Blackpool Transport Services 611 'Trampower', 1995
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 621*, 1937
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 625, 1937
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 631*, 1937
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 632, 1937
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 634, 1937
  • Blackpool Transport Services 642*, 1986
  • Blackpool Transport Services 645, 1987
  • Blackpool Transport Services 648*, 1990
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 660, 1953
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 663, 1953
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 671+681, 1960
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 675+685, 1958
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 676+686, 1958
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 700*, 1934
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 701*, 1934
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 703, 1934
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 704, 1934
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 706, 1934
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 707*, 1934
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 709, 1934
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 711*, 1934
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 713*, 1934
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 715*, 1935
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 717*, 1934
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 718*, 1934
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 719^, 1935
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 720, 1935
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 723*, 1935
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 724, 1935
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 726, 1935
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 732 'Rocket', 1961
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 733+734 'Western Train', 1962
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 735 'Hovertram', 1963
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 736 'Frigate', 1965
  • Blackpool Corporation Transport 737 'Trawler', 2001
  • Blackpool Transport Services 761, 1979
----

Crich is definitely recommended for a visit (although I would say that as a working volunteer), although it is particularly troublesome to reach via public transport at the moment. In addition to the reduced timetables, an ongoing road closure coming from the Matlock direction adds significant journey time. A taxi from Whatstandwell or Alfreton station is reasonable, although should be booked in advance, and would be significantly quicker. The walk from Whatstandwell is up a steep hill, but is manageable and on made roads, it takes around 30 minutes for a person with average fitness. Tickets remain valid for 12 months from date of first use (if Gift Aided); a return in 'normal' times would be advised as current operations may mean only one tram ride is possible (they must be pre-booked on the day), and some attractions and the tram depots are closed. It is not possible to board any of the non-operational vehicles, with the exception of Balloon 249 in the Great Exhibition Hall (I am not sure if this is still accessible in the current reduced offer, however) which can be boarded (lower deck only). In all cases, this is for a combination of safety and conservation reasons (genuinely, it isn't an excuse; as a designated collection at an accredited museum, Crich has responsibilities above and beyond that of the 'average' heritage railway and more in line with those of the NRM).

Hope this all helps.

birchesgreen

Established Member

No its not a steep walk its a very steep walk! I think there is a bus from Whatstandwell though?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Coming from the north you are probably looking at bus/taxi from Alfreton rather than anywhere on the Matlock branch.

Status
Not open for further replies.