• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Anybody know how I could come about a section of rail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Hola. I'm not quite sure where this should go tbh

Basically, I am wondering where I could get a section of rail that's about 50 cm long for use as an anvil in my metal workshop. Is there any way legally that this is possible or is it a big no-no?

Cheers all

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

YorkshireBear

Established Member

Basically, I am wondering where I could get a section of rail that's about 50 cm long for use as an anvil in my metal workshop. Is there any way legally that this is possible or is it a big no-no?

Cheers all

Contact Heritage railways for a piece of scrap railway most will be able to oblige.

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
There was a very sizable piece on a beach in May, here.

Absolutley Zero help to you I'm afraid, but there we go. :(

topydre

Is that the same Frongoch that had an internment camp there during the First World War ?

Sorry, that's a different Frongoch! The internment camp (AKA Sinn Fein University) was near Bala. Though that Frongoch also had a railway station, on the Bala - Blaenau Ffestiniog line

DownSouth

Established Member
My aunt managed to get a load of old sleepers for her garden by simply offering the workers on the track rebuild project a couple of cartons of beer!

Starmill

Veteran Member
I got a bit of a sleeper and a very small cross-section of rail from a relative who works in Pway and one of those clips that hold the track down (don't know the name) from the side of a cycle path that used to be a railway line. All I need now is a fish plate!

Harbon 1

I've got two clips, an e-clip (recovered from when the p-way gang decided our garden was the best place for it) and one of the double e clip ones, fished from over the fence in the weeds :D

paul1609

Established Member

Cheers all

If you can get to Wittersham in Kent to collect it I can sort you out!

IKBrunel

Works for me - I think. Search 'Smugglers Cove Boatyard' in Maps. Here are the rest of the details for it
Smugglers Cove Boatyard
Frongoch
Aberdyfi, Gwynedd LL35 0RG

Smugglers Cove is home to a number of businesses including Marquee hire, holiday cottages and a woodburner shop.
www.smugglerscove.info

If said piece of rail isn't the property of NR then I suspect it would already have been put to some good use since last May, but you could always call the owners and ask.

Last edited:

asylumxl

Established Member
You can come across a section of rail just about anywhere on the rail network. Unfortunately a lot of it is in use and as such NR would not be happy if you took it.

High Dyke

Established Member
You can come across a section of rail just about anywhere on the rail network. Unfortunately a lot of it is in use and as such NR would not be happy if you took it.
Apart from the bits they just dump on grass verges etc when doing renewals work. However to take it without the owners consent is stealing. Be advised NR are good at disciplining / prosecuting their own staff for theft...let alone the general public.

neilmc

Apart from the bits they just dump on grass verges etc when doing renewals work. However to take it without the owners consent is stealing. Be advised NR are good at disciplining / prosecuting their own staff for theft...let alone the general public.

Travelling from Bristol to Birmingham there were always far more rusty lengths of old rail beside and between the tracks than there were rail in use! NR should have issued an amnesty to scrap thieves, take away as much of the rusty as you want but just leave the shiny stuff!:lol:

stockport1

the abandoned helsby-mouldsworth line has lots of remains on it and is easily accessible and the track has been lifted.
I have walked its entire length and encountered lots of batteries, pieces of rail and shoes/rail clamps etc etc.

not sure about the legality of removing these items though!

snowball

Established Member
Transport for Greater Manchester or their Metrolink construction contractors MPT may be able to help as they have just closed the old route through Oldham and are cutting up the track for scrap.

Status
Not open for further replies.