• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Anytime return cheaper than Off peak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firesprite

As unregulated fares are to increase later this month. I checked
some of my usual journeys. For example March-Ely return will
be cheaper to buy a Anytime return (£9.30) than a offpeak return
(£9.80), The question does arise how many more are out there?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
£9.30 is an Anytime Day Return. Are you also referring to an off-peak day return?

clagmonster

Established Member
I had a look earlier, both are day returns. The SDR is cheaper than the CDR. I don't see any purpose for the CDR.

All Line Rover

Established Member
I had a look earlier, both are day returns. The SDR is cheaper than the CDR. I don't see any purpose for the CDR.

ATW have numerous examples of this. I think the CDR is the regulated fare, which is why ATW increase it by the maximum possible amount each year. As ATW suspect people wouldn't pay this much, they keep the unregulated SDR at a lower level. If, when the time is right, ATW feel it is OK to significantly increase the fare, they just have to wack up the SDR and charge everyone at least the higher CDR! Another loophole that allows the TOC's to get around regulation.

John @ home

Established Member
I think the CDR is the regulated fare, which is why ATW increase it by the maximum possible amount each year. As ATW suspect people wouldn't pay this much, they keep the unregulated SDR at a lower level.
No. It's the other way round.

See Annex A: How fares and ticketing regulation works in DfT's Rail Fares and Ticketing Review: Initial consultation. Fig. A1 shows that the Anytime Day Single/Return is "Usually regulated" but the Off Peak Day Single/Return is "Usually unregulated".

Firesprite

A little news update, The off peak fare increase between March and Ely has been giving the chop by Greater Anglia.

RJ

Established Member
A little news update, The off peak fare increase between March and Ely has been giving the chop by Greater Anglia.

Pricing anomalies are of great interest to TOCs and if alerted (posting on here is a great way to do that,) they will seek to correct post haste. Pricing updates normally appear on the Friday of each week.

calc7

Established Member
That makes these anomalies very, very odd. :|

CDR > SDR makes little logical sense. Being a cynic, I can only assume it exists so that leisure travellers who are travelling off-peak think "oh that's the ticket I need!" and end up paying more.

RJ

Established Member
CDR > SDR makes little logical sense. Being a cynic, I can only assume it exists so that leisure travellers who are travelling off-peak think "oh that's the ticket I need!" and end up paying more.

Being a realist, I assume it existed as a mere oversight in a very complex ticketing system, which has been duly amended :p

wintonian

Established Member
That makes these anomalies very, very odd. :|

I liked your theory though. :)

Quite possibly or is it a beneficial side affect?

Being a realist, I assume it existed as a mere oversight in a very complex ticketing system, which has been duly amended :p

Also possible.

I can't help thinking All Line Rover might be close, at some point there will be either a fares re-complifaction or someone will notice and decide that it is morally wrong to charge off-peak passengers more than peak passengers resulting in ATW being asked correct this, ATW asks for an exemption from the regulated fares increase as they have been asked to correct this anomaly,and the anytime fare gets increased by x% or 10p more expensive than the off-peak fare.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
ATW asks for an exemption from the regulated fares increase as they have been asked to correct this anomaly
Is that possible though? I thought one of the reasons always trotted out for what's known as the "flex" with the fares basket system was that it allows TOCs to adjust some fares more than others in order to correct anomalies.

Status
Not open for further replies.