• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

APD

What should happen with APD (air passenger duty) tax?

• Abolish completely

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Reduce

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Remain in the current state

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Increase

Votes: 11 39.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I haven’t done your poll because I don’t think there is an answer that represents my opinions.

I personally would increase short haul and domestic APD where there is a reasonable alternative and reduce it for medium and long haul flights where there is less of a choice. I’d also look at introducing a tier for various classes as well to reduce APD for premium economy and business classes and have it chargeable as a proportion of the ticket price for medium and long haul rather than a fixed charge.

Craig2601

I haven’t done your poll because I don’t think there is an answer that represents my opinions.

I personally would increase short haul and domestic APD where there is a reasonable alternative and reduce it for medium and long haul flights where there is less of a choice. I’d also look at introducing a tier for various classes as well to reduce APD for premium economy and business classes and have it chargeable as a proportion of the ticket price for medium and long haul rather than a fixed charge.
I actually didn’t think of that, but seems like a very good idea indeed. The big problem is people taking flights for short haul journeys like Glasgow-London and London-Paris that could easily be done by train (and once security checks and the like have been added at airports is faster too).

Established Member

I'm curious as to the reasoning behind cutting APD on premium and business tickets? Would this benefit not primarily accrue to already relatively wealthy people? (And be very concentrated in the South East of England because most flights at regional airports are economy only?)

Personally I think until someone invents a viable electric airliner the only way taxes on flying can go is up.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm curious as to the reasoning behind cutting APD on premium and business tickets? Would this benefit not primarily accrue to already relatively wealthy people? (And be very concentrated in the South East of England because most flights at regional airports are economy only?)

Personally I think until someone invents a viable electric airliner the only way taxes on flying can go is up.
People who travel business or premium economy can’t necessarily be described as wealthy. High taxes doesn’t necessarily mean maximum income; lower duty on premium classes might infact mean more people travelling premium classes thus more money.

Secondly, I would say that just having two tiers means that the mid range classes inevitably pay more as a proportion of the ticket cost.

paddington

Abolish completely and replace with tax on aviation fuel, so that the tax charged is a more accurate reflection of distance flown and carbon emissions. In any case APD is incident on airlines (except on award tickets) so airlines can decide how to apportion the tax to revenue received from each passenger.

I would also have a flat "user charge" on landing and takeoff slots i.e. a charge per airplane movement, so that airlines are encouraged to use more efficient aircraft that transports more passengers.

rebmcr

Established Member
Abolish completely and replace with tax on aviation fuel, so that the tax charged is a more accurate reflection of distance flown and carbon emissions. In any case APD is incident on airlines (except on award tickets) so airlines can decide how to apportion the tax to revenue received from each passenger.

I would also have a flat "user charge" on landing and takeoff slots i.e. a charge per airplane movement, so that airlines are encouraged to use more efficient aircraft that transports more passengers.

Impossible without global agreement, therefore just impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.