• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Application forms and a CV??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class 455

Confused about this. Most applications seem to be done purely by filling in an application form but some companies also give you the option to attach a CV to your application.

East Coast give this option and their FAQ page seems to suggest it is just an option but if I was applying to them I would feel it was best to include one if the option is there.

FirstGroup also have the option to attach not only a CV but also a covering letter. However having read their FAQ and a number of other pages on their site, there seems to be no mention of including a CV or writing a covering letter to go with the application.

I was just wondering how essential including these is and whether the company is likely to look at them much if they have a completed application form? Or does it depend on the level of the position you're applying for?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ultrajapa

I got my job as trainee train driver with ScotRail without submitting CV or covering letter, just completed online application.

Class 455

Thats interesting. So maybe an application form is all thats needed then. I have to admit, I much prefer application forms myself, that way you can give the company exactly the information they want.

Anyone else have similar experiences with these companies?

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
From a recruitment viewpoint, I don't really see a lot of merit in attaching a CV to an application form. Most of the ones I see are almost identical, incorporating the most modern buzz words and phrases that are currently in vogue amongst CV creation websites and training providers.

Far better in my view to use your own words in the relevant section(s) of the form itself. One of my biggest personal pet hates is when someone merely copies and pastes a CV written in the style of a third party into an application form. It really doesn't tell the prospective employer very much at all, especially when you consider that most of the information in it is replicated elsewhere.

Harlesden

Speaking from personal experience, the private sector organizations working in conjunction with local Job Centres providing assistance and guidance to the unemployed insist on both a CV and a covering letter being attached to every application the unemployed person makes except in cases where the employer has specifically stated application form only.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Speaking from personal experience, the private sector organizations working in conjunction with local Job Centres providing assistance and guidance to the unemployed insist on both a CV and a covering letter being attached to every application the unemployed person makes except in cases where the employer has specifically stated application form only.

Then they are sadly out of touch with the real world. But since I am sure they make money out of providing these service, by helping their clients with their CB's they are, at least, striving to ensure that they remain in business! :D

Seriously, I know that this is a policy as one of my friends runs these sort of 'guidance' courses for a private sector training provider. He doesn't agree with it either, but has to do as he is told.

TheVicLine

Surely if you want the job you would do everything possible to enhance your chances and attach a CV covering letter, can't see why you wouldn't do this if given the option.

Class 455

From a recruitment viewpoint, I don't really see a lot of merit in attaching a CV to an application form. Most of the ones I see are almost identical, incorporating the most modern buzz words and phrases that are currently in vogue amongst CV creation websites and training providers.

Far better in my view to use your own words in the relevant section(s) of the form itself. One of my biggest personal pet hates is when someone merely copies and pastes a CV written in the style of a third party into an application form. It really doesn't tell the prospective employer very much at all, especially when you consider that most of the information in it is replicated elsewhere.

I have to say, I agree with most of what you said. Most of the time the CV will pretty much repeat the same information thats in the application form except less specific to that particular application.

Surely if you want the job you would do everything possible to enhance your chances and attach a CV covering letter, can't see why you wouldn't do this if given the option.

Because a lot of the time a CV won't give the employer any information they won't get from the application form. Personally I make alterations to my CV for most times I send it out. If theres an application form, its probably better to spend that time and energy on that rather than an tailoring the CV. As for covering letters, they are something that I loathe (and I know I'm not alone). They are generally just there to give an introduction to an application by CV. Attached to an application form, I can't see that they're going to give any additional information.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator

It may not enhance your chances. It may do quite the reverse!

455driver

Veteran Member
If they say 'fill in the application form' is the opportunity there though?

If I had asked somebody to fill in the application form and they insisted on adding covering letters and CVs I would say they have failed to carry out the instructions given so they would go straight in the bin.

Also a lot of companies use computers to do an initial sift and they wont be able to read anything but the application form and so would reject any applications which had 'addons'.

I once had to sit a test where we were told to read all questions before writing our answers down, the last question stated 'put your name at the top of the paper, ignore all other questions, sit back and fold your arms'. Out of the 15 of us in the room only 3 of us did as we were asked, the other 12 didnt read the questions first and were busy answering all the questions as quickly as they could, they all failed the test. :lol:

ALWAYS carry out the instructions as listed, do not add anything they have not asked for is my basic understanding because they need to get through the applications as quick as possible and are not interested in all the 'fluffy' stuff, that is what interviews are for.

PeteH

The initial post specifically mentioned that an opportunity to attach a CV/covering letter existed. Therefore, in doing so it would not be a case of submitting something that could lead to rejection simply by the fact of being present.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
The initial post specifically mentioned that an opportunity to attach a CV/covering letter existed. Therefore, in doing so it would not be a case of submitting something that could lead to rejection simply by the fact of being present.

I agree. But the content sof the CV may not help the applicant.

Perhaps it is also a cunning way to sift applications? Add the ability to attach a CV, then reject everyone who does so, after putting in a line about 'Attaching a CV will cause your application to be rejected' :lol: I wonder how many people would be caught out?! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.