• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Applying for a job during lockdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComUtoR

Established Member
I know your TOC is highly reliant on overtime anyway, but I am surprised giving the reduced services and turns required!

There is a lot to do with how the rosters work and how inefficient and rigid they are. Training and booked leave are still ongoing so you need that to be covered. Depot sickness is up and up at other depots so you also need to cross cover work. Our Drivers are still being pulled off for assessments too.

The diagrams are all STP/VSTP but they don't reflect the normal establishment levels or master rostered diagrams, so you get a situation where SP cover falls outside the normal movement and you have an inbalance with early lates. We have composite diagrams that need to get covered and are usually because one Drivers is being replaced by two or more.

All things being relative, although the service has been reduced. So has staff availability.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

baz962

Established Member
Well I posted that at home, being paid for not being at work, after being told to stay at home until further notice. :rolleyes:
Are you getting full pay off the company or the 80% through the government.

Stigy

Established Member
Did the company tell you that you were being furloughed and did you agree to it?
No on both counts (they didn’t mention the term ‘furlough’ if that’s what you mean?

I appreciate that the use of the term ‘furlough’ has been widely used by Government to describe when a company effectively has to lay staff off for a period of time because they can’t afford to pay them, which isn’t the case (mostly) on the railway. However, the term just means a leave of absence, which in effect, we’ve been made to take for a few reasons.

You could argue very loosely indeed, that we are working from home...but this hasn’t been communicated to those not in the classroom stages. I’m using the time to do what I can, work related (revision and rulebook stuff etc.), but I’m at a stage where there is no structured training to do going forward.

Last edited:

dctraindriver

No on both counts (they didn’t mention the term ‘furlough’ if that’s what you mean?

I appreciate that the use of the term ‘furlough’ has been widely used by Government to describe when a company effectively has to lay staff off for a period of time because they can’t afford to pay them, which isn’t the case (mostly) on the railway. However, the term just means a leave of absence, which in effect, we’ve been made to take for a few reasons.

You could argue very loosely indeed, that we are working from home...but this hasn’t been communicated to those not in the classroom stages. I’m using the time to do what I can, work related (revision and rulebook stuff etc.), but I’m at a stage where there is no structured training to do going forward.
So by definition you have not been furloughed as one of the other posters stated. Some of our trainees are still coming in and cleaning cabs end of each journey. You could always volunteer for that I suppose. Keep your rules and revision up. You’ll be back soon fingers crossed.

Just a quick edit, trainees coming in was happening a fortnight ago, I can’t say for certain that’s still the case.

Last edited:

Stigy

Established Member
So by definition you have not been furloughed as one of the other posters stated. Some of our trainees are still coming in and cleaning cabs end of each journey. You could always volunteer for that I suppose. Keep your rules and revision up. You’ll be back soon fingers crossed.
Nope, we’ve been told to stay at home on full pay and told there are no plans in place to have us doing other tasks (to me, that’s in effect telling us we are on leave until further notice....if I’m not to use the correct definition). Anything work related I’m doing, is using initiative, as there’s been no instruction. I’m restricted anyway in terms of any practical work I can go and do formmybTOC because of my location having a very limited service by my TOC on a normal day, let alone with the current situation.

I would happily do something else to help out. I think it’s being pedantic to say one is not furloughed because of the arguments raised. If this continues, that’s not to say plans won’t be put in place of course.

dctraindriver

Nope, we’ve been told to stay at home on full pay and told there are no plans in place to have us doing other tasks (to me, that’s in effect telling us we are on leave until further notice....if I’m not to use the correct definition). Anything work related I’m doing, is using initiative, as there’s been no instruction. I’m restricted anyway in terms of any practical work I can go and do formmybTOC because of my location having a very limited service by my TOC on a normal day, let alone with the current situation.

I would happily do something else to help out. I think it’s being pedantic to say one is not furloughed because of the arguments raised. If this continues, that’s not to say plans won’t be put in place of course.
I think you just need to be right. No problem. Pedantic I am not. Just stating that under the definition of furlough as defined by the Govt guidelines in 2020 due to the virus differs from other methods of furlough used in the past around the world, hence why I’ve said you have not been furloughed. Hope that’s cleared it up.

Stigy

Established Member
I think you just need to be right. No problem. Pedantic I am not. Just stating that under the definition of furlough as defined by the Govt guidelines in 2020 due to the virus differs from other methods of furlough used in the past around the world, hence why I’ve said you have not been furloughed. Hope that’s cleared it up.
The Government are using the term to fit the circumstances (it’s not a definition), which is fine. I was just saying by definition, being off work in this way is being furloughed in one way or another. It’s not about me having to be right, it’s about being realistic. We can agree to disagree.

moorw003

Those that are sent home as ‘spare’ I assume the TOCs are still paying them?

Rightly if so I might say as not of ‘their doing’

I was employed by SWR on the 23rd March. Went to the the corporate induction on the 23rd. Lockdown happened that evening, the following day I was told all training was postponed, wait for further instructions.

That was almost a month ago. The first pay packet has gone in and I'm incredibly relieved to have been taken on given the circumstances. Champing at the bit to get going though.

To be clear, I don't feel like I've been "furloughed". I'm on full pay, waiting to start. I know that using the dictionary defintion of "furlough", then I have been, but what we're talking about here is the government furlough scheme, which is 80% pay, and people have to have been employed before the end of Feb. Clearly when people talk about furlough at the moment, they are referring to the government scheme, so using a dictionary defintion is pedantic!

I should note that in the mean time, the training co-ordinaters have been undertaking Zoom based theoretical training, about 3 hours per day for 2 of the weeks, and I have been informed that train dispatch training in Basingstoke has restarted, and I can expect a date for my training immenently. If I were furloughed, I guess the online training wouldn't have happened, and I wouldn't be on notice to travel to Basingstoke when they call.

Last edited:

theironroad

Established Member
I was employed by SWR on the 23rd March. Went to the the corporate induction on the 23rd. Lockdown happened that evening, the following day I was told all training was postponed, wait for further instructions.

That was almost a month ago. The first pay packet has gone in and I'm incredibly relieved to have been taken on given the circumstances. Champing at the bit to get going though.

To be clear, I don't feel like I've been "furloughed". I'm on full pay, waiting to start. I know that using the dictionary defintion of "furlough", then I have been, but what we're talking about here is the government furlough scheme, which is 80% pay, and people have to have been employed before the end of Feb. Clearly when people talk about furlough at the moment, they are referring to the government scheme, so using a dictionary defintion is pedantic!

I should note that in the mean time, the training co-ordinaters have been undertaking Zoom based theoretical training, about 3 hours per day for 2 of the weeks, and I have been informed that train dispatch training in Basingstoke has restarted, and I can expect a date for my training immenently. If I were furloughed, I guess the online training wouldn't have happened, and I wouldn't be on notice to travel to Basingstoke when they call.

SWR employees aren't furloughed in line with the government scheme. Many SWR employees who can do their day job from home are doing so and others such as trainees are either doing some stuff online or are just being told not to report for work unless a suitable scheme is in place for social distancing.

I believe that inorder to qualify for the government covid furloughed scheme you are not allowed to do ANY work for the company (at home or elsewhere) you work for while getting the 80%

matt_world2004

Established Member
TfL are furloughing staff from next week so there doesn't appear to be an industry agreement not to furlough staff.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I believe that inorder to qualify for the government covid furloughed scheme you are not allowed to do ANY work for the company (at home or elsewhere) you work for while getting the 80%

Correct, if you're furloughed you basically don't work for the company any more and can't have access to anything at all in relation to it. For instance, a local pub has furloughed all the staff including the landlord, and he cannot even use the pub's Facebook page to post random banter and the likes - he explained this on there.

You can however get a different job with a different company, just as you can have more than one job normally provided it's possible to meet the requirements of both of them.

matt_world2004

Established Member
Correct, if you're furloughed you basically don't work for the company any more and can't have access to anything at all in relation to it. For instance, a local pub has furloughed all the staff including the landlord, and he cannot even use the pub's Facebook page to post random banter and the likes - he explained this on there.

You can however get a different job with a different company, just as you can have more than one job normally provided it's possible to meet the requirements of both of them.
You are allowed to undertake training for the company while furloughed however your pay must be at least minimum wage while furloughed.

D365

Veteran Member

Would I be right in saying that if you're on furlough from a full time job, you should only be working a temporary job where the hours don't conflict with your furloughed job.

matt_world2004

Established Member
Would I be right in saying that if you're on furlough from a full time job, you should only be working a temporary job where the hours don't conflict with your furloughed job.
No you can work in a temporary job that would normally clash with your full time job. Providing your employment contract allows it.

theironroad

Established Member
TfL are furloughing staff from next week so there doesn't appear to be an industry agreement not to furlough staff.

There is a agreement between the main rail unions and the RDG that covers the franchised TOCs.

TFl is not a TOC, it's umbrella organisation for what it does - London's transportation system.

Eurostar, freight companies and open access TOCs (grand Central, hull trains etc) aren't covered by the agreement either.

matt_world2004

Established Member
The email I had from aslef , said they were briefed by tfl , saying that non operational staff were being furloughed with salaries protected
Yes but it is not exclusively non operstional staff that are being furloughed. Staff that are operational but for whom its too unsafe to do their job and whom the organisation can survive without in the short term are being furloughed

Chingy

SWR employees aren't furloughed in line with the government scheme. Many SWR employees who can do their day job from home are doing so and others such as trainees are either doing some stuff online or are just being told not to report for work unless a suitable scheme is in place for social distancing.

You can be asked to do any training whilst furloughed, during your normal working hours, to keep your competencies up. You can also do volunteer work that does not generate revenue for your company.

Taken from government website.

Last edited:

matt_world2004

Established Member
You can be asked to do any training whilst furloughed, during your normal working hours, to keep your competencies up. You can also do volunteer work that does not generate revenue for your company.

I say this as with experience.
However if your furloughed wage drops below minimum wage you can't be asked to do any training.

Status
Not open for further replies.