• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Apprentice recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raty1

I am 17 and had an email tonight saying I am through the first part of the online application and now have 7 days to do an online test. Could anyone help with what questions I may be asked. There are 18 questions in groups of 6 and its timed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Marri260

I see. If it was for the Underground then I could have offered advice...best of luck with your application anyway!

Raty1

Yes permit to travel its that one
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I have now made it to the telephone interview for network rail does anyone have any tips on what they might ask please. I'm 17 and haven't done this before.

Raty1

I have had email today to say I am on the reserve list for the Network Rail apprentice. Does this mean its over for me this year or do i still have a chance - gutted

XCTurbostar

Established Member
I have had email today to say I am on the reserve list for the Network Rail apprentice. Does this mean its over for me this year or do i still have a chance - gutted

I've been through this process in 2013 all the way through to the last step before NR dropped me because of my experience (I hadn't done a course which was recognized.. or something..)

Luckily, A contractor picked me up and since then I've been part of the railway family!

Thanks,
Ross

Raty1

I've been through this process in 2013 all the way through to the last step before NR dropped me because of my experience (I hadn't done a course which was recognized.. or something..)

Luckily, A contractor picked me up and since then I've been part of the railway family!

Thanks,
Ross

How did you get noticed by the contractor. Was that from a different job you applied for?

XCTurbostar

Established Member
How did you get noticed by the contractor. Was that from a different job you applied for?

As part of the NR process you were interviewed by different contractors but without any branding and you had to complete a series of tests such as type of track and route to be used on a section of HS2 line.

If NR declined your CV to their process, the Contractor had the chance to take a look at the CVs of the not so lucky people and interview them for their own companies.

If you ask me its just down to luck that you impress someone that's there!

Thanks,
Ross

alxndr

Established Member
I was a reserve and managed to get a job by accepting to be relocated to the Western route where they had only filled half the places they needed to. It was the first year they trialled doing that though, and not sure if they ever did it again (especially as a handful of people have said they can't cope with moving and applied to go back to where they came from).

I know there were some others who were on the reserve list and got places too, mostly if people dropped out. It's not the end of the road, but I'd start making plans for if it doesn't work out, as not all reserves get a spot.

Raty1

I had a call from NR on Monday asking me to take my passport to a local office to be photocopied, it was out of date a the assessment centre and I now have a new one. It was back in April i attended the assessment centre and made the waiting list. I as told not to worry about ID unless they were going to offer me a place. Does it look promising that after 2 months of not hearing anything they have got in touch with me about this now?

Saltire

Well Done!
I certainly wouldn't take it as an offer of employment but it is definitely a positive :D:D
With most worthwhile careers the recruitment process can be lengthy and the railway is no different.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, let us know how you get on

TDK

Established Member
I had a call from NR on Monday asking me to take my passport to a local office to be photocopied, it was out of date a the assessment centre and I now have a new one. It was back in April i attended the assessment centre and made the waiting list. I as told not to worry about ID unless they were going to offer me a place. Does it look promising that after 2 months of not hearing anything they have got in touch with me about this now?

Have you been asked to attend a medical?

Raty1

I haven't been called for a medical but the assessment centres only finished on 25th June which is why I thought I may still be in with a chance.

alxndr

Established Member
You're still in for a chance for a while yet (people can drop out after offers etc), but I'd not think of it as certain yet. They do tend to keep their options open for as long as possible in regards to the reserves, for example I was asked to complete the online security clearance for HMS Sultan/Collingwood a fair while before getting mention of an offer "just in case" as it causes havoc and hefty hotel bills for them if you're not cleared in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.