• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Approaching cautionary signals...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LCC106

Established Member
SG to me means “standing” as @theironroad says above. Or Signaller (in my mind as you are notifying them of your presence)

zwk500

Veteran Member
I make no claim to know authoritatively the origin of the term! :D I always presumed it was just the closest onomatopoeic match for the 'signal' button, but then I'm neither a Driver nor Signaller.

adc82140

Established Member
I have no involvement in the rail industry. Therefore all I have to add is this...

Ruddy trains!

Attachments

• tv-Beeching4.jpg
    tv-Beeching4.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 86

ComUtoR

Established Member
Signal Green because whenever you press it the signal suddenly steps up...

theironroad

Established Member
Across
7 - Response from drivers upon receiving 15 (4)
Does it begin with F?

Signal Green because whenever you press it the signal suddenly steps up...

Don't know why but hadn't thought of that, good one. Maybe it's part of the plan to automate signalling, wait a few seconds for line to (hopefully :) ) be clear then change the signal from the cab.

4F89

2 yellows (power off, invariably a class 6), into initial
1 yellow, ensure speed is at 40 - 4.5 bar
Approaching Red from the single - shout or sing to myself, "red ahead m*****f****r"
At red magnet, 10, coasting generally to a stand.

Yes, I sing a lot. Badly. I swear like a trooper most of the time anyway...

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Ooh you drivers are a very impatient bunch (I'm sure much of this is tongue in cheek)! From the control side, you can definitely see times where conflicts are going to happen with not much the signaller can do - you can never know what's happened down or up the line.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Ooh you drivers are a very important bunch (I'm sure much of this is tongue in cheek)! From the control side, you can definitely see times where conflicts are going to happen with not much the signaller can do - you can never know what's happened down or up the line.
:D

Thanks for that.

ComUtoR

Established Member
I may or may not have "accidentally" corrected your obvious typo <D

SignallerJohn

Press 'SG' on the GSMR as soon as the double yellow comes into view and start grumbling about the signaller off making a brew.

:) :) :)
Always appreciated at 0300 when you’ve given up a line blockage and not put the ‘A’ button back on!!

387star

On Moderation
Down the West Coastway I hold back and wait for a Green because the Red is often protecting a level crossing. Makes sense to hang back and then not have to crawl to the red especially on a fast service

pompeyfan

Established Member
A driver friend of mine says that on a 90/100mph stretch on sighting a double yellow it’s down to 60 and single yellow is 40 as a general rule

Stigy

Established Member
A driver friend of mine says that on a 90/100mph stretch on sighting a double yellow it’s down to 60 and single yellow is 40 as a general rule
On sighting the signal?

My rule of thumb is to power off on sighting the signal regardless of single or double yellow (I’d generally start braking on sight if it’s a short section) but based on service braking distance between the first restrictive and the red, I usually start to brake on passing the first yellow. Better err on the side of caution though I guess (literally), and with a single yellow I’d want to be braking before passing it. No one will ever criticise for being cautious. I find at the moment I’m probably over cautious purely because I’ve only just qualified.

As with all these things, route knowledge is key.

Last edited:

pompeyfan

Established Member
On sighting the signal?

My rule of thumb is to power off on sighting the signal regardless of single or double yellow (I’d generally start braking on sight if it’s a short section) but based on service braking distance between the first restrictive and the red, I usually start to brake on passing the first yellow. Better err on the side of caution though I guess (literally). No one will ever criticise for being cautious. I find at the moment I’m probably over cautious purely because I’ve only just qualified.

As with all these things, route knowledge is key.

on sighting the signal it’s a comfortable breaking down to those speeds. If they were doing a ton past a double yellow and only shut off, breaking on the single yellow you’d need an uncomfortable amount of break to get the speed down before any grids etc. I agree though that route knowledge is key. There’s a signal well known for given Suburban drivers bruised finger nails gripping the secondmans side. Double yellow, doing 80 and still wide open, absolutely no risk and a very slow brake curve onto a station with a red on the end.

387star

On Moderation
on sighting the signal it’s a comfortable breaking down to those speeds. If they were doing a ton past a double yellow and only shut off, breaking on the single yellow you’d need an uncomfortable amount of break to get the speed down before any grids etc. I agree though that route knowledge is key. There’s a signal well known for given Suburban drivers bruised finger nails gripping the secondmans side. Double yellow, doing 80 and still wide open, absolutely no risk and a very slow brake curve onto a station with a red on the end.
Yes there's a signal outside Peterborough which if a double yellow I'd whiz by happily at 100 as it's miles to the Red

seagull

Doing 125mph and spotting a double yellow in the rapidly diminishing distance (or worse, on a curve or at a poor sighting location) is something of an adrenaline booster, to say the least. But I aim for 80 at the double and 40-50 at the single in an ideal world. The worst situation being a poorly sighted double yellow, a very short signal section to the single yellow, at which speed may still be 80+, and relying on route knowledge (and a good brake) to be sure that TPWS or worse isn't going to cause a tea and biscuits incident.

MarkyT

Established Member
Doing 125mph and spotting a double yellow in the rapidly diminishing distance (or worse, on a curve or at a poor sighting location) is something of an adrenaline booster, to say the least. But I aim for 80 at the double and 40-50 at the single in an ideal world. The worst situation being a poorly sighted double yellow, a very short signal section to the single yellow, at which speed may still be 80+, and relying on route knowledge (and a good brake) to be sure that TPWS or worse isn't going to cause a tea and biscuits incident.
Not a driver, but as a signal engineer cab-riding I experienced the heightened tension when an unexpected cautionary aspect comes into sight and seems to approach at an alarming rate. At least I can trust (hope!) my fellow professionals have spaced out the signals correctly to account for braking distance. It is no surprise that regulators have ruled that cab signalling is a necessity for any increase in speed over 125mph.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Not a driver, but as a signal engineer cab-riding I experienced the heightened tension when an unexpected cautionary aspect comes into sight and seems to approach at an alarming rate. At least I can trust (hope!) my fellow professionals have spaced out the signals correctly to account for braking distance. It is no surprise that regulators have ruled that cab signalling is a necessity for any increase in speed over 125mph.

A lot of faith gets put into the signalling system. Like the previous couple of posters I've comfortable whizzed past a single yellow around 60mph but going 70mph on greens and seeing the signal step down as it passes the window makes you swear rather profusely.

For me; I've gone back to the old school 'rule of thirds' Drop it by a third at 2Y then by another third at the 1Y. Other than using a consistent braking technique; commentary driving at all times when under cautionary aspects. Press and Call used every time.

peteb

From the passenger's perspective it's often intriguing how quickly (or not) a train slows on sighting a double yellow. On my local Snow Hill line for example, with a line speed of 75mph, trains used to approach Kidderminster at a fair pace from the north even on double yellow but often nowadays reduce speed dramatically and trundle into the station. Maybe the timetable is so slack there's no need to wear the brake discs out? Or maybe it's better to just ensure a slow enough speed in case the signal at the end of the platform turns red?

Stigy

Established Member
From the passenger's perspective it's often intriguing how quickly (or not) a train slows on sighting a double yellow. On my local Snow Hill line for example, with a line speed of 75mph, trains used to approach Kidderminster at a fair pace from the north even on double yellow but often nowadays reduce speed dramatically and trundle into the station. Maybe the timetable is so slack there's no need to wear the brake discs out? Or maybe it's better to just ensure a slow enough speed in case the signal at the end of the platform turns red?
It’s always best to crawl up to reds to be safe. Driving habits change or are changed over the years due to professional driving policies etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.