• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

April Fool's Day, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
It 's become increasingly difficult to spot the hoaxes in amongst the supposedly true stuff, and this year probably almost impossible, in addition to which there's probably little appetite for it, but a chance here to post any you see that might pass the test.

I'll only say that if you see ''Donald Trump admits he was so,so wrong'' about anything, it's a hoax, whereas if you read ''pensioner gets tasered by Derbyshire police for going outside for second time in a day'' it could well be true.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

edwin_m

Veteran Member
This year any virus-related April Fool is probably unacceptable on the grounds of public safety. However ridiculous it seems, someone somewhere will believe it and add to the collective stress out there.

JamesT

Established Member
Yep. Lord knows what Charlie Brooker will have to say about this year?

Unfortunately 2016 was the last time he did one of those. Though given his previous comments about when he might do another one...

However, Brooker is not averse to returning to the Wipe format at some stage in the future, saying he would like to do a "Final Wipe".

"I always like the idea of doing a Final Wipe. When the world really is about to ******* end,” he said.

(from https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...c-screenwipe-black-mirror-final-a8943201.html )

Last edited by a moderator:

Howardh

Established Member
Bury readmitted to the Football League will be going round these parts *sighs*.

scotrail158713

Established Member
My Dad messaged me this morning to say Nicola Sturgeon is banning the sale of alcohol as too many people are making unnecessary journeys to go and buy it :D

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
There was an amusing story on the news about how Llandudno has been taken over by mountain goats, but I think that's a bit too wacky to be believeable.... ;)

Howardh

Established Member
There was an amusing story on the news about how Llandudno has been taken over by mountain goats, but I think that's a bit too wacky to be believeable.... ;)
I don't know if Gibraltar is under lockdown (anyone?) but if it is those pesky monkeys will be down in the town searching for food.

jbqfc

this one been doing the rounds on facebook

Did you read that as of last night that all our phone manufacturers updated their software that enables you take take your own temperature reading? You open the camera, and take a selfie with your tongue out. Mine read as 36.3 C! Helps if you post the results in the comments (pics included)!

jon0844

Veteran Member
I once reviewed a smartphone that really could measure temperature thanks to an integrated thermal imaging camera.

AndrewE

Established Member

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Kate Humble did "Tweet of the day" this morning (0557 on R4) about a very uncommon migrant bird. It was almost believable...
My money is on the "Nightingales likely to fail to migrate to UK because their wings have got smaller with global warming." (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52111309) especially as the link to the supposedly-published scientific article takes you here:
https://academic.oup.com/auk/article-lookup/doi/10.1093/auk/ukaa012.
Black humour warning - they're all donating themselves to new hospitals.

DelW

Established Member
Kate Humble did "Tweet of the day" this morning (0557 on R4) about a very uncommon migrant bird. It was almost believable...
My money is on the "Nightingales likely to fail to migrate to UK because their wings have got smaller with global warming." (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52111309) especially as the link to the supposedly-published scientific article takes you here:
https://academic.oup.com/auk/article-lookup/doi/10.1093/auk/ukaa012.
I was well into the tweet about the "fair pollo" before the references to Essex Highlands and estuarine reedbeds in Hertfordshire and Northamptonshire alerted me. In my defence I was only just awake at the time.
Still not sure about the nightingales though ...

Calthrop

Established Member
Something noted by chance today, April 1st: on a railway-related matter, I happened to Google the town of Dunbar, east of Edinburgh. Under the initial heading, on the first page, which links to the Wikipedia article on said town (it's standard, below the heading "*** -- Wikipedia", to quote the first few lines of the Wiki article): the first thing which one read was "Dunbar -- It is the most dangerous place in uk and the schools are filled with killers." [Followed a bit of fairly meaningless "burble", seemingly to fill up a line.] When the link was clicked on, accessing the full article -- unsurprisingly, the just-cited was nowhere in the article. This has just got to be an April Fools' Day prank (this "non-standard" bit was still there below the initial heading, when I checked a little while ago at about 2245 hrs). I do wonder what the joker has got against poor old Dunbar...

Last edited:

SteveP29

There was an amusing story on the news about how Llandudno has been taken over by mountain goats, but I think that's a bit too believable to be wacky.... ;)

Fixed that for you ;)

Something noted by chance today, April 1st: on a railway-related matter, I happened to Google the town of Dunbar, east of Edinburgh. Under the initial heading, on the first page, which links to the Wikipedia article on said town (it's standard, below the heading "*** -- Wikipedia", to quote the first few lines of the Wiki article): the first thing which one read was "Dunbar -- It is the most dangerous pace in uk and the schools are filled with killers." [Followed a bit of fairly meaningless "burble", seemingly to fill up a line.] When the link was clicked on, accessing the full article -- unsurprisingly, the just-cited was nowhere in the article. This has just got to be an April Fools' Day prank (this "non-standard" bit was still there below the initial heading, when I checked a little while ago at about 2245 hrs). I do wonder what the joker has got against poor old Dunbar...

We go to Dunbar for a golfing weekend as often as we can, always made to feel very welcome and love a night in the Eagle (they share their late Saturday night opening with the Black Bull over the road so that they don't take trade from each other, one week the Eagle is open late and vice versa)

Calthrop

Established Member
I Googled again just now (about 1005 Thursday 2nd) -- the "libel" is still in place as described in my post. I'm amazed that Google / Wikipedia have not, in response to many communications, acted to fix it !?

The only thing I knew hitherto concerning Dunbar, is that it features in the song "Hey Johnnie Cope", about the Battle of Prestonpans in the 1745 Jacobite uprising (a quick and easy victory for the rebels) -- Sir John Cope being at the time, the top military commander in the area. The song begins, "Cope sent a challenge frae Dunbar..."

Status
Not open for further replies.