• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are all Amtrak trains reservations compuslory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

williamn

I'm going to be taking the train up to New York from Washington soon and wondered if you always have to commit to a train in advance or if there is such a thing as an open ticket?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I think I only travelled once unreserved on Amtrak, and the conductor found me a seat quite quickly.

I'm quite sure they do have open return tickets.

Washington-New York is quite busy and expensive. (about $140-160)

Interestingly, SC-USA's Megabus and First's BoltBus only take 40mins longer and fares are about $25. Buses are comfortable with aircon, WiFi, plug sockets, and toilet.

Unlikely to use the train again between Boston-New York or Washington.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
on the other hand the traffic is horrendous

don't know if you get allocated seats on Acela, but Northeast Regional are reservation compulsory but you don't get an allocated seat

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Amtrak is all reserved, but only the service, not the specific seats.

On long distance (LD) trains, passengers are assigned carriages depending on where they board/disembark, so as to minimise disruption for other passengers, and to minimise the needs for the train to stop multiple times at stations with short platforms or staging areas.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Amtrak is all reserved, but only the service, not the specific seats.

On long distance (LD) trains, passengers are assigned carriages depending on where they board/disembark, so as to minimise disruption for other passengers, and to minimise the needs for the train to stop multiple times at stations with short platforms or staging areas.

This was certainly the case when I travelled on the Adirondack between Montreal and New York. Montreal passengers were kept in 3 carriages at the front of the train, the other coaches being for people alighting at intermediate stops. This also aided in keeping passengers together for the passport checks at the US border.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
This was certainly the case when I travelled on the Adirondack between Montreal and New York. Montreal passengers were kept in 3 carriages at the front of the train, the other coaches being for people alighting at intermediate stops. This also aided in keeping passengers together for the passport checks at the US border.

Indeed. In fact I believe the number of cross border passengers is capped at two or three cars (depending on the seasons) because the State of New York (who subsidise the service) want to ensure capacity for domestic travel. I think it's also to make sure that the border crossing doesn't take even longer than it already does.

Barton Keyes

Probably best to assume that all trains require reservations but there are a few exceptions, such as some shorter routes out of Chicago.

Clip

Established Member
I dont remember having a reservation when I done Miami to Orlando.. Though that was back in 2008. I do remember drinking an awful lot of Samuel Adams though on that trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.