• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are Glasgow to Oban services still operating the full route?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaryBrown156

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me with a query I have about Oban bound services from Glasgow?. A few weeks ago I recall seeing a post on here mentioning that there there would be a school train running between Dalmally and Oban. the service we usually catch (the 5.20 from Glasgow) normally operates this "school train" iirc so I thought I would check the Scotrail website to see if this would have any implications on our journey. Whilst the website does indeed mention a school only train and that a replacement bus would be operating between Dalmally and Oban it is not clear whether this just applies to passengers travelling to/from intermediate stations between Dalmally and Oban or if Glasgow passengers are also expected to de-train at Dalmally and switch onto a bus and if so what services this applies to?. Today whilst I was passing through queen street station I asked a scotrail employee about this but according to him all Oban bound trains from Glasgow where still running as normal (I didn't have time to check at the ticket office as I was in a hurry). If anyone could answer this question I would be extremely grateful as it could potentially have implications for our planned trip to Mull in a few weeks time. Changing from train to bus mid journey would be impractical for us so if that's what is expected we may have to ammend our travel times, look into alternative options or potentially cancel our trip so we would rather know in advance than take it chance on the day.

Thanks
Kind regards

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

berneyarms

Established Member
Between Dalmally and Oban the 05:20 train from Glasgow is exclusively for schoolchildren.

That means anyone on the 05:20 from Glasgow or any station between there and Dalmally will have to switch to the bus at Dalmally for onward travel to stations between there and Oban.

Similarly the 16:11 Oban to Dalmally train is exclusively for schoolchildren.

All other trains are operating normally.

Last edited:

Scotrail314209

Established Member
This whole thing about making people deboard the 05:20 service after the majority of their journey to take a bus is silly.

Why can’t they attach (if they have one free) a spare unit and use that as extra capacity.

Or you could have all the passengers move into the front coach at Dalmally and keep the rear for the school children.

berneyarms

Established Member
This whole thing about making people deboard the 05:20 service after the majority of their journey to take a bus is silly.

Why can’t they attach (if they have one free) a spare unit and use that as extra capacity.

Or you could have all the passengers move into the front coach at Dalmally and keep the rear for the school children.

Let’s cut a bit of slack here as we are in highly unusual times with this virus and they are trying to implement social distancing.

That train’s main purpose is to get schoolchildren to Oban, and I suspect the numbers of schoolchildren involved mean that they need more than a single coach.

Given the early departure time from Glasgow, I suspect that the numbers of ordinary passengers that would need to switch to the bus at Dalmally can’t be more than 5 or 10 people.

It is hardly going to cause major issues, there is a six minute wait at Dalmally which allows plenty of time to switch.

There’s no footbridge to cross either. Dalmally has a barrow crossing.

Let’s not make a mountain out of a molehill.

Last edited:

InOban

Established Member
I would be surprised if it's as many as 5-10. 1-2 more likely. But in the past there were up to 15 adults who joined at or after Dalmally as commuters.

berneyarms

Established Member
I would be surprised if it's as many as 5-10. 1-2 more likely. But in the past there were up to 15 adults who joined at or after Dalmally as commuters.
I was being cautious - I cannot imagine there being any great numbers at all that would be discommoded by this by having to change.

The commuters into Oban will probably cope for now - given they come from the same communities as the students, I suspect that they won’t object too much.

Gathursty

Established Member
What is the policy if you get a passenger refusing to vacate the train at Dalmally and demanding to remain on with the schoolkids?

scotraildriver

Established Member
There are approx 130 kids on the train so it is full and threre are no spare units to make it a 4 car. As it is a school contract paid for by Argyll and Bute council they have stipulated its for kids only. The 16.11 to Dalmally always was but ran as a normal passenger service anyway. Is actually quicker anyway on the bus so I dont see anyone objecting. Its only temporary after all.

InOban

Established Member
It was publicly announced that the train terminates at Dalmally as far as the general public are concerned. So your issue could only happen if someone boarded the train at an intermediate station with an open ticket.
I suspect BTW that there may be a few passengers who join at crianlarich or tyndrum who will be affected.

GaryBrown156

Thanks for the information everyone.

Not the answer I was hoping for but still best to know in advance anyway. I agree that it is silly to force folk to de-train effectively in the middle of nowhere to switch on to a bus for no reason. The 5.20 train between Glasgow and Oban isn't normally overly busy so I am not sure why there wouldn't be space (even on a 2 car 156) to accommodate the ordinary passengers plus the school children?. If my memory serves me correct this train has always been a double 156 (4 carrages) anyway so if it is a social distance issue, I see no reason why the train couldn't be divided (3 cars for school kids and 1 for regular passengers). 1 car even half a car should be more than sufficient to carry passengers on that service.
It is also a poor show from Scotrail as their website isn't 100% clear about these trains only travelling as far as Dalmally (the 5.20 in the timetable is still showing as calling at all stops between Glasgow and Oban with no mention of a replacement bus between Dalmally and Oban). Yes there is a red message at the top of the page which mentions a school train but the wording is ambiguous and far from clear how this affects the public travelling from Glasgow and doesnt mention what services are affected. The Scotrail staff also appear to be unaware of this bustitution malarkey. This morning enroute to work my sister asked another Scotrail employee about this and they said the same as the employee that I asked yesterday (that there was no change to Oban services). She also asked an employee in the travel office and received the same answer so went ahead and purchased the tickets. Regarding our own plans this will most definitely have quite an impact as changing from a train on to a bus at Dalmally is impractical so will mean having to catch a later service, will have a knock on impact on transport at the Oban side and most likely result in us losing a full day.
Whilst I accept these are exceptional times I still think that there could be a better solution than this, and scotrails lack of knowledge/poor communication on this matter does leave a lot to be desired I must say.

berneyarms

Established Member
Thanks for the information everyone.

Not the answer I was hoping for but still best to know in advance anyway. I agree that it is silly to force folk to de-train effectively in the middle of nowhere to switch on to a bus for no reason. The 5.20 train between Glasgow and Oban isn't normally overly busy so I am not sure why there wouldn't be space (even on a 2 car 156) to accommodate the ordinary passengers plus the school children?. If my memory serves me correct this train has always been a double 156 (4 carrages) anyway so if it is a social distance issue, I see no reason why the train couldn't be divided (3 cars for school kids and 1 for regular passengers). 1 car even half a car should be more than sufficient to carry passengers on that service.
It is also a poor show from Scotrail as their website isn't 100% clear about these trains only travelling as far as Dalmally (the 5.20 in the timetable is still showing as calling at all stops between Glasgow and Oban with no mention of a replacement bus between Dalmally and Oban). Yes there is a red message at the top of the page which mentions a school train but the wording is ambiguous and far from clear how this affects the public travelling from Glasgow and doesnt mention what services are affected. The Scotrail staff also appear to be unaware of this bustitution malarkey. This morning enroute to work my sister asked another Scotrail employee about this and they said the same as the employee that I asked yesterday (that there was no change to Oban services). She also asked an employee in the travel office and received the same answer so went ahead and purchased the tickets. Regarding our own plans this will most definitely have quite an impact as changing from a train on to a bus at Dalmally is impractical so will mean having to catch a later service, will have a knock on impact on transport at the Oban side and most likely result in us losing a full day.
Whilst I accept these are exceptional times I still think that there could be a better solution than this, and scotrails lack of knowledge/poor communication on this matter does leave a lot to be desired I must say.

I think you’re being a little bit unfair here.

Post #8 answers the question of numbers. I think that it would be next to near impossible to implement social distancing for the normal passengers with 130 schoolchildren boarding between Dalmally and Oban on a 2-coach train which this is. It isn’t 4-coach.

It isn’t happening for “no reason” - it is an effort to implement social distancing on the section where the loading dictates it is needed.

I would agree that the journey planner should highlight the requirement to change at Dalmally, and the text in the the red box should specify the 05:20 service, but beyond that it is pretty clear that it’s only for schoolkids on that section.

School pupil train only for all stations between Dalmally and Oban. A rail replacement bus will run in place of this service for all other customers. Use station help point for further information.

Regarding changing, do bear in mind that there is no footbridge to cross, and the train has a six minute wait at Dalmally so it wouldn’t be a rush to change if that is the issue.

These are really difficult times and I think we all need to cut the operators some slack, as plans are having to be done “on the hoof” so to speak to deal with the effects of the pandemic.

What is the policy if you get a passenger refusing to vacate the train at Dalmally and demanding to remain on with the schoolkids?
We are talking about maybe 5 people max per train, probably less that would have to change at Dalmally.

Why focus on something that, let’s be honest, is highly unlikely to actually happen?

I suspect that faced with the choice between being crammed into a 2-coach train with 130 kids or socially distancing on a coach for a short period of time, that pretty much everyone would choose the latter in the current circumstances.

Gathursty

Established Member
Why focus on something that, let’s be honest, is highly unlikely to actually happen?

I suspect that faced with the choice between being crammed into a 2-coach train with 130 kids or socially distancing on a coach for a short period of time, that pretty much everyone would choose the latter in the current circumstances.

Sadly there is a noticeable rise in the minority of people who 'have their rights' and don't listen to authority. Whilst the possibility is remote that these will find themselves on the 5.20 to Oban, it's still a possibility that a rather obstinate person will demand that they have paid a ticket for a train, not a train and minibus (no matter how fast the minibus probably is from Dalmally to Oban).

I'm in education so know the appeal of that many kids together all too well. :lol:

InOban

Established Member
Lots of people have purchased a ticket for a train and discovered that part way through they are decanted on to a Coach!

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
There is no mention of this restriction in the public timetable, available on the Scotrail website just now as a pdf.
There is no mention in 'live service information', (11 of 14 routes affected etc) on the main page.
I do find the Scotail website (and other Abellio sites) rather difficult to negotiate, seemingly having what ought to be the same information in several locations - so perhaps somewhere it does get a mention?
It does however appear on the online journey planner, powered by Trainline.

scotraildriver

Established Member
Having regularly witnessed the behaviour of these kids and the state of the train on arrival at Oban a bus replacement would be bliss in comparison!

SargeNpton

Established Member
The published timetable data for this train makes no reference to it being restricted between Dalmally and Oban, so any passenger making a journey enquiry going to stations beyond Dalmally will be offered it with no suggestion of having to change en route.

SteveM70

Established Member
What if they've got a bike? Or a dog? Will they be refused transport on the bus?

That was my first thought too, given most of my journeys on scotrail trains are part of cycling holidays.

InOban

Established Member
And since it's likely to be a coach rather than a bus, it's probably more comfortable than the train.

berneyarms

Established Member
What if they've got a bike? Or a dog? Will they be refused transport on the bus?

I’m sure there are lots of said people at 05:20.

Some of the examples are really verging on obtuse given the time of day that we are talking about.

A little bit of common sense needs to be applied given the circumstances.

DB

Some of the examples are really verging on obtuse given the time of day that we are talking about.

I've no idea whether there are - but in the summer it's quite possible. I think it's a reasonable question and I've really no idea what 'a little bit of common sense' means in this context.

cactustwirly

Established Member

Yes it does, this whole situation is ridiculous.
Why don't ScotRail stick the kids on the RRB so paying passengers from Glasgow aren't affected

RT4038

Established Member
I've no idea whether there are - but in the summer it's quite possible. I think it's a reasonable question and I've really no idea what 'a little bit of common sense' means in this context.

I expect that the bike could stay on the train, with the passenger going by bus, if there is a problem.

As for refusing to alight, do you really want the Police to be called and feel your collar? You have no 'right'to be conveyed in the train. You are not a schoolchild [I assume].

Why don't ScotRail stick the kids on the RRB so paying passengers from Glasgow aren't affected

Because there are many, many more schoolchildren than there are passengers from Glasgow, I expect.

berneyarms

Established Member

130 schoolkids who are the only reason the train actually operates in the first place -v- up to 15 passengers (Most of whom get on after Dalmally) as reported earlier.

A sense of perspective is needed here.

cactustwirly

Established Member
130 schoolkids who are the only reason the train actually operates in the first place -v- up to 15 passengers (Most of whom get on after Dalmally) as reported earlier.

A sense of perspective is needed here.

Every other school copes fine with school buses.
The reason why it's only 15 passengers is that the switching to a RRB is a hassle, so most people wouldn't bother and drive.

DB

I expect that the bike could stay on the train, with the passenger going by bus, if there is a problem.

Unattended. What a good idea that isn't! I assume you aren't suggesting the same for dogs?

berneyarms

Established Member
Every other school copes fine with school buses.
The reason why it's only 15 passengers is that the switching to a RRB is a hassle, so most people wouldn't bother and drive.

Can I politely suggest that you might re-read all of the earlier posts in the thread.

15 is the normal average number of pax on the train into Oban (excluding the 130 schoolkids), and most of those 15 get on between Dalmally and Oban. It has nothing to do with the RRB.

The RRB is only due to the public health requirement to social distance.

scotraildriver

Established Member
The pupils used to travel by bus but Scotrail won the tender so they are contracted to convey them. Before that this train didn't exist. Why on earth would anyone, in the current climate, put themselves at additional risk on a train full of kids who have no requirement to socially distsnce, when a replacement is being provided where you can keep yourself safe and will be in the company of very few people. It's a 20 yard, flat transfer to the coach at Dalmally. You'll be on the coach before the train even leaves and it's been working perfectly well for the last week and a half. The only place there are problems with it is on this forum! (and bikes can go on the bus)

Status
Not open for further replies.