• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are Groupsave tickets now accepted on Crosscountry trains?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Some don't.
True. But I suspect the vast majority don't, as it's the good ones who would & they'll already know most of the correct rules.
But, full marks to all those who do look up if they don't know or if passenger queries it.

TUC

Established Member
True. But I suspect the vast majority don't, as it's the good ones who would & they'll already know most of the correct rules.
But, full marks to all those who do look up if they don't know or if passenger queries it.
And there's the problem. This is about motivation, and some staff needing the integrity to do as good a job as their colleagues.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
But they don't.
That’s not an issue with the ticketing system.

It’s years of institutional poor service, poor training, poor management and lack of discipline.

kieron

Established Member
So you're saying you don't think it would appropriate to advise the passengers that their tickets wouldn't be valid on some of the TOCs that operate the route you are selling?
No, I said that the ticket seller should provide an easy way to find out the restrictions for the discount.
I don't think the phrase "this may restrict how the ticket may be used" is a very good one. It could mean almost anything.
GroupSave restricts how some tickets can be used, but not others. The ticket seller should know more once the customer has asked for a ticket.

I say "should", but the restrictions which are used by online retailers are not that closely aligned to the ones in the terms & conditions. A vague warning and a link to the T&C may be their best option until the data is fixed.

crablab

But if we tell everyone everything it's going to get very time consuming selling tickets. Particularly as many staff selling them don't understand all the rules either.
That's an industry problem to solve. They are responsible for the fares and ticketing system.

If they find that explaining the conditions of GroupSave is too onerous, in a way that's compliant with consumer law, the onus is on them to modify their conditions.

TUC

Established Member
That's an industry problem to solve. They are responsible for the fares and ticketing system.

If they find that explaining the conditions of GroupSave is too onerous, in a way that's compliant with consumer law, the onus is on them to modify their conditions.
No, the onus is for staff to be better at understanding and explaining conditions.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
No, the onus is for staff to be better at understanding and explaining conditions.
Or, perhaps they should be better trained.

Despite there being some great staff, there's enough that seem to know very little about the ticketing system (including how to look it up if they don't know) to suggest that something in the training is going very wrong.

I don't think the average passenger cares if the solution is more information on the ticket, simpler restrictions or better staff training. They don't want to be sold a ticket without knowing how it can (and can't) be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.