• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are LM concerned about revenue on the Cross City Line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestCoast

Established Member
My local line has been the Birmingham Cross City Line for about a year now. Travelling home tonight I was talking to a group of people who admitted to rarely buying tickets outside of peak hours. I've even inadvertently fare evaded when I forgot my N-network pass had run out, but I couldn't purchase a ticket at my destination as the office was closed. When a TVM was malfunctioning at Selly Oak (office also shut due to staffing), I used the Permit to Travel machine, but the fare went uncollected at Longbridge.

Now, I've very occasionally seen revenue inspectors on trains and of course there's manual/auto barriers at a few stations along the route (although I question the effectiveness at New Street). The guards are effectively non-commerical once the train enters Centro territory, I've seen them checking and selling tickets outside the PTE boundary but never within in (not that they could effectively with the short distances involved).

Is LM doing enough I wonder....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rdeez

A couple of weeks back LM were doing a revenue check at Selly Oak, possibly / probably at other stations on the line as well - checking tickets before allowing access to the platforms (easily avoided if you spot them, of course, just buy a ticket) - but more importantly, checking the tickets of people disembarking at the station. They must have expected to be fairly busy as I counted at least 4 staff on the platforms.

Having said that most people do know that although this happens from time to time they're unlikely to be caught the vast majority of the time and I'd imagine fare evasion to be fairly high.

New Street as you say is dubious in its effectiveness - the barriers are only manned during the day, and not at all on Sundays...besides which most of the staff barely glance at your ticket, it's not uncommon for me to walk past holding my ticket while the staff member is checking their mobile phone (doesn't look up), having a conversation (doesn't look up) or nods before my ticket is even within their sight. To be fair to them, it must be the most incredibly dull job - must be hard to maintain concentration for hours on end.

Goatboy

Established Member
The New Street barrier is ineffective and a waste of money, somebody needs to give the people who man it a bit of basic training so that it is no longer possible to pass the gateline using an expired seat reservation for a service last month to a destination 200 miles away.

To be be honest it doesnt even require that much training to check a ticket says todays date on it.

WestCoast

Established Member
The New Street barrier is ineffective and a waste of money, somebody needs to give the people who man it a bit of basic training so that it is no longer possible to pass the gateline using an expired seat reservation for a service last month to a destination 200 miles away.

To be be honest it doesnt even require that much training to check a ticket says todays date on it.

There's one or two members of staff I've come across that check them thoroughly and I've been asked for my railcard before. However, most of the staff give a cursory glance at tickets, and not even that sometimes. In the peaks they can't hold people up too much, but they could be more proactive when its not manically busy.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares

I'd probably prefer inadequately trained barrier staff in that case, for the cases when I'm travelling on a ticket that shows an expiry date of yesterday but is actually valid today (and there are plenty of them about!). "A little training is a dangerous thing..."

dvboy

Established Member
In the peaks they probably just want to keep people moving. They'll recognise the faces of regular commuters and will give benefit of the doubt to someone producing something ticket like over nothing at all, but they'll still spot obvious anomolies. They're more thorough when it's less busy.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
but they'll still spot obvious anomolies.

I raise you a Bitecard. :p

Mind you, that one worked with G4S at Piccadilly overbridge too, although I do find that G4S are more thorough these days.

Chapeltom

Established Member
I raise you a Bitecard. :p

Mind you, that one worked with G4S at Piccadilly overbridge too, although I do find that G4S are more thorough these days.

They are very thorough indeed. A year ago you'd have been able to get through with anything orange, nowadays they check every ticket very well.

Jeni

They are very thorough indeed. A year ago you'd have been able to get through with anything orange, nowadays they check every ticket very well.

And get very desperate to take your tickets off you! No you can't have my Manchester Ctz ticket, I might not be done with it yet!

(They don't like it when you don't give up your ticket, even if you can still use it!)

6Gman

Established Member
In the peaks they probably just want to keep people moving. They'll recognise the faces of regular commuters and will give benefit of the doubt to someone producing something ticket like over nothing at all, but they'll still spot obvious anomolies. They're more thorough when it's less busy.

I was at New Street this week. As I headed for the 'in' barrier I was brushed aside by a woman exiting, doing something to a hand-held device [texting? changing her facebook status?] who made no effort to show a ticket of any sort. There was no response whatever from the member of staff manning the barrier.

The work may be dull, but they are getting paid.

andrewkeith5

Some Oystercards can be used to Moor Street and Snow Hill..

If you mean the Chiltern season weekend offer (which is the only reason I can think of that being the case) then outside of the London Fare Zones you must carry the Season Ticket Record card in order for the ticket to be valid.

PeterY

Established Member
Similar experience on The LM Abbey Line from St Albans. Some evenings I travel on the last train back at from St Albans Abbey to Garston at 21.54 The machine at Abbey only takes cards. On about 40 odd occasions I've only paid twice. I have the cash and willing to pay the conductor but if he can't come though the train, which only has aprox 7 customers, to collect my fare, what am I to do?

LUL

Similar experience on The LM Abbey Line from St Albans. Some evenings I travel on the last train back at from St Albans Abbey to Garston at 21.54 The machine at Abbey only takes cards. On about 40 odd occasions I've only paid twice. I have the cash and willing to pay the conductor but if he can't come though the train, which only has aprox 7 customers, to collect my fare, what am I to do?

Is it not your responsibility to find him rather then him find you?

WestCoast

Established Member
Another thing that irks me about LM's approach to ticketing in the Centro area, is the fact that you can't buy Daytrippers/One Day Cards/West Midlands Day Ranger from TVMs. Now I know the Centro nNetwork tickets are printed on special stock, BUT they're issued by drivers/conductors on the buses and Metro on standard ticket roll.

When I lived in the TfGM area, I knew that if I wanted a day pass of some sort that wasn't sold at the TVMs (and the ticket office was closed), I could buy onboard. With LM's penalty fares, you've got to be more cautious. BUT they definitely shouldn't be allowed to get away with not selling PTEs tickets from TVMs. If all the bus operators can manage it, why on earth can LM not?

PeterY

Established Member
No, it's not.

Not easy to find him.
1) If he's in the back driving cab,
2) I have my bike, which due to platforms being on various sides, I need to move it from one entrance to the other.

I only rarely use the last rain back and I should have mentioned it's about 40 occasions over the last 5 years.

LM conductors have about 4 minutes at St Albans to check and sell tickets. I'm guessing they (LM) assume everyone is going to get off at WTJ and pay at the excess window.

Status
Not open for further replies.